Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The healthy food thread

The healthy food thread

What healthy choices have you made lately? At the grocery store last night I bought oatmeal, whole grain bread, turkey ground meat.

What about you guys? Any recipies? Any suggestions? Anybody invent a whole grain pizza yet? I love whole grain pancakes!!!! I gotta cut some starches from my diet.

Heating tomatos releases more lycopene

Cooking carrots breaks down cell walls and helps the beta carotene to be more easily absorbed.

Tea does not dehydrate you and replaces many things that water does not (although I still drink plenty of water.

taking vitamin C with spinach (and other Iron rich foods) helps your body to better absorb the Iron.

Any facts or tidbits welcomed. Thanks

Oh, and a link to supplement information.
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=43123
    Last edited by bodhitree; 10-06-2006 at 09:58 AM.
    Bless you

From Tufts University Health and Nutrition Letter May 2006 Vol. 24 No. 3

'Benefits to the from the nutrients found in whole eggs (such as polyunsaturated fat, folate, and vitamins A and E) actually may outweigh the potentially adverse effects of their cholesterol.

my own note
    It is still not proven that eggs raise 'bad' cholesterol.
    good HDL cholesterol actually really benefits a person cleaning plaque from artery walls and lower the risk of heart disease.

Can you tell what I do at work?
    Bless you

I have real good cholesterol to begin with, so I eat eggs a moderate amount. I have a thing for devilled eggs and egg salad. I'll make a batch out of a dozen eggs and kill it over 2 or 3 days.

I don't see a whole grain pizza being all that hard. Use whole grain flour instead of all-purpose bleached flour. I'm sure the taste may be a little funky, but you'll get used to it. I only do whole grain pasta now, and that took a serving or 2 to get use to.

For whole grain pasta, I like to cutlet some chicken and cut it into cubes, dice a tomato and let the tomato sit in some italian dressing. Then throw the chicken and tomato into the pasta and mix it up good. Then eat.

One of my more enjoyable chicken dishes is to get boneless breat and slice it in half to thin it out. Dice up fresh rosemary, oregano, and thyme and put that on the chicken. Put a small peice of feta cheese in as well and then fold the breast in half, so all those ingredients are on the inside of it. Lightly brush some milk on the top of the breasts and add a small dash of flour and fread cumbs. Put a tomato slice on top of those and maybe dash a tiny amount of dried rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Cook at 425 for 30 minutes...

I serve that with a gravy made from chicken stock or chicken gravy. Add in a touch of heavy cream with diced mushrooms and shallots. I also like some asparagus or broccoli on the side. If I'm feeling like cheating I'll have some small red potatoes.

---

One dish I just came up with this weekend is to do prepare the chicken breast the same way. Grind up fresh oregano, 1/2 garlic clove, feta cheese in a food processor to make a fine paste. Spread the paste on the chicken and then roll the chicken up, so the paste appears to be a spiral in the chicken. Brush the top with milk and breadcrumbs. Bake at 425... It wasn't bad although it was a little garlic intensive.
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 09-15-2006 at 12:58 PM.

i usually eat a big ass salad made of spinach, red peppers, yellow peppers, borocolli, carrots, peas, tomatoes, sprouts, and then topped with any combo of peperoni, cheese, hot pepper rings, crutons, dressing, etc every day but now i might get teh ecolli and die
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity View Post
    big ass salad(
    Do you toss it?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

I buy a lot of chicken. I usually buy those pre-cooked bbq chickens from the supermarket and a loaf of whole wheat bread. This will give me a sandwich every day of the week, usually.

I of course buy eggs as well but I still eat them with the yolk since I hate wasting anything.

I keep two two liter bottles of water in the fridge and usually drink one a day.

I eat a lot of canned peaches and grapes as well.

I like my Cheerios, too.

I don't expect what I eat to be 100% healthy but it is certainly more healthy than my old diet of pizza pockets, pop/energy drinks (or what I call a "glorified pop"), french fries, chips and bacon double cheese burgers.

Before I got into the night club business I actually worked as a chef for about six years (Planet Hollywood, San Diego is the most well known). *Anyway* I have a whole wheat pizza recipe for you. Now keep in mind whole wheat flour isn't as glutenous as unbleached flour so in order for it to hold together well, rise properly, etc.

You need:

1c. warm water
    1 packet active dry yeast
    1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (can also use rye, soy, etc.)
    1c. unbleached flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2tbls. olive oil

1. Sift together your dry ingredients

2. Place the water in a 2 quart (or larger) mixing bowl and add the yeast. Mix gently until fully dissolved. Stir in half of the flour mixture and the olive oil. Using a wooden spoon combine well and gradually add the rest of the flour. (Remember you can always add more flour but you can't take it back out)

3. Lightly dust the counter surface with flour and knead the dough until it is no longer sticky. Place the dough in a bowl that has been lightly oiled, roll the ball of dough around in the bowl until the surface of it (the dough) is covered with oil. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and let it stand in a warm place for about 1 1/2- 2 hrs. or doubled in size.

4. Uncover the dough and punch down the risen dough. The dough is now ready.

5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Place it on a lightly oiled pan. Allow the dough to relax for a min. or two.

6. Pre-heat the oven at 450. While the oven is heating add your desired toppings to the dough. Place in the oven for 15- 20 mins.

(Now keep in mind all ovens differ slightly, so keep an eye on it.)

Try it out and let me know how you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by HearWa View Post
    I buy a lot of chicken. I usually buy those pre-cooked bbq chickens from the supermarket and a loaf of whole wheat bread. This will give me a sandwich every day of the week, usually.
    Just my general nature makes me leary to buy cooked foods from a grocery store. However with chicken I think there is extra reason to be extremely cautious.

Now that said, I would not eat the chicken the same day it was sold at the store much less 5-6 days later.

All in all I think if we are all sensible about our diet we will be okay. I say just stay away from fried foods, sugar, milk and a few other things and you are going to be okay.

Thats one thing, I try to eat healthy as in get all the nutrients/protein/ect. from the foods I eat, but I still eat a lot of unnatural and processed food. With time and money I will change that. There are so many chemicals and preservatives in so many things.
    Bless you

Franco,

I want to try the recipe, just no time, thanks for posting though!!
    Bless you

That's cool. I have tons of recipes. Any time you guys are interested in something let me know. If I don't have it, I can find it, or figure it out.

I've got some very nice healthy recipes too, which I'lk come back and post when I'm not too busy with bad one-liners!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

The budget healty choices.

wendy's 1.00$ side salad instead of other 1$ crap. I bought a huge box o green tea to take to work every day, Although this week I bought three energy drinks (sugar free sobe no fear) because I was falling asleep in class. Fruits and veggies are the hard part, my wife usually likes a lot of starches at meals. Most of our meals consist of meat, beans, rice (white), potatoes, ect.

I get some fruit juice in in the mornings and take a multi, but I'd really love to up the fruit/veggie intake. Sometimes make smoothies, but lately have had to conserve $ because we want to move this month. Healthy choices can be hard sometimes.
    Bless you

I have mixed grain porridge most mornings sometimes with an apple and sultanas cooked into it. Latte and fruit mid morning, lunch:-huge green salad with chicken, homemade wholemeal bread if I've got some, homemade yoghurt, fruit mid afternoon. often steamed fish and veg for tea ,and more porridge for supper. I also try to have unhealthy treats often enough to stop me getting totally bored with all the salad. But not so often that they become a habit. Today went nuts and bought dougnut and large iced fruit bun but what the hey?, should burn it off easily enough.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer"-- Bruce Graham

Thumbs up

How about this:

http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

pretty informative
    Bless you