In an effort to facilitate serious discussions on all issues relating to self-defense and the martial arts, Kungfumagazine has historically been open to many different viewpoints, and has encouraged members of its Forums to present their opinions as freely as possible. At times this has produced deep insights into martial arts, and has resulted in an increased level of understanding between members of all levels, from many different systems. Other times this unwritten policy of tolerance has resulted in individuals abusing other members, and derailing valuable topics, which have devolved into unseemly shouting matches.

As many of you are aware, KFM has acquired several new tools in order to assist moderators in their duties as facilitators of the Forums. These include a new “infraction” feature, which allows moderators to keep track of the numbers of rules violations a given member may have committed in a given period. There has also been an increase in the controls moderators have over individual posts, such as the ability to delete or edit offensive comments.

I feel it would be helpful to clarify what sort of behaviors are not desired on the KFM Self-Defense Forum, in order to minimize the need to use the new tools.

KFM moderators are mostly volunteers, who are not paid to act as “Forum Cops”. None of us have the desire to take that role. Typically our policy has been to be as unobtrusive as possible, and we generally issue gentle warnings and reminders to members whose posts get out of hand. Most of the time this approach is effective, and I plan on continuing this method into the future.

1. Foul language does not facilitate respectful communication, and it will not be tolerated. Attempts to “disguise” curse words by using symbols i.e. *%^$# is unacceptable as well.

2. You cannot have multiple anonymous accounts. If you are caught all of your accounts will be banned.

3. Blatant free advertising is not allowed. KFM is a commercial enterprise, with an advertising department that will be happy to fill your needs for a fee.

4. Please treat your fellow KFM members with respect. Derogatory comments about race, national origin, gender, sexual preference, and religious preference (or lack thereof) will not be tolerated.

I hope these guidelines serve to keep our communications clear, respectful, and informative as ever.

Thanks for your continued support,

Samurai Jack