Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get serious

Time to get serious

This is a new blog.

Worked out Saturday morning at the boxing gym. Was there a good 2 hours. Did my own workout first and then taught a new girl, it was her first day.

2 rounds of jump rope
    3 rounds of shadow (2 w/weights)
    5 rounds of heavybag

Tried to jog Saturday night and then Sunday afternoon but it was raining.

Diet this weekend was kinda bad; broke down and had some sodas.
    Otherwise, it was chicken and pb&j sandwiches.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I've been waiting for this. Got any short / long term goals you're shooting for?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks

Golden Gloves in Feb.
    Pro by 2008 (maybe earlier & I'll forego GG).
    That's how a cracka eat.

My biggest reason for starting back up is the discipline and the routine.
    I need 'em both to give my life some sort of structure & purpose.
    I should be going back for my masters in January; I should probably be getting a second job if i wanna fix my finances (my main reason for considering going pro); I should be taking dance classes to meet chix - but I don't really wanna do any of that stuff.

I think I'm just getting back to normal and this has been a part of my identity for far too long. I've learned how to enjoy single life on my own and this has always been my favorite way to occupy my time.

Seeing a bunch of people that I not only trained with; but instructed on their first day, getting in the ring recently and having fights was a huge kick in the pants that made me realize that I have to jump into the ring at least once more.

Temperature finally broke here - no more 107 degree days in the gym for a while - so that makes it a lot easier to train.

This thread will have a strict "no whining" policy, let's see how long that lasts. LOL

EDIT:
    Sunday night - Ab Wheel x 10, Pushups (on grip bars) x 20, Ab Wheel x 10, Pushups x 20
    Monday morning - Bodyweight squats (strict form) x 20
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-18-2006 at 03:52 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

monday evening

3 rounds of shadow- 2 with handweights
    6 rounds of heavybag
    2 rounds of double end peanut bag

monday food
    boneless chicken fillets, mashed potatoes, chocolate milk, a banana, a cookie, a veggie smoothie, and a whey drink.

Tuesday morning

ab wheel x 10
    pushups x 20
    bodyweight squat x 20

jogging (3 or 4 miles for over 30 min)

ab wheel x 10
    pushups x 20
    bodyweight squat x 20

breakfast
    2 hash browns, tall glass of chocolate milk, banana

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Thanks
    Pro by 2008 (maybe earlier & I'll forego GG).
    that's the debate I'm having now. The local boxing matches are considered pro. I dunno if I wanna turn pro yet, but from what I've seen, it's not extremely high level in many cases, so I can probably hang with them. I guess there's one way to find out.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

not to sound any good but i think the amateur level in baltimore was higher than the low level pros here, but i'm definitely not complaining.

Hey PC, have you checked out Ross Boxing at all? That guy does some pretty amazing conditioning. I've recently purchased his book "Never Gymless". It's pretty cool. It's one of the best fitness books I've read. Check it out. http://www.rossboxing.com/

Good luck with your goals.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Thanks for the heads up. I've got that site bookmarked here at work, but admittedly haven't read it much yet. I'll sign up for an account so i can check his forum when I get home. Everyone I've talked to has raved about Ross' stuff.

Still takin it a lil bit slow while I get back into shape, but a whole lot less negativity in my life right now.

I like never gymless, but I hate the pulling exercises section. I was expecting more variation than just pullup variations. In the whole section, only 4 exercises aren't pullup variations. The other 16 or so are. The rest is great. The complete boxer's workout is good too.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I like never gymless, but I hate the pulling exercises section. I was expecting more variation than just pullup variations. In the whole section, only 4 exercises aren't pullup variations. The other 16 or so are. The rest is great. The complete boxer's workout is good too.
    Yep, lots of pullup variations. Body rows, towel pullups, rope climbs, chin ups, one arm pullups. Lots of pullups. Tons of pushups, burpees and squats too. It's all great stuff.

I'm currently going through his 50 day program. I'm on Day 15. It's been great so far.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Fell asleep last night after work.
    Jogging in the am really burns me out by the late afternoon.
    I also had to talk to some people on the phone- which is why I went home instead of going to the gym after work in the first place.

Tonite I got a big church function at 7.
    If I can get out of work by 5 (not too likely) then I'll try to go box.
    If I can't, then I'll go jogging and make it up on Thursday.
    Should be a lot of people my age at the church function so I've been looking forward to it.
    It's being held at a pretty good mexican restaurant too (with hot waitresses) which is a double plus.

Somebody's been calling my cell phone between 8 and 10am from an unknown number and not leaving any messages.
    This morning I tried to pick it up and they hung up on me twice.
    Kinda starting to freak me out, have a feeling it's the ex trying to play more mind games.
    Might end up having to get anonymous call blocking on my cell.

EDIT:
    food yesterday - 2 hashbrowns & a banana for breakfast, 2 pb&j sandwiches for lunch, chips and salsa for dinner. Had a can of ginger ale and a can of rc cola - yeah i know how bad they are.

Doctor's appointment here in a few. Hoping I can stay on the Zoloft- it helps me function so much better.

Church function was FUN.
    Lots of cool people and some really cute galz.
    No numbers, but we should be meeting up again soon.

I'm starting to get addicted to working out like I haven't been in a while.
    Snuck in for a quick workout yesterday before going to the dinner:

10 minutes jump rope- lately i've been jumping rope a lot faster than I was. Like I actively jump now instead of suffering through it. It's kind of easier.

10 minutes shadow - first 7 minutes with hand weights. Probably need to clean up my guard. I feel a lot faster than before. My combos are feeling a bit limited, might have to expand the repertoire.

4 straight rounds of heavybag on 4 different bags, worked through rests so it was like 15 or 16 minutes straight.

Short workout but INTENSE.
    Felt good afterward.

Thinking about sneaking out of work to go back to the gym before I go out of town but I may just jog instead coz I'm supposed to stay at work late today.

Went to the doctor yesterday and found out that my cholesterol is bad.
    Last 2 weeks I only jogged twice and my appetite's been coming back so i think that's got something to do with it- my weight hasn't jumped back up all that much.

At least he hooked me up with more Zoloft, but says he wants me to only be on it for 6 months; hopefully I can work something out coz I don't wanna go back to cigs & alcohol to deal with my sad days.

Yesterday just had 2 pb&j, a banana, whey drink, veggie drink, a small cup of powerade, 3 iced teas (unsweetened), chips & salsa, and a chicken taquito.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Went to the doctor yesterday and found out that my cholesterol is bad.
    Well let's see: Hash browns, chips, chocolate milk, PB&J......and God knows what else......

I would have never of guessed!

I eat those things and my cholesterol is fine... what's your point? Last night, I had a bbq t-bone and half of a bbq shoulder. moderation is key. merely eating such foods doesn't equate to high cholesterol.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter