Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get serious

Just got in an argument this morning with a girl I've been talking with.

i realized that I'm not all hung up on what other people think of me anymore- or at least the argument made me so.

I also realized that I gotta do what's good for me sometimes and not be so quick to bite the bullet for someone else.

Most importantly i relearned the lesson that I gotta stop living in the past, letting the past hurt me, and letting it screw up my future.

Told the girl that was b!tchin at me to "suck it" and popped an email to the ex saying "your stuff's still here till christmas but you've gotta do a better job of staying the helloutta my life".

In the future I've gotta do a better job of keeping my mouth shut about my past- stop letting it bug me & keep me from hanging out with better women.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Last night the japanese language group meeting was sooo fun.
    Met a lot of cool folks, even one guy who might be able to get me a job back in Japan. Might be Tokyo instead of Okinawa but still more fun for a single guy like me than here.

Got a call from the first girl who was giving me a hard time, apologizing for the way she came off. We're cool now and back to being friendly.

I'm still actually glad she did what she did though, it was a major kick in the pants to handle my business with the ex and stand up for myself. Once that happened, it became one of the best days ever.

Also got a call from girl in Houston. That situation might not be as over as I thought it was. My bootie hurts though so I'm reluctant to drive back down there.

I was on the phone until real late so jogging was out of the question.
    Ready to go boxing today though.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Man I gotta get my act together.
    This has been a tough week.
    Lots going on with work- work I've had to do on my own time away from the office.
    I've also had a ton of chores that have piled up because I've been out of town so much lately.
    I really need a few days to just veg.
    Couldn't go out of town this week if i wanted to.
    I'm still real tired from the trip to san antonio.
    slept over 10 hours last night and woke up still not feeling refreshed- and no, it's not from sleeping too much either, i know that headache well.
    Had to run errands last night until about 9, gym closes at 8.
    Gotta stay at work tonite till 7 or 8.
    Have a house full of food, which is good- but may end up going broke from the investment of restocking my kitchen.
    Should pay off in the long run, i've gotta have a good month's worth of food.
    Figuring out my schedule/routine, now that it's only just me, has been real tough and the major roadblock stopping me from getting in the gym as much as I'd like.
    Probably easier if I'd just stayed going out to eat all the time, but at least this way the food I eat should be somewhat healthier.

Left work early last night and hit the gym

3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow - 2 w/weights
    6 rounds heavybag

was breaking in some new gloves- Classics, the new label on good ole' fashioned Zepol Mexican gloves. They're 18oz but don't really feel like it. My hands were cramping up by my last round of bag work.

went out for a steak and greenbeans afterwards.
    probably not the best food, admittedly but i was meeting a friend at the restaurant and had a craving for a rare steak.

Saturday was busy but i couldn't get out of bed until after 12 (the time the gym closes) so aside from dancing in the evening it was kinda slow workout wise.

Sunday was all about resting up to get out of this funk I've been in. The only productive thing I did was clean some dishes.

This morning I was up at the crack of dawn, a refreshing change from barely being able to drag myself outta bed lately.
    Got all dressed & ready to go for a jog and walked outside to pouring rain.
    No biggie, just went to work early so I can get off early and go to 2 gyms tonite.

as long as I'm in bed by 10 i should be good.

Probly going to have to get rid of cable here pretty soon- becoming way too expensive. My phone bill came in and was over $200- i didn't even go over my minutes. Something strange is going on.

sweet mama jamma...
    1 honest-to-god day off after a week not doin too much is no joke...

I had the kind of workout i used to do...

3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow - 2 with handweights
    5 rounds heavybag - was DYIN by the last round
    1 round double-end peanut bag
    2 rounds mitts - straight through no rest
    floor work - 25 medball situps, 25 medball self-toss situps, 25 medball twists (each side)
    Sledgehammer w/ the versaball - got 25 before I started fadin
    2 rounds of slip bag, last 30 seconds doing bobbing & weaving and duck walks.
    more floor work - 50 crunches, 50 side crunches ea side, 50 frog kicks, 50 leg lifts, 50 bicycles

The weather was cool, but muggy as heck- reminded me of Baltimore and probably why I had so much energy.

Couldn't get to bed till late but didn't wake up that late- still got into work by 8:15 (30 min off yesterday).

Tonite I gotta hit up another language group, so unless I jet outta work early I probably won't hit the gym. Jogging tonite wouldn't be a bad idea but I gotta be up real early tomorrow, so we'll see. Tomorrow night I should have a date, so that might be a tough nite to hit the gym too. Gonna do what I can.

Got home at midnight last night and went straight to bed.
    Think i may need to move to dallas or something; spending an awful lot of time in Plano.

Friday
    had a real good day
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow - 2 w/weights
    6 rounds heavybag
    3 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds slip bag

Jogged for over an hour.

Saturday I happened to stop by this boxing event some friends were fighting at.
    Totally renewed my passion for the game.
    For about the first time ever i got a straight answer from a coach on what i'd need to do to get ready to compete- 4 times in the gym a week, 4 runs a week, and 6 weeks straight. I think it's my first straight answer because its' the first time i'm doing all my work at one gym under one coach.

Sunday I rested up because I know what the next 6 weeks are giong to be like.
    I'm only going to do the language thing once a week and I've pretty much decided to opt out of the dating world for a while.

If I've gotta keep it up till Feb, then I don't mind- take a short break at X-mas and then jump back on it after new year.

Day 1 of the six week program

3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow - 2 with weights
    7 rounds heavybag

they were closing the gym early so i kinda had to keep it short and intense.

went jogging for a spot over 30min

Thumbs up

What's the 6 week program all about?

Is it the, gym 4 days a week and 4 runs a week for 6 weeks or is it a little more detailed.

Is the goal to get fight ready or do you have a fight coming up in 6 weeks?

What ever it is, keep it up.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Don't have a fight yet, but i figure if i get ready all i need to do is find the event. Worst case scenario, i have to wait until february- but if i take a week or 2 off for Xmas and do it all over again in January, it's not a big deal.

The coach knows I go off and do my own crazy things at the gym- often working harder than the youngin's so he wasn't strict on "what" exactly i do- just that I'm there, putting in work 4 times a week & jogging 4 times a week for 6 weeks.

I'll have to get in some sparring and mitt time of course, luckily I've got some big guys to work with- good ones too.

The owner/coach has had me teach noobies coming in and has said i know what I'm doing at least, so I don't think he has a problem with my skill. He's not the only trainer though and might not be the best guy there to go to, i don't know. I'm still going to do what I can.

Last night the main heavyweight there was telling me about going on some crazy tuna diet to strip off weight. From personal experience cutting out carbs like that would probably shrink my gas tank even more than my waistline. Also, I don't think it's necessarily an improvement to jump in there with faster cruisers or light heavies - who can hit just as hard and are now hitting more often because of the speed and my diminished abilities.

Just gonna do my thing and not do anything crazy food-wise- though I may have to lie and say I am. lol

Sounds like the coach believes in your ability. That's pretty cool.

I'm with you on the crazy food diet. Things that work for some people don't necessarily work for others.

A couple summers ago I was training for a trail run. I trained all summer. I started on a new diet a month or two before the race and it totally zapped my energy levels. I got down to a nice light weight but it really affected my performance.

Stick with what works for you and only make minor incremental diet changes.

Good luck man.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

thanx

Last night I went a little crazy coz a lot of weird stuff's been going on in my life.
    I really agree with the statement that bad things tend to come in 3s.
    My grandpa's back in the hospital again so i may have to take off this week or next.

4 rounds of jump rope doing calisthenics between rounds
    5 rounds of shadow -2 with weights
    5 rounds of heavybag
    4 rounds of double end peanut bag
    4 rounds of slip bag, last 30 seconds under dipping rope
    25 medicine ball self pass situps, 25 med ball overhead situps, 25 med ball twists
    25 versaball sledgehammers, 25 lead hand wall bounces, 25 rear wall bounces
    50 crunches, 50 side crunces ea side, 50 leg lifts, 50 frog kicks

EDIT: It was raining last night so i couldn't go for a jog. i went to bed early and still kinda woke up late, got like 9 hours of sleep & still felt dead. the plan was to wake up early and jog then but since i couldn't, hopefully the weather will be more cooperative tonite.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-25-2006 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Sounds like the coach believes in your ability. That's pretty cool.

I'm with you on the crazy food diet. Things that work for some people don't necessarily work for others.

A couple summers ago I was training for a trail run. I trained all summer. I started on a new diet a month or two before the race and it totally zapped my energy levels. I got down to a nice light weight but it really affected my performance.

Stick with what works for you and only make minor incremental diet changes.

Good luck man.

Any diet that you are on to lose weight will sap your strenght to a certain degree. The fact of the matter is your body is not getting enough nurishment and goes off looking for fuel elsewhere. This is how we lose weight and why we gain back so quickly went we go off our diet. The body is dumb and says to itself "Ha! There's more food than I have been getting. Let's store some as fat!"

On a good diet you should not notice this energy loss to any degree. However on something where you need max energy(Such as a long run) you can really tell it. If you need to lose weight for an event (Such as a marathon or fight) it's best to do it early and get to a point of mantainance at least 3 months prior to the event.

I've heard countless stories of boxers losing hugh amounts of weight and then getting into the ring and folding up like a kite. Of course the results would have been the same had they not lost the weight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    I've heard countless stories of boxers losing hugh amounts of weight and then getting into the ring and folding up like a kite. Of course the results would have been the same had they not lost the weight at all.
    I was with you up until this part...
    I'm curious how you can come to the conclusion that someone who's performance is diminished by severe weight loss would perform the same if they'd never lost the weight in the first place....

Especially when you see guys like James Toney who's punch output skyrocketed as a slightly pudgy cruiser, but sometimes suffered earlier in his career when he was cutting weight to make middle or super middle.

Or seeing guys like Diego Corrales- who performed much better when their weight class was closer to their body's natural weight, but struggled as they aged and their increased natural weight made that weight class a hardship to strip down to.

Even seeing guys like Kaoklai Kaennorsing- who knocked out Mighty Mo Siliglia at heavyweight in K1, but suffered knockouts himself when he cut weight to compete in K1-max.

I personally don't think Fedor Emelianenko would be the unbeatable machine he is if he was killing himself to make 205.