Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to get serious

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    Any diet that you are on to lose weight will sap your strenght to a certain degree.
    this is true. However, power may or may not be lost.

The fact of the matter is your body is not getting enough nurishment and goes off looking for fuel elsewhere.
    kinda... the loss of strength is most likely due to earlier onset of muscular fatigue, as the body is taking in less calories and doing the same work, trying to maintain the same muscle mass. It's not particularly important that the body is looking for fuel elsewhere.

This is how we lose weight and why we gain back so quickly went we go off our diet. The body is dumb and says to itself "Ha! There's more food than I have been getting. Let's store some as fat!"
    when you lose weight - particularly if you have a BIG calorie deficit - the body says "holy sh!t, I'm starving," and goes into a hibernation mode. fat cells split, muscle is dropped, as it takes more calories to sustain, and the metabolism slows down. This alone can cause weight gain, which is why you have people who go on a diet and end up gaining weight. Once your food intake picks back up, human nature may dictate that you are eating more than you used to, in addition, your fat cells have split and your metabolism is still temporarily slower. This would lead to extra weight gain.

On a good diet you should not notice this energy loss to any degree. However on something where you need max energy(Such as a long run) you can really tell it. If you need to lose weight for an event (Such as a marathon or fight) it's best to do it early and get to a point of mantainance at least 3 months prior to the event.

I've heard countless stories of boxers losing hugh amounts of weight and then getting into the ring and folding up like a kite. Of course the results would have been the same had they not lost the weight at all.
    Why would you think the results would've been the same?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I think that if you're at a good weight for your body and then attempt to lose more weight then yes you are hurting yourself. When the body runs out of fat to burn it starts looking for muscle tissue....Not a good situation. However, if you are overweight and losing to a natural weight then yes if you compete overweight then you are just as worse off against top competition. Of course if you are fighting lesser talent then you can make up for the additional weight.

I love to watch this fighter they call Butterbean! Butterbean goes around 330 and is as strong as an ox. When he fights he seems to always knock out whoever they put up against him. However one time he fought Larry Holmes....who was 54 at the time! Holmes beat him in a decision.

That says something about the quality of opponent the man was fighting against if he could not even defeat a 54 year old man.....no matter how good he was 20 years ago!

The sad thing is that Butterbean could maybe have actually been a good fighter. We'll never know.

There's been a lot of speculation that many of Butterbean's fights were in fact fixed. He still fights in Japan though.

The thing is, Holmes (by the time he was a champion) and other heavyweights like Mercer or even Ron Lyle from back in the 70s, were not really svelte guys. They're way closer to my bodytype than someone like butterbean.

Last night I tried to go for the short & sweet death...

3 rounds of jump rope
    3 rounds of shadow 2 rounds with handweights, all rounds with weight vest
    3 rounds of heavybag w/weight vest
    2 rounds of double end bag w/weight vest
    2 rounds of slip bag w/ weight vest

at the end of that i was pretty much dead.
    had a huge food craving and before i knew it i was scarfing down chicken wings (no ranch dressing).

Went jogging after that for a bit over 30 minutes. I was sore, achey, and still a little full from eating (tho I didn't stuff myself) so it ended up being one of my longest, slowest jogs to date- boy did it hurt.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Friday

quick, intense workout
    3 rounds double end bag
    6 rounds heavybag

tried to kill it as best i could coz they were closing the gym.

saturday morning
    went jogging, still pretty sore and achey.

this weekend i ate a bit much but i was really active both days, going to a japanese festival at a park.
    Sunday night i went to a concert.

Really fun weekend, next weekend I gotta go be with my grandpa.

Jogging more than 3 times a week is giong to be tough.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Monday night was a bit of a quick boxing day.
    I dunno if it's the weather or what but my legs have been buggin me- my right foot and my left knee the biggest culprits.

3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow - 1st round 5lbers w/ 25lbers last 30 seconds, 2nd round 3lbers w/ 5lbers last 30 seconds, 3rd round no weights 25lbers last 30
    5 rounds heavybag
    3 rounds double end peanut bag.

Afterwards I was supposed to go jogging but got unbelievably tired around 9, so I went to sleep.

I woke up before 6 and took a 30 minute jog Tuesday morning.
    Again, my legs are achey which makes things difficult.
    Probably need to do more upper body focus tonite if possible.

Tuesday evening hit up the gym again.
    My legs are still bugging me- my right foot almost feels broken.

jump rope - lazy 3 rounds, was having a hard time with my foot.
    flag boxing - 3 rounds... coach made up this game of no contact sparring where you try to snag a couple of strips of paper duct taped to the other guy's head gear. it was fun, really worked on my defense.
    double end bag - 3 rounds went much better after the sparring drill
    heavybag - 6 rounds
    knee lift chair - 20 knees to chest, 20 straight legged, 20 side to side
    pullups - 3 negatives
    dips - 10
    medicine ball situps - 20
    medicine ball twists - 20

Wednesday

Was feeling pretty sore, achey, and run down so I decided to work more towards getting up a good sweat & sustaining it than killing myself.
    I don't know if it's the running or what lately, but my legs have been feeling real banged up.

8 rounds of shadow boxing
    5 rounds of heavybag - hurt my wrist on the last round and almost gave up there
    5 rounds of double end bag

around 9pm I went for a jog. felt more like a hobble, but once i got into it, it wasn't so bad. Went home and went to bed around 10.

Thursday

This morning I woke up at 6:30 so I went for a jog again around 6:45. Again, my legs are feeling real stiff & my whole body's sore, but it's still kinda relaxing once i get into it.

Tonite I want to hit the gym before driving to houston.

Diet

had a bad day on tuesday with the office pizza party (3 slices & some brownies) so I decided to re-balance. On wednesday all I ate was a small bowl of oatmeal and a protein shake. The goal is to do the same thing today, but maybe a bit more so I can still workout, get ready, and make the 4 hour drive to Houston.

you're making good progress, man.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

thanks
    I have a bet for $10 going with a couple guys that my ex is actually at my parents' place right now; so I wanna look my best en route to twenty bux. LOL

Think i figured out my leg pain: i ran out of glucosamine a week or 2 ago.
    time to get some more joint juice.

Thursday night i had too much to do before leaving for Houston so i skipped the gym and STILL got out of town way late.

I lost my 2 $10 bets but I still think she's coming back- i don't mind being called crazy and stupid, i'm used to it. I just hope it's before the Manny Pacquiao fight on November 18th, so maybe we can go.

Saw my grandpa this weekend, might be the last time ever.
    He's a lot like the Terry Shiavo case, but in a lot of pain.
    I was off my meds for about 4 days come Sunday night.
    I didn't want to be all drugged up when I saw my grandpa.
    I fell off my wagon for a bit sunday night- one cig for each of the 3 major crisis my family's had this year.

Sunday night there was a huge thunder & lightning storm that ran the whole night. Barely slept as a result. Took off from work early monday and tried to catch up on my sleep again. Really went out of my way to fill up my iPod. Spent too much money as usual. haha

Feeling a lot more rested today so I'll make it back to the gym tonite.
    If weather permits, I'll jog too.

Went to the gym after work.

jump rope: 3 rounds - kinda had a rough time with the rope
    shadow: 3 rounds - 2 w/handweights
    heavybag: 6 rounds
    double end bag: 3 rounds

Weather was alright but didn't feel up to the jog- got busy with other stuff till almost 10 and was a bit tired from the workout and everything going on.

Tried to get to sleep at 10~10:30 but it wasn't happening, don't think I dozed off till 12 or 1.

This morning I got into work by 8, can leave around 5.

I want to go to this japanese language meetup in dallas tonite at around 7, i doubt i can be on time but i may end up trying to go around 8.

first night back sparrin for real last night

3 rounds of jump rope
    2 rounds of shadow
    4 rounds of sparring

it was a pretty good spar, i think i did alright for my first time back, the guy i was sparring has a lot more experience than me and is real good at countering whenever i try to sit down on a shot. he gave me a bloody nose towards the end, but when that happened, I could tell he was smelling blood, so i took it right back at him.

Was feeling real achey and sore Thursday so I took the evening off.
    I got to sleep by around 9pm and woke up at 5 something this morning.
    I went for a 1 hour jog this morning.
    It was really stiff going at the beginning but by the second half i was starting to fly.
    Feel pretty good so far this morning.
    Planning on making it back to the gym tonite.

Friday evening went back to the gym

jump rope 3 rounds
    shadowboxing - all 3 rounds w/handweights, last 2 rounds w/weight vest
    heavybag - 3 rounds w/ weight vest
    double end bag - 3 rounds w/weight vest
    floor work - medball situps on the swissball, medball twists on swissball, swissball hand to leg passes, 20 pushups w/weightvest, 2 sets of 20 versaball sledgehammer slams

after that i was pretty much dead.
    that weight vest takes like everything out of me.
    I was dyin half way through the first round on the heavybag.

today i got an active day planned
    more on that later

Saturday morning back at the gym
    it was kinda cold and the gym has no heat
    tried jumping rope a bit but my knees weren't letting it happen

shadowboxed for 6 rounds w/gloves
    heavybag for 6 rounds

then they closed up the gym and i had to go.

Saturday evening I went grocery shopping at sam's & an asian store.
    I didn't get to jog that night, but i broke a sweat pretty well unloading the car with around $300 worth of groceries, most of it heavy drinks. They sell my bolthouse farms drinks at Sam's now so i'm real happy about that.

Sunday I didn't really get out of bed. I went to bed early saturday night, woke up late sunday morning and slept most of the afternoon.
    Got to bed sunday night around 11 too.
    I think I really needed the sleep; probably ate too much though.