Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Internal training of strength

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    ground reaction force: to me, this is what "kick starts" the CTS effect - it seems subjectively that after I exhale all the way, the reflexive inhale that follows creates an impulse through the body that pushes against the ground, sending GRF up the kinetic chain, and "suspending" the spine momentarilly within the soft tissue structures (this, I believe is what the whole idea of suspended from the top means - your not suspended from the string, you are bouyed by GRF...)
    I know what you are saying. However, how do you account for the fact that in Taij at least the head should always feel "as if suspended from a string." I looked up ground reaction force and it seems to be the force that is "pushing up" as a response to the body "pushing down" in the force of gravity. (BTW, I'm horrible at mechanics, better with electricity and best in biology.)

So what I'm thinking is that you have the force of gravity pushing down and the counter force pushing up so the net force should be zero. Your body should not be doing anything to impede that "pushing up" of the GRF, including holding on with clenched muscles so that the force can go to the top of the head. You're not actively pulling anything apart or pushing anything down...you just find that spot where the pull/push up happens naturally.

I would tend to agree in the sense that you can do resistance training several ways, with the most functional would be closed chain eccenttic type stuff, which is typified by what the weightbearing leg does when you are descending a flight of steps - the quads and glutes contract eccentrically to lower you with gravity with control, and it's closed chain because the distal extremity is fixed; as a side note, for years in rehab they';d have people do the opposite: open chain concentric knee extensions, with a crap load of weight and then they'd try to ambulate the pt. who couldn't stand up...
    I'm having a hard part picturing what you mean by "closed chain" could you provide an example.

the way we do yi jin jing, you're sweating like a dog at the end - some of the movements are very vigorous; also, we do a fast version of the form, so that can get you moving as well - of course, it's not like running on atreatmill - the hard part istaying "internal" when you move fast - as i like to say, you keep the net level of tension in the body constant: so if you increase tension in one area, you balance it out elsewhere...its a littl ehard to explain...also, internal practice doesn't really advocate generating an aerobic response - it's seen as too out of balance, too stressful on the body - not saying I agree completely, it's more a philosophical thing in a way, in terms of the relationship of fitness to health - it's a different paradigm
    Yes, I know what you are saying about the paradigm. The idea in Taiji is that you should be able to dispatch your opponent without even breaking a sweat, so what good is cardio? However, i think mostly I look at it as a way to keep my weight down. Sure, if you could do Taiji all day you'd stay trim but all of us don't have that luxury.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 10-07-2006 at 11:47 AM.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    I know what you are saying. However, how do you account for the fact that in Taij at least the head should always feel "as if suspended from a string." I looked up ground reaction force and it seems to be the force that is "pushing up" as a response to the body "pushing down" in the force of gravity. (BTW, I'm horrible at mechanics, better with electricity and best in biology.)

So what I'm thinking is that you have the force of gravity pushing down and the counter force pushing up so the net force should be zero. Your body should not be doing anything to impede that "pushing up" of the GRF, including holding on with clenched muscles so that the force can go to the top of the head. You're not actively pulling anything apart or pushing anything down...you just find that spot where the pull/push up happens naturally.

pretty much; the first of our tai chi ten principles translates as "empty the collar, suspend the top" - the idea is that when you release the tension in the sub-occipital (collar) region, you allow those muscles to lengthen, and this allows a greater degree of capital flexion (occipital condyles gliding posteriorly on superior facets of C1 vertebra - basically what happens when you do a slight chin tuck), this is the top most piece of the spine, and by aligning it properly, it yields a sort of floating sensation: i see the GRF as a plum of water, and the skull is a ball being "suspended" on the top of that plum - nothing in there about a string doing the suspending, BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    I'm having a hard part picturing what you mean by "closed chain" could you provide an example.
    if you were sitting in a chair with your feet on the floor and knees fleed to 90? open chain would be when you contract your quads to straighten your knee, your foot comes off the ground; in closed chain, you would keep the feet on the floor and extend your knee by standing up; again, open chain means the distal extremity is moving (a palm strike = open chain triceps); closed chain means the distal extremity stays fixed (a push up = closed chain triceps)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    pretty much; the first of our tai chi ten principles translates as "empty the collar, suspend the top" - the idea is that when you release the tension in the sub-occipital (collar) region, you allow those muscles to lengthen, and this allows a greater degree of capital flexion (occipital condyles gliding posteriorly on superior facets of C1 vertebra - basically what happens when you do a slight chin tuck), this is the top most piece of the spine, and by aligning it properly, it yields a sort of floating sensation: i see the GRF as a plum of water, and the skull is a ball being "suspended" on the top of that plum - nothing in there about a string doing the suspending, BTW...
    Yes, yes, yes......!!!

if you were sitting in a chair with your feet on the floor and knees fleed to 90? open chain would be when you contract your quads to straighten your knee, your foot comes off the ground; in closed chain, you would keep the feet on the floor and extend your knee by standing up; again, open chain means the distal extremity is moving (a palm strike = open chain triceps); closed chain means the distal extremity stays fixed (a push up = closed chain triceps)
    Ok gotcha.

I must say I think you're only person on this forum I've talked to that "gets it."

Now that was fun reading.

I won't wade in. People familiar with Sonnon's site and Dragon Door have already read what I have to say on this.

watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6F6T...elated&search=

that's a 20lb iron ball, picture doing it using the footwork and movement patterns from your art.

FS
    Last edited by Fox Style; 10-12-2006 at 09:41 AM.