Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people are training with an injury right now?

How many people are training with an injury right now?

Just curious because right now,

I'm recovering from a sprained ankle. It happened 3 weeks ago when I got swept and didn't have my weight distributed properly.

Tendonitis in my shoulder. I'm also getting over this right now.

My most recent injury is a popped rib of some sort. Last week at my BJJ class a very large guy kinda got me in side control as I was laying on my side. My rib cage sorta got compressed a bit and I felt a little "pop" in my upper left chest. I don't think it's cracked or broken because it's tolerable and I can still function normally although with some pain.

So who else has an injury right now?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

I have had a bad throat for over a month and I am fighting in less than a month. I am going to the doctors next week. I was sick a while ago, I'm training hard everyday (which may not help my body recover), I'm eating right, and this just doesn't go away. No fever, no anything else just a throat that hurts like hell. I also have injured elbows, hands, neck, but those will never completely go away. I hope I didn't steal you thread to gripe. Sorry.
    Bless you

i am almost always injured.
    i am recovering from a dislocated knee. Its mostly healed but still hurts when i go in and out of airconditioning or when i squat down .
    most recently (his week) i have developed an incredible pain in my left shoulder when i try to lift my arm or raise it above shoulder level. my doctor said i injured my rotator cuff. so i am taking it easy on my left shoulder and right leg.

Yep! Bad ankle (from kicking the bag too hard showing off which will teach me!), dodgy achilles tendon (usually brought on from running) , back problem, and bad neck (but from skiing not kung fu).
    I think you will always carry a few minor injuries if you do martial arts/other random sports!
    We battle on though....

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I have had a bad throat for over a month and I am fighting in less than a month. I am going to the doctors next week. I was sick a while ago, I'm training hard everyday (which may not help my body recover), I'm eating right, and this just doesn't go away. No fever, no anything else just a throat that hurts like hell. I also have injured elbows, hands, neck, but those will never completely go away. I hope I didn't steal you thread to gripe. Sorry.
    Gripe away. It's almost like, if I'm not injured, then I'm just inbetween injuries these days. Every martial artist I talk to just about has got some kind of injury or another.

It comes with the teritory I think. If you want to train to fight, you're bound to get hit/injured sometime. Every injury could be looked at as a little lesson in itself as what not to do or what to do differently next.

I think the nagging little injuries that you and I are talking about are pretty much given in the life of a martial artist.

Who else? Who's injured? What your injury?

Oh, and try some listerine. That stuff kills everything, including the first couple layers of skiln in your mouth.

The thing I've found with martial artists is they're very bad at letting injuries heal. One of my classmates wanted to know why his sprained ankle still hadn't healed 3 months on, and I had to tell him it was because he'd trained as normal on it for 3 days a week since he did it
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Gripe away. It's almost like, if I'm not injured, then I'm just inbetween injuries these days. Every martial artist I talk to just about has got some kind of injury or another.

It comes with the teritory I think. If you want to train to fight, you're bound to get hit/injured sometime. Every injury could be looked at as a little lesson in itself as what not to do or what to do differently next.

I think the nagging little injuries that you and I are talking about are pretty much given in the life of a martial artist.

Who else? Who's injured? What your injury?

Oh, and try some listerine. That stuff kills everything, including the first couple layers of skiln in your mouth.
    Good point Chief Fox! (See I'm doing my job!)
    I haven't had a black eye from training...yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Just curious because right now,

I'm recovering from a sprained ankle. It happened 3 weeks ago when I got swept and didn't have my weight distributed properly.

Tendonitis in my shoulder. I'm also getting over this right now.

My most recent injury is a popped rib of some sort. Last week at my BJJ class a very large guy kinda got me in side control as I was laying on my side. My rib cage sorta got compressed a bit and I felt a little "pop" in my upper left chest. I don't think it's cracked or broken because it's tolerable and I can still function normally although with some pain.

So who else has an injury right now?
    Ok maybe I'm new to martial arts or just naïve but commonsense tells me to follow your doctors recommendations.

Aside form the usual fat lip or bruised face or chest...

A couple years ago I had a back injury doing a throw. It healed but with all back injuries...A couple months ago I reinjured it and now my back is tight (especially in the mornings), causing my shoulder on that side to tighten and tire/injure easily. Ive been to the doctor and fortunately its just a muscle issue. I have a physical therapy plan and I try to strecth lots and do some qigong...But once working, sleeping, eating, and training are done, its hard to find time in the day to keep up with it.

An old and serious sprain at the base of my thumb seems to haunt me every once in a while.

Other than that, Im happy and healthy as a clam!

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I get a bruised ego pretty often!
    Right now, my shoulder popped holding the pads for my students,which impinged a nerve running the length of my arm-thought I'd torn the tendon. Doctor popped it back and I am on the road to recovery.-if I lay off of it-which as we all know, is nearly impossible. That's the thing that separates us from "mere humans". They listen to their doctors when they say lay off of it. They will completely vege out. We, on the other hand, will work around it, and eventually do something stupid and reinjure it.
    My other injuries-lower back, meniscus,neck,sciatica,...um...list goes on, but what the heck, this is what we do.
    I really believe that I have neglected my stretching, and this is the primary cause of many of my injuries, and it slows down the healing process. I also don't get enough sleep. nor do I drink enough water. I think those three are key to longevity. That, and beer.

Lol / ouch Tentigers! I think you know when you need complete rest though.I took two months out for my back because I just couldn't cope with the pain when training. It wasn't a happy two months though , there was much sulking and crying when I was left at home rather than training.
    Other minor injuries seem ok when training though, otherwise, we'd probably all be off training all the time, and that would be BAD!
    I think sleep/water etc are so important, I can really tell when I haven't had enough of either, or when I have been eating rubbish.I think training when really tired can be bad as I have found that's when I don't concentrate properly and end up getting either injured or hit.

IMO it is all a matter of limits. If our hurt your ankle you can limit you trainings to the top part or movements in which the body weight is not fully on that ankle...and same for any part of the body.
    I think it makes no sense carrying on for weeks an injury that normally would heal in few days. Moreover if you have to use a hurting part of your body in the training, your movements will never be 100% correct as you would usually do because your mind tends to help the hurting part by using it less. Thus you would be training in a wrong way.

Just my 2 cents.

broken pinky...been 2 months nearly recovered. no doctor due to lack of insurance at the time. bit crooked but ill get it all back.

pulled hamstring, and recovering from some sort of pulled tendon in my right hip.

forever messed up knee from an accident many years ago...eventually may need surgery but im holding out on that cause its more just annoying rather than inhibiting.

dont know if you can count it but i just got my second session done on my right arms sleeve
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIALSTUDANT View Post
    Ok maybe I'm new to martial arts or just naïve but commonsense tells me to follow your doctors recommendations.
    What do I need a doctor for, I've got the internet.

[QUOTE=Chief Fox;70753

Oh, and try some listerine. That stuff kills everything, including the first couple layers of skiln in your mouth. [/QUOTE]

I do everyday, not for jerms, just to not be offensive

I'm always injured, but usually the same injuries over and over again.
    Bless you