Thread: OT:Do you believe in ghosts......

OT:Do you believe in ghosts......

I didn't quite know where to post this,so mods move it wherever you would like to!
    Seeing that I'm stuck at work late and I'm curator of a house built in the 1500's ,in the middle of a park, round the corner from a bronze age burial site, just wondering if any of you either had any experiences or any good ghost stories?
    I do scare quite easily!
    Going back "on topic" any good "ghost" films you have seen? One of my favourite films is "A Chinese Ghost Story".

i certainly believe in the spirit or the soul. although the scientific and atheist community would beg to differ. It is a very elaborate question and i hope some would chime in on their answers.

as for me i think that there are many mysteries out there and i have certainly been privey to a couple.

here is something that took place when i was 12 years old. i was living in a very small rural town in texas called "Zorn". its about ohh 12 miles or so east of New Braunfels texas. anyway my parents moved in to an old farm house on some property that was at one time an old dairy farm. As we were moving in and i was taking my boxes back to my room the ver second i got in the room i got a weird feeling up and down my spine, the room went very cold and it felt as though something passed right through me, almost like a very soft electrical charge. well i dropped my box and ran out of the room and outside, told my parents what had happened and of course i got the "yeah yeah you were just imagining things,etc etc".
    well about a week later i was roaming around out in the property around the house and i came across an old fence surrounding a large oak tree and i noticed something in the brush and briar surrounding the tree, so i pushed it back and found an old headstone marker of a grave of a 14 year old girl dated late 1700's.

i was a tad freaked but you know i always felt safe in that house.

ive had other experiences but that one was the most benevolant.

i think that in the years that i have been doing internal martial arts and qigong and getting intouch with my own energies i have become sensitive to other energies that are floating around, or energy as a whole. but it is not some grandious hollywood experience, they are very subtle things.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Woooaah! I just went away to get some food (hotpot,yum!) and when I came back my computer had switched off and restarted!!!!!!!!!

phenomenon should be regarded as such and nothiung more.

if the world was overrun with the influence of ghosts, do you think it would be anything like the world we live in?

I believe in mind and I believe people can make their mind see a lot of things and sense things that are otherwise nothing but illusion they themselves create.

I also tend towards leaning into this believe in regards to a soul.

people grow and change and character in them develops, but soul? Not sure about that. I can still be happy even if my view is all to grounded. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You live in a very probable and mathematically plausible 10-dimesion world. Perhaps at times these dimensions cross their wires, so to speak.

I saw a "ghost" or very clear image of a man in my house at age 4; he appeared to be made formed of white "TV static", but was walking in the hallway. He turned in slow motion and walked through the wall and disappeared. I should mention at the time I had no concept of death nor any idea of what a ghost was.

Over the years I've had numerous paranormal experiences. When I lived in Taiwan, while staying in a dormitory at a closed ski lodge (Hohuanshan) along the cross-island highway, while trying to sleep, my girlfriend and I got "pressed" by some entity that held us down and was "screaming" inside our heads. We both bolted upright simultaneously, and it couldn't have been coincidence, because she had her back to me when we forced ourselves to sit upright. My head was ringing from the voice's scream that only we heard; my sweat was ice cold. She asked me if I heard someone and if I felt "the pressure in the air."

Another time I experienced poltergeist activity when, in a closed room, a small stack of heavy magazines on the table went "smack" and flew a few feet away and off of the table in a horizontal motion, as if an angry person had knocked them off. This happened right before my eyes. No one can convince me that that was an illusion of my mind. On a sidenote, it happened during the final hours of "ghost month" in the Far East. I acknowledged the spirit or whatever, then went to sleep...although I did keep the light on.

Since then there've been lots of experiences, and I do not find ghosts scary. Living people are a bigger danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    I didn't quite know where to post this,so mods move it wherever you would like to!
    Seeing that I'm stuck at work late and I'm curator of a house built in the 1500's ,in the middle of a park, round the corner from a bronze age burial site, just wondering if any of you either had any experiences or any good ghost stories?
    I do scare quite easily!
    Going back "on topic" any good "ghost" films you have seen? One of my favourite films is "A Chinese Ghost Story".
    My mom was the curator for a civil war house turned museum, and whenever I was there alone, I always got spooked out in certain rooms. I found out later one of them was where a girl (then) my age lived. There was only one thing that ever really scared me, and that was the basement, in the old slaves' quarters. The logical part of me wants to say I was just a kid and afraid of the unknown, but I distinctly remember being very comfortable in the family rooms and the kitchen section of the basement. The old bedrooms just felt...strong. Not neccesarily bad, just very uncomfortable. I can't help but think there was something there to feel, I just couldn't understand what it was.

That, and I'd rather believe and be wrong, then not and be wrong.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

Thats interesting 5 Animals and kind of how I feel.

There is definitely some kind of "energy" and resonance in the house. So much has happened there during the course of the lives of the 5 families that there is an odd feeling. There are 2 places I feel quite "odd"- the room where the priest hole is (you cant see it but I know its there) , and the old servants quarters. Both rooms feel quite hostile, but the rest of the house is generally quite friendly really.

I don't particularly "believe" myself and its only natural to feel more uncomfortable where you know something bad may have happened.
    And Oliver Cromwell supposedly stayed at the house too!

To be boring, it depends on what you define as a ghost, and since nobody can really agree what they are, you end up with the term 'ghost' being a catchall and a metaphor for a variety of different things.

One trend nowadays seems to be catching 'orbs' on video, which are classified as ghosts, aliens, or the floating luminous head of George W Bush abroad in the night to commit evil deeds depending on who you talk to. Irrespective of such, I think things of that nature are interesting insomuch as they show our use of 'ghosts' as a coping mechanism, the appeal to an omnipotent force that renders our surrounding 'reality' relatively inconsequential, making a very seductive ideology for those whom are devoid of more concrete goals.

As for my own speculations, if ghosts did exist, id say they are fairly limited in their prescence and/or influence, otherwise it would be all too easy to 'prove' them. I aslo think they would have to be a part of nature, somehow tie into the existing fabric of living beings, even to the point of being alive, if in a slightly different sense than how we think of it. In the end I think its fair to say that if theyre out there, we know a total of jack **** about them. If i ever meet one ill have a fair list of questions, but I cant say im sold enough on the subject yet to invest in ghost proof underpants.