Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: The pope's comments

OT: The pope's comments

What do you cats think of the pope's comments about Islam? I don't think they are far from the true.

He is right on. I am actually starting to like this guy now, he's not afraid to say it like it is.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Here's the story:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5351988.stm (everyone apart from Royal Dragon can read it cause he is ignoring everyone!)

He was quoting a source from the 14th century in an academic lecture, so it may be that his words were taken out of context! This pope certainly doesnt mince his words!

Big Grin------>

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I love the fact that they're protesting against accusations of violence by rioting
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

The Pope and the catholic church are ones to talk or to even cast stones at anyone. The CC has been the author of so much death and destruction of other cultures that it amazes me that the CC would want to say anything. They ignored the atrocities on the jews in ww2 and have always maintained this pretentious mightier than thou attitude towards everything. take a look at the crusades in history.

the CC should not be casting any stones. they should just STFU and go about their rituals and pomp and circumstance. TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

They have moved past the "Dark ages", islam seeks to preserve it.

it's like an older man who seeks the path of peace, because he made mistakes with violence in his past, and now seeks to help the youger generation avoid his short commings.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    I love the fact that they're protesting against accusations of violence by rioting

I like this Pope, but I also liked JPII even when I didn't agree with him.

They have moved past the "Dark ages", islam seeks to preserve it.
    I disagree as I don't think Islam itself is trying to preserve any era in history. You do have a some large branches of Islam that do but I think it's more about power than about being pious.
    Last edited by rogue; 09-16-2006 at 04:59 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The Pope was quoting something from a book, not his own words. We can throw stone at the Muslims but lets not forget the Holy War against the Muslims, The Catholics killed thousands of men women and children.

Vlad the impaler got his rep by impaleing men women and children as decorations in front of his castle.

In fact there was an incident during the holy wars when they invaded a city and not only killed everyone but they also ate their victums.

The Catholics should shut their trap when it comes to the Muslims, since they killed more Muslims over the years in the name of Christianity than the Muslims ever will.

Just food for thought.

The entire speech was rather dense, and was intended for a rather academic audience. The pope was the Vatican's chief theologian for a decade-plus, so this man thinks and has thought some rather heavy things about religion.

In outline form:

1. Religion and reason are inextricably linked in the west, in contrast to more "transcendent/mystical" approaches, thanks to the Greeks and Romans. We assume that God is rational, and that he acts within rational boundaries - he can make the IMPOSSIBLE happen, but he's got an articulable reason for that.

2. By corollary, we use reason to try and understand God, and thus truth. Also by corollary, faith and reason are not mutually exclusive

3. Continuing on, religion can therefore persuade through reason, since you can use reason to get to truth and truth is convincing. Religion should not coerce. Violence in the name of religion is therefore an abomination in the eyes of God.

The purpose of picking the Byzantine emporer's comments was to contrast that Greek accultured logician's statements with Ibn Husn (ibn Hussein), whom he also quoted in the speech, who cited a transcendental God as opposed to a God of reason. It was an exceptionally minor part of the speech, designed to highlight the western tradition of reason and faith reinforcing each other and co-existing side by side.

The phraseology and choice of quotations was, however, appalling in light of current affairs. Pope John Paul II was an erudite politician. This speech reminded me of an academic who has trouble/insensitivity trying to get his point across...He's not the Chief Theologian anymore...He's the frickin POPE. His words matter now.

For the record bringing up the Catholic church's sordid past seems particularly pointless. Are we going to excoriate the Pontiff of 2006 for something that happened generations ago? If that is to be the case, then we will all be paralyzed in speech and action. Moral perfection - and certainly not when you aren't personally responsible! - is not a pre-requisite for criticism and action. The larger ramifications of such an approach are these: if that is the standard we are going to judge against, we might as just well all nip off and shoot ourselves, since we are dooming mankind to inaction and stagnation.

Not my cup of tea, thanks.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 09-16-2006 at 05:42 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

very well written MP, I agree the Pope was just reading something that someone else wrote about Mohamed and then tied it in with how bad it is to have wars over religion.

That was a mistake since that text was written thousands of years ago that's why I bought up the Holy wars.

Bad move on the Popes part, we have to take in consideration that he is a theologin not a politician. That said it was politicaly incorrect since what happened over 2 thousand years ago has nothing to do with modern day.

The statement was OT since the Catholics in the past have comitted great atrosidies in the past.

If you've noticed Bush's rhetoric has changed too. Like before he used extremists or terrorists and then recently he said 'islamic fascist'.

That might have been in a more academic speech, but given the timing it would be hard to look at that in a positive context for Islam.

It really seems like they're priming for a showdown here. Islam vs. everybody else.

But yeah, the Catholic church wasn't ever innocent of violence. I mean, look at the Inquisition, the mistreatment of other cultures ('pagans'), all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post

That was a mistake since that text was written thousands of years ago that's why I bought up the Holy wars.

Bad move on the Popes part, we have to take in consideration that he is a theologin not a politician. That said it was politicaly incorrect since what happened over 2 thousand years ago has nothing to do with modern day.
    ??? Islam isn't even 2000 years old.

How do we have free discussion when there is a group of people who take offense easily?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    How do we have free discussion when there is a group of people who take offense easily?
    Well, we don't, that's the thing. Islam seeks to impose their law upon the state, which is totally counter to freedom of religion or speech.

Of course, Catholics used to do the same thing. The very name 'catholic' means 'universal', or in other words, everybody following the same religion.