View Poll Results: Should Shaolin Do have its' own Forum?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 38.24%
  • No

14 41.18%
  • I think Ingchao is stirring poop w/this poll

15 44.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Shaolin-Do have its' own Forum?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Yes it would!!
    remember when i said you were only slightly flaky?

I lied

Talking Lmao!!

Quote Originally Posted by sunfist View Post
    remember when I said you were only slightly flaky?

I lied
    Hey thanx....come from you I will take this as a compliment!!! if I was going to be a little flakey , or even a lot,I would be a corn flake......... or a frosted flake ...the're great!!!

Share one sunfist?

Ohh, that's bad.

Please contain any SD debates to the SD thread on the Shaolin forum. Also note that I'm banning people there indiscriminatly, so you take your chances posting there.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Question wht the hell

is shaolin do is it some weird american martial arts fad along the lines of napoleon dynamite lol luved that movie
    BOW TO UR SENSEI!!!
    grab my arm no my other arm
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

what is a traditional shaolin system then??

what part of what you have seen indicates that the forms are not chineses in origin??

..if bung bo from one system is presented and the same exact form is presented by Shaolin Do and they have the same moves, and similar applications ..how is it that Shaolin Do is not just as authentic as any other system that does this form???

and another thing ...if you teach real kung fu how is it that you are also teaching a variety of other martialarts as well...and yet still calling it kung fu??
    Ok here we go, The Bung Bo form is a 7 star preing mantis form not a shaolin do form. That's the problem with you guys are claiming if you have the Bung Bo form in your curiculum cool but it's still 7* not Shaolin Do. That's like me teaching a preing mantis form in my Choy lee fut school anmd calling it Choy lee Fut.

Angry Grrrrr

would someone pleaser tell me what shaolin do is ?

Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    Ok here we go, The Bung Bo form is a 7 star preing mantis form not a shaolin do form. That's the problem with you guys are claiming if you have the Bung Bo form in your curiculum cool but it's still 7* not Shaolin Do. That's like me teaching a preing mantis form in my Choy lee fut school anmd calling it Choy lee Fut.
    Shaolin Do teaches all the main branches of mantis....plum...7* ...yin yang...and so on..

Angry blah

now im ****ed i'm gonna start knockin heads
    1 tell me what shaolin do
    2 if something ive never heard of gets its own forum
    i think wushu should at least
    and yes gene i know the reasons why there isnt one

inform me people what the hell is shaolin do ?

Do your own research, golden arhat

If you want to know Shaolin Do, just go to the thread. No need to start threatening us. Don't be silly. And please take any discussion of Shaolin Do's validity or whatever over there. I'm tempted to lock this thread if there's nothing more concerning the topic.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin Do teaches all the main branches of mantis....plum...7* ...yin yang...and so on..
    Could you expand on that, Plum what ??? Ying Yang ??? and so on.

Teaches all the branches, You mean like Seven Star, Southern Mantis, Wa lum or tai chi mantis.

Those are all huge systems, so you mean Shaolin Do has all that in it and more ??

So I guess youre doing preying mantis not Shaolin Do since all these systems have their own lineage and I can say for a afct that none of these styles are in any way connected to SD.

In fact SD claims to do authentic Shaolin and Preying mantis is authentic Kung Fu but not one of the systems coming out Shaolin it was created afterwards, just like monkey style.

I think that SD may borrow some of these systems just like Kempo schools do. This happens all the time and there is nothing wrong with doing this as long as it's taught by a Qualified Sifu.

But to say to that these forms are SD is misleading and inaccurate. I know some people will say hey we have our own Bong Bo form in SD, that's just absurd. These are forms from specific styles.

you can not figure this out???

Could you expand on that, Plum what ??? Ying Yang ??? and so on.

Teaches all the branches, You mean like Seven Star, Southern Mantis, Wa lum or tai chi mantis.

Those are all huge systems, so you mean Shaolin Do has all that in it and more ??

So I guess youre doing preying mantis not Shaolin Do since all these systems have their own lineage and I can say for a afct that none of these styles are in any way connected to SD.

In fact SD claims to do authentic Shaolin and Preying mantis is authentic Kung Fu but not one of the systems coming out Shaolin it was created afterwards, just like monkey style.

I think that SD may borrow some of these systems just like Kempo schools do. This happens all the time and there is nothing wrong with doing this as long as it's taught by a Qualified Sifu.

But to say to that these forms are SD is misleading and inaccurate. I know some people will say hey we have our own Bong Bo form in SD, that's just absurd. These are forms from specific styles.
    Shaolin Do is a system preying mantis is a sub system/ style...

there is obviously some connection between them ..how else could they be taught in one school if there was not??

there are mantis systems that have connections and some that do not....big deal...

they are based on the same philosophical , psychological as well as physical principles..

Shaolin originally was not a martial arts school ..it was a Buddhist school which taught Shuai Jiao as it's first martial art

you know I was taught many mantis forms in SD....one being white ape steals the peach ..it was taught very indepth with application and pressure point strikes

..I have seen this from done by many non Shaolin Do students and it looks alot more flashier but lacks the power needed to make it effective in a self defense/ fight situation...

all these other schools forms look prettier than ours..but far less applicable for real world usage... this is the most important part..

Shaolin Do is a system preying mantis is a sub system/ style...

there is obviously some connection between them ..how else could they be taught in one school if there was not??

there are mantis systems that have connections and some that do not....big deal...

they are based on the same philosophical , psychological as well as physical principles..

Shaolin originally was not a martial arts school ..it was a Buddhist school which taught Shuai Jiao as it's first martial art

you know I was taught many mantis forms in SD....one being white ape steals the peach ..it was taught very indepth with application and pressure point strikes

..I have seen this from done by many non Shaolin Do students and it looks alot more flashier but lacks the power needed to make it effective in a self defense/ fight situation...

all these other schools forms look prettier than ours..but far less applicable for real world usage... this is the most important part..

We are talking about traditional styles that come out of the Shaolin Monestary that SD claims to be a part of.

When you are refering to traditional styles of preying mantis and you make statement that SD does all the Styles, youre making a pretty bold statement.

In order to do this you have to be able to trace a distinct lineage to each style you mentioned. Lineage charts (that can be proven) create checks and balances so that the prospective student is able to discern wether or not a style is real or a replica.

Just like an antique dealer know what to look for when looking for real art, an expert in kung fu can tell whether it's a real traditional system or something that was slapped together by a jack of all trades and master of none.

In the earlier post you mentioned that the Bong Bo set is part of SD. That's a pefect example because when it comes to that form it's distinctly a 7 star form. My sifu Chan Tai San was married to Jew lun's (GC of 7 * PM) and after asking
    some of his student's guess what no one ever herd of SD or master Sin

You see the only whay for someone to know that style is to have trained with someone who can trace their lineage back to them.

I asked Sifu Poo Yee a very well respected GM of southern praying mantis, but nope never herd of you guys.

I asked sifu Chan Poi ( the GM of Wha Lum) and oh yea my sifu's cousin about SD and he is some what of a colorful character like my sifu and well I realy can't repeat what he said.

Should I go on???

It's ok to defend ones style and preference but some of the things that I hear you guys say is just plain stupid, historicaly incorrect, and missleading

greencloud.net

the way you understand things to be...

We are talking about traditional styles that come out of the Shaolin Monestary that SD claims to be a part of.

When you are refering to traditional styles of preying mantis and you make statement that SD does all the Styles, youre making a pretty bold statement.

In order to do this you have to be able to trace a distinct lineage to each style you mentioned. Lineage charts (that can be proven) create checks and balances so that the prospective student is able to discern wether or not a style is real or a replica.

Just like an antique dealer know what to look for when looking for real art, an expert in kung fu can tell whether it's a real traditional system or something that was slapped together by a jack of all trades and master of none.

In the earlier post you mentioned that the Bong Bo set is part of SD. That's a pefect example because when it comes to that form it's distinctly a 7 star form. My sifu Chan Tai San was married to Jew lun's (GC of 7 * PM) and after asking
    some of his student's guess what no one ever herd of SD or master Sin

You see the only whay for someone to know that style is to have trained with someone who can trace their lineage back to them.

I asked Sifu Poo Yee a very well respected GM of southern praying mantis, but nope never herd of you guys.

I asked sifu Chan Poi ( the GM of Wha Lum) and oh yea my sifu's cousin about SD and he is some what of a colorful character like my sifu and well I realy can't repeat what he said.

Should I go on???

It's ok to defend ones style and preference but some of the things that I hear you guys say is just plain stupid, historicaly incorrect, and missleading

greencloud.net
    is very distorted.....

up until recently there were no records of the lineage and history of any styles..

anyone, if they knew enough oral history and tradition ,could write down and say that this is their lineage or history or blahblahblah......but it would not necessarily make it true or authentic...or "REAL"

many forms were created in the shaolin temple and left to be made into other styles and many styles were created outside the temple and were absorbed into the teachings..this has been going on for decades now..

you should explore the whole history of shaolin and not just your little part of it

the forms are there( in SD), the techniques are there, the training is there,and the applications are there..if it was just all slapped together it would not have all these thing

...and if you were involved in SD for even the shortest time you would see this...

I do not believe that your masters or sifus would appreciated you using their names in this thread much less posting that they said something less than flattering about another person or style....this is not what a master or sifu does...

oh and many masters will say just about anything to save face....so it is quite possible that these people have said this or that about SD...this does not really concern me..

I have had chinese people stop me in the park and ask me why I am wearing a Japanese uniform doing chinese martial arts....( I explain and they understand)

.....funny how they could see past the outward appearence yet you can not ...

( plus the forms you have seen performed are not done by the best performers..... in my honest opinion....)
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 09-27-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Tattooed Monk: Let's see some vids of people you consider good.

Also, Have you heard of any of the Masters that Greencloud mentioned?

'Cause if you did you'd be questioning things you think to be true. Yes, you're right that most KF or other MA history is word of mouth, but the people GC mentioned are the real deal and if they have nothing to say or have never heard of SD than something might be up that bears further research on your part. I admire you for standing up for your art, but every coin has 2 sides. Take a look at it from another perspective.

Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by ingchao View Post
    Tattooed Monk: Let's see some vids of people you consider good.

Also, Have you heard of any of the Masters that Greencloud mentioned?

'Cause if you did you'd be questioning things you think to be true. Yes, you're right that most KF or other MA history is word of mouth, but the people GC mentioned are the real deal and if they have nothing to say or have never heard of SD than something might be up that bears further research on your part. I admire you for standing up for your art, but every coin has 2 sides. Take a look at it from another perspective.
    I will ...

yes I have.....

I know their reputations and have met both of them briefly......they both were very nice people and I could not imagine them saying something overly critical or dismissing other people's systems/styles....

I take everything into consideration,everyones words, and everyones knowledge before I come to any conclusion about anything....

what makes them the real deal to me is not the outward appearences or the formalities or the lineage or any other superficial aspects but the quality of the material taught and the usage of the techniques...period.

I have seen good and bad in every art I have ever studied......I was in SD for 15 years and saw plenty of both

I have seen all the material up to 6th black.....and have 25 years total experience in the martial arts...so it is not like I am some newbee