Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300

dont know if any of you have seen this preview. or read Frank Millers short graphic novel on which it is based.

saw a preview a few days ago, but im slow and all online content i can find has been removed from warner bro's

looks great though. seems to me its sticking to the story, which was short so not hard. likely lots of add in stuff.

frank miller is the bomb and he owns you
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

CHECK IT BEFORE IT GOES!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEDIDYMRcQ

mickey

300 is probably tied for my favorite graphic novel I've ever read. Great story, great art...I just loved the "feel" of the whole thing. If the movie can convey the story the way the graphic novel did it'll be a fantastic film.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Awesome. Any release date set?
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

i wl strongly advice u to read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. An outstanding book that tells the story of Leonidas and his 300 spartans. Different time different people
    One of the few good thinks to be a greek and called Leonidas like my self.

Leonidas is translated as the one that looks like a lion
    and an accurate explanation by wikipedia about the fight
    Who dares Wins

i wl strongly advice u to read Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. An outstanding book that tells the story of Leonidas and his 300 spartans. Different time different people
    One of the few good thinks to be a greek and called Leonidas like my self.

Leonidas is translated as the one that looks like a lion
    and an accurate explanation by wikipedia about the fight

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ote=1&p=708717
    Who dares Wins

apparently it's due out on March 9, 2007

and yes... it's a great graphic novel.

I'm looking forward to this one -- I bought the individual issues of this comic book back in the day -- I think there were 5 or so -- and was really drawn in by the artwork. I've checked out the preliminary work they've done, and much like Sin City, it looks they are trying to preserve the "feel" of the comic, which is a great idea and worked very effectively in Sin City. Should be one of the coolest movies next year.

On a related note -- this reminds me of my old high school history teacher -- while covering the Greco-Persian war, he dubbed Xerxes with a new name -- Jerkxes -- because he had the sea whipped after his bridge over the Hellespont was destroyed in a great storm (those crazy denizens of yore)

Now hopefully one day Frank will adapt his Ronin series to film ...
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

I believe Ronin Has been optioned... might be a bit dated and need some reworking...

If you've only read 300 in the individual issue you Really should check out the graphic novel. The original artwork had to be heavily re-worked from its original format to fit the typical comic-book sized and dimensions.

Basicly each doublepage layout is one page in the Graphic Novel... but bigger.

Hmm that has piqued my interest Design Sifu -- I think I will track down that graphic novel now just to see the new format. Plus, it's been years since I've read it anyways and all my old comic books are up in boxes above the attic.

As an adult who has long ago given up my childhood obsession with comics for the most part (but still likes to read them now again, especially the well written ones), I tend to like graphic novels better anyways -- you don't have to worry about bending the pages or keeping them stored in acid-free bags and the paper stock is always better as well.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Then you'll certainly enjoy the 300 graphic novel... it's hardcover and just a very solid book... the art looks great and it makes for such a smooth read in collected form. I tend to pull it off of the shelf and give it a read every so often. It's so self contained.

BTW:
    here's what Frank Millar's had to say about the upcoming film . . .
    "It's really hard to tell," Miller said about what was most satisfying to see translated. "The darker part of me would be when they start to push the dead soldiers on the immortals. It's so perfectly realized, but the combat stuff is pretty stunning. There are hundreds of images that I just looked at and, if I have to pick an ultimate favorite it's the shot of the boy stabbing the spear and seeing the shadow of the wolf with the spear going through his mouth. That was one of my favorite panels that I drew and he captured it to perfection."

ronin would be an insanely awsome film if adapted correctly.

i think we can expect frank to make sure the adaptions are put through smoothly and correctly onto film.

he is frank miller
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I know I'm not the only one who saw it over the weekend. Thoughts?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

300 was a gret comic!!!

if you haven't read it... I'd recomend it.

As for the film, it was great fun. The fight choregraphy was interesting, sure it was just a bit video gamey here and there but it seemed to serve the bad@ssatude of those spartans.

How historicly accurate we're to believe this story to be? No clue, there was a slightly tragic "black bad guys vs. white good guys" dynamic going on. Who'd have thought those persians where such pioneers in facial piercings?

ANYWAY it made for a fun night out.

:P