Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300

It was SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET.

History was way off, but I didn't mind.

I just wish I had Spartan abs!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yes, i agree the movie is great but the history is way off...the history channel did a better job.

loved the movie. only movie since x-men 3 (total dissapointment btw) and super man that got me to actually go to the theatre and pay to see it.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I was glad that they used the phalanx, it was realistic at least when it came to the pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

the current issue of men's health talks a little about leonidas' training regimen 4 months prior to the filming. his exact regimen is on the website
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post

Fukking A. As for the phalanx, they showed it in a couple of key times, but it seems that the broke formation way to often in favor of cool looking fight moves. But I thought the movie was a total blast!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

it's been all over cnn today. it's a big hit in greece, but the iranians will not show it in theaters. They are saying it is an insult to their culture, and they think the creator is trying to put them down...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

It would have been nice to see the Phalanx stack up tactically against the tactics of the thousand nations armies they faced but they were going for the look of the Miller work. Personally I can't stand the washed out color look of the film, it didn't work in "Saving Private Ryan," why hasn't it been put back on the shelf?

Historical accuracy aside, even if the movie showed that the Spartans had a slave to citizen ration of eleven to one, the Persains would be ****ed that they were shown to be the agressors. They have the same mentality as the French, they can never get over that they lost the number one spot among nations.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

Quote Originally Posted by Sang Feng Fan View Post
    Personally I can't stand the washed out color look of the film, it didn't work in "Saving Private Ryan," why hasn't it been put back on the shelf?
    cuz it worked for sin city

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    cuz it worked for sin city
    It worked well in the comic and for my money I would have preferred to see an original interpretation.

It was like watching the remake of psycho, frame for frame, shot for shot, line for line, it brought nothing new, no new angle, revelation or point of view. It was too safe.

At least the versions of Beau Geste over the years took some risks, even the parody version.

Fighting on the Internet and competing in the Special Olympics have a lot in common. They are both exclusively for the Retarded. Anon

Among the many proud moments of my life was having my discipleship posted on Mantis Cave and one of the funniest was when I saw how they mis-spelled it. Moi

So go watch the 1964 version "300 Spartans."

It's technicolor and even gets the history right.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

bleach bypass

Originally Posted by Sang Feng Fan
    Personally I can't stand the washed out color look of the film, it didn't work in "Saving Private Ryan," why hasn't it been put back on the shelf?
    it's called bleach bypass and considering saving private ryan was a block buster it did work. as for the process it's used to enhance the silver tones in the film, and give your film a gritty look tony scott use's it alot and its always used for like action shoot'em ups cause it makes the EXT. look a buit depressing. the reason filmmakers keep using it is cause people like. your opinion of it is in the minorioty sorry to disapoint. but many a filmmaker use it and will continue to use it. also they didn't use it for sin city cause it makes you picture look really dark and had they used it you would not have been able to see the film. anyway just giving my two bits as a filmmaker. as for the movie it was a bit propagandirish for me. and yeah design your right i didn't lkike the bad black guy versus the good white guy thing either. but as for just an action movie it was good, not the best but good. get ready for a sequal, cause remember one of them servived and if we know hollywood (and we do) there gonna make a sequal with him as the lead, and proabably with the kings son all grown up. oh and on another note it did remind me of sam peckinpahs film the wild bunch. anybody else get that or was it just me, maybe it was all th slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    it's called bleach bypass and considering saving private ryan was a block buster it did work.
    Masterkiller,

You are the third person to tell me that, I will.

Doug,

I know what it's called and I remember that most of the reviews canned the process as a cheap attempt to look like actual historical footage. My opinion represented a majority of what the industry and reviews thought of it, campy. Try bleaching on a copy of "American Ninja 2, The Confrontation" and tell me if it will pull in the same green at the box office.

Saving Private Ryan's success lied in it's casting, adults went to see Tom Hanks act, teenage boys to watch gore and fourteen year old girls went to see matt Damon cry.

Peace and radiation,
    Chuk T.

we still use it

considering that we in the industry still use the process. for action and horror films. i doubt if its going anywhere so i guess you gotta get use to it.

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I didn't like the addition of the scenes with the king's wife, nor the "extra freaky" minions of Xerxes. I also thought they could've done without the little additions to lines that made Leonidas seem much nicer then he was originally written.

Other then that, fights were good.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.