Thread: OT: Computer Question re: anti-virus software

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

OT: Computer Question re: anti-virus software

{Seven and Rub, I'll scrap this myself as soon as anyone gives me a good link}

BOTTOM LINE: I want to find a virus search and destroy type of program that stays updated on the latest definitions but doesn't totally take over the machine.

Can anyone point me to a good program for that? I don't mind paying for it, I just don't want it to rape my processor or RAM.

read below only for details:

so, I've been using McaFEE for a while and it's been ok and I've been paying the annual fee, etc, yadayadayada...but, the latest update of about a month or so ago seems to have totally tanked my processor and memory. I don't have a 'screamin' machine' or anything but it is a 2.7 Celeron with 1gb of RAM...which now takes 5 seconds to load IE. I run Adaware and 'the other one that I can't think of the name right now' weekly, several times this weekend, so hopefully no trojans or other spyware/malware that's slowing me down. I have tons of 'processes' running and all the ones I've googled to find out what they were ended up being associated with Mcafee. So, i'm figuring Mcafee has just gotten totally invasive. I've turned off as much as I seemingly can turn off but it hasn't changed the number of processes associated with it.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Oso,

I know what you mean about the Anti-virus programs that hog up your memory and bring your browsing, etc. to a screeching halt. My cpu is similiar to yours, and I used Norton for a long time but ran into the same problems. I tried a bunch of different trial versions, and eventually settled with AVG Anti-Virus. It is available in a free version that you can set up to automatically update, and it also works as an email scanner. I've used it for about 2 years now and have yet to run into any nasty email or web viruses. It is very light in terms of system resources, and hasn't ever seemed to bog down my system. Plus, you can't beat free.

You can download the free version at: http://www.grisoft.com/
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

thanks much. will give them a try.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Try this....

It's not invasive and works pretty well.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/

Of course, you have to buy it, but I've never had any issues with it.

use your router's firewall, use your system firewall and give it a check up with lavasoft adaware or spybot search and destroy now and then. Be careful of the attachments you open and mind your surfing.

If you do all these things, you shouldn't be getting viruses really.
    I don't put much stock in anti virus software. Despite it's ubiquity, viruses defeat it, even old ones via email attachments. go figure that netsky and beagle and blaster are still making the rounds despite definitions and updates etc etc.

Kind of a clue to the value of anti virus stuff.
    Just be careful and you'll be fine.

p.s I have never used anti virus software and by doing these simple things have never been infected.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"AVAST" and "SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY"

They both will do what you need, but together, they are Tenacious d

strike!

Oh, and "ZONE ALARM" Firewall. It seems to be doing all of the work nowadays. Those others can clean you up if you need it.

strike!

I go with zonealarm, adaware, spybot and AVG free edition as well. Never had a problem...I've never had AVG scan a virus actually, so I'd say DJ has taken the correct and spanked it until it called him kung lek.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks, all. I've only ever gotten a virus once and that was when my girlfriend at the time tried to search for song lyrics and the website she went to off of Google immediately seized my machine and totally screwed it to the point that it wouldn't let me even reinstall windows...had to install a new hardrive and windows and then scrub the 1st harddrive....but, anyway...no, my normal habits don't cause me to get hit with anything that adaware and spybot don't take care of...I think my issues are directly related to me agreeing to purchase the whole Mcafee suit of protection (it was on sale pretty cheap) Immediately after installing it everything ground to a slow crawl...'active scanning' is the culprit I think.

so, I'll check out AGV and mozilla and zonalarm.

Mods: I'll delete this thread this evening after I get home.

I've got PC Tools antivirus 2.1 and i like it.
    i'll probably get the AVG one as back up.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Naw, keep it up for a week or so.

At work we have to turn off the virus scanning because it just eats cycles like 7* does bacon sammiches. Very self defeating.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

naw, this thread will self destruct in the morning.

thanks everyone.

getting ready to kill Mcafee...

I've always liked McAfee but it's turned into something of a monster these days. Seem like every time I get on one of my computers it downloads updates and bogs down my surfing.

You're right, it runs too many processes and if you look during a slow down McAffee will be the one hogging the resources. I'm about ready to dump it here myself.

You can really just get by with Adaware and Spybot. I ran my laptop like that for years.