Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shi Yan Ming & Shaolin Temple USA

Originally posted by Richard Sloan
    I'm not surprised a lot of students leave to go and learn to "fight" at other schools, because nothing like that really happens until level 2 is reached, and that is mostly a lot of padwork, depending. What you do learn is not readily apparent as far as what most people think of when they think of fighting.
    That is a total cop out and a commonly used phrase in the contemperary wushu and McDojo world.

In any traditional CMA school, fight training is obviously apparent from day one.

Cheers,
    BBK

I don't buy it. Basics are the key to excellence. if he wants to spend extra time on basics, and then get into fighting later, that can only be good.

So long as he's not giving Black sashes to people with 10 forms and no functional fighting skills, i think all is good.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

These kinds of threads are always good for a laugh. The way people pick apart what you say. Here's a little more meat for your grinder.

Just to satisfy a response and to kill time before I get into my next meeting, I use and have used my training, from day one, in the real world in my capacity of running various venues and nightclubs in Jamaica, so you can sit and spin on your cop out bullsh!t about what is and what is not "traditional" CMA training, what is obvious and what is not when it comes to training traditional CMAs, as if you are the arbiter of what that means. God. People should remember this is an internet forum, which is generally good for conversation, so when I respond to something Ten Tigers says conversationally, that is all it is, a conversational response. It's not a response that is meant to lay out all information ever about the subject. While the influence of PRC wushu is apparent in the Henan Shaolin temple, especially now, I know the lineage of several masters and my own, and it traces directly back, monk to monk, to before the 1928 attack, which suppposedly crushed Shaolin, it dates back to before the turn of the century and obviously ****her. So um...yeah, it's "traditional." But at a certain point most "traditional" arts we have with us today are frozen in time, they always adopted the weapons of the day, but why did they stop? So to me, the sobriquet of what is "traditional" and what is not....it's pretty humorous to watch armchair warriors bandy about this and that and eventually I lose interest and just frankly do not care because it is a waste of time and worse yet time wasted by people who are generally clueless, rather insignificant, and just have their little point of view to express in tiny words with tiny thoughts and they will go to bed at night dreaming their tiny or maybe inflated dreams of what have you and at the end of the day, it has little to no bearing on my day to day, it just wasted my time.

What I was generally speaking to was we have a lot of preperatory work and very often people don't want to put in the time to get the best benefits. Don't even pretend there isn't a lot of that work in CMA to build foundations, speed, strength, and this tied inextricably to flexibility. I mean that's obvious, because the MMA guys all complain to hell and gone about it, lol....That's basically what I was referring to. There is no ****genous TCMA methodology to establish fighting skills anyway. Do an exhaustive survey and this quickly becomes apparent. IF there was one way there would be only one, Highlander, one style, or a few. Who needs TCMA for that anyway? All you need to do for that is learn how to fight, any fool can learn how to do that and the jails are full of these kinds of idiots. And if you want to learn how to fight, you basically have to develop what I call the hit on 16 mentality. People crack me the hell up, I want to fight I want to fight. Lol. No, they want to live out some fantasy where they beat up 5 attackers single handed and save the pretty girl cue guitar music. I love this one, they want to be prepared for the "real" world. But they spend time training twin broadswords. LOL. Good for you you are so traditional, you are sooooooo cool. Well I live half the year where there is still a sword culture, in that people still resolve issues by going to a machette or cutlass so to speak but I don't know what you are doing in manhattan with your twin broadswords.

If you wanted to be prepared for street encounters the last thing in the world you would really want to do is spend years learning a martial art. You would want to be a cop. You have equipment, and numbers on your side. That would be best. I'm joking sort of, but if I can't have fun with you and your post what good is responding to it. Then I would have really wasted my time. I don't know many MA's who train with modern weapons but I have met a few and admire their honesty.

Anyway, enough of the tirade, for all I know, TT is getting students from the other monks and none are coming to him specifically from us. But I don't assume that, because it is just conversation. But I have seen Yan Ming turn people away who came in and right off the bat stated flatly they want to learn how to fight, because those toolboxes are better off someplace else.

The benefits of the training are "obviously apparent" when I can put my foot in your throat before you can blink after a month of training when I couldn't touch my toes before I started, much less kick anything, or control your drunk ass 10 ways come Sunday right out the front gate to roll you around in the jerk chicken bones just from learning a basic stance form.

It's been awhile since I've had to punch someone, but that's probably because it is true what they say, at first it is about fighting, but later it is about something else. Besides, now I have people under me so I can just freshen up my çocktail when a situation comes up and let others deal with it.

Point is, I train with Yan Ming, and use the benefits gained from my training in my day to day. So to hear you comment about traditional this, cop out that, is where I kind of start to shrug.

Maybe Gene will take a pull at the grist mill, as he has what anyone can see is "tradtional" training and has written about his comparisons back and forth with Shaolin.

Over to you Gene....
    Last edited by richard sloan; 10-05-2006 at 10:18 AM. Reason: edited to say, "over to you Gene," which for some reason is making me crack up over here.

mmmm Chimay

You know, I once bought Yanming a Chimay ale. I don't know about Yanming, the Pope, the Dalai Lama, but I do it for the money. You have no idea how much it costs to produce and distribute an independant print magazine nowadays. That's my cue to say subscribe now.

But back to the notion of tithing, beleive it or not, religious figures need money. Giving donations to monks is a common practice throughout Asia. Some donate meals. Others donate money. In addition, any disciple will support his master. This is universal, whether you are Shaolin or any other school of CMA. I support my master with a red envelope everytime I see him. I'm sure that Guolin supports his master, Abbot Yongxin. That's tradition. It's amazing to me how many people will say 'traditional' martial arts are dead in China and they don't even know the basic traditions of Chinese culture.

The McFranchise model just doesn't apply to Shaolin Temple. It reminds me of when I told a good friend that there was a McDonalds by Tiananmen Square. He shouted victoriously "We've won! We've won!" I said, "Yea, one McDonalds in Tiananmen. How many Chinese restaurants are there in America?"

Thanks for the update on Deshan, Pk_StyLeZ. I'm a little out of touch with the Houston scene nowadays (and some of that is intentional).

You know, it's really not going to be about McDonalds and Shaolin. It's going to be about Burger King and Shaolin. This will make a lot more sense next February.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So what kind of Shaolin kung fu does Yan Ming teach?

Thanks,
    BBK

BBK- Xin Ching. You're welcome.

Gene- One year I managed to get some Franziskaaner past his lips, and even some Lambic Framboise.

That was a fantastic party, lol...

He is very loyal to Corona, and ironically enough, the disciple who is running things in Mexico is descended from THAT Corona.

Weird, but true.

That's the one thing that makes me suspicious about Yanming...

...I don't care for Corona at all. Any beer you gotta add a lime to, that's just wrong. I only make exceptions for Hefeweitzen and that's lemon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

you guy need to try national bohemian. or natty bo for short ay better and cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...I don't care for Corona at all. Any beer you gotta add a lime to, that's just wrong. I only make exceptions for Hefeweitzen and that's lemon.
    you gotta see how they drink it in Mx. They add all kinds of stuff waaaaay beyond lime- hot sauce? No problem. Tekillya? Yup.

Saw one guy dump grenadine in his corona which really sent me for a loop. I guess that is kind of like framboise, lol...

I'm basically a rum guy since I also like cigars. But if I drink beer, it's gotta be something akin to chimay. You and leub'd love franziskaner, the dunkel is awesome.

They put worms in tequila bottles. Beat that!

Worms in tequila ain't squat

Where do you squat a lot?
    China.
    You squat in horse. You squat taking a dump. You squat waiting for the bus. It's all about squatting. And you've never dealt with weird crap in your hard liquor until you've been to China. I've seen snakes, lizards, turtles, sea horses - some of their liquors look like biological specimens. Of course, RS and SL know this because they've both been there. China drinking can be pretty intense. But at least they don't add crap to their beer. The local China beers are quite good, mostly descended from brewing they learned from the Germans. Mexican brewing, well, tropical brewing in general isn't that great, too light for my tastes. That makes sense where it's hot, but that's still not to my liking. The exception is the former Brit colonies. At least they all know Guinness.

SL: Natty Bo is good. Not a fav of mine but I'd grab it out of the chest if none of my faves were present. Might grab it just to change it up a bit.

RS: Sounds like we have similar tastes in high end beers. Love that stuff. Can't afford it, but love it.

hmmm, this thread took a funny turn, eh?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

lol yes quite a turn, but as they say, how "Ch'an."

You know you can age Chimay?

It's like wine, since it is bottle conditioned, it just keeps getting better the older it gets.

indeed

I have a few bottles of Chimay in the wine cabinet. They've been aging for a few years now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

PARTY at GENE'S!!!

lol...I hope it's one of the Grand Reserve Magnums...

ahhh and so the shaolin critics come out....again

Shi Yan Ming has been quite successful in setting up his schools, books, etc. Whats wrong with that? Shi Yan Ming has things always in the works it seems. It never ceases to amaze me how many people sit back and criticize. Shi Yan Ming and probably Shi Guolin, IMO, are the two top monks in the USA that have been the most successful in running and expanding their schools. They have solid foundations.

I really can't believe how many people still sit and ponder how real "monks" are these days. After numerous articles and a few conversations with some of the monks would obviously tell you that the "martial" monks are not religious monks. 100% of the "monks" at Shaolin are there to learn gong fu and not to become a religious monk in a religious temple. These guys have spent half of their lives training day in and day out at shaolin and yet some are going to say they cant be associated with shaolin because they eat meat? drink alcohol? decide to marry? Ridiculous. Some of you need to re-read some of the previous shaolin issues (especially the ones with the Li Peng interview).