Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taizu Longfist Vids

Taizu Longfist Vids

Here's my shifu doing the first two forms of Taizu Longfist from the Jiaomen (Islamic) Longfist Tradition. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0f4Ojz__o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3tybhzweA

Also, here's San-cai Jian, a famous straight sword form from the Nanjing Central Martial Arts Institute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8aVyzAFGSk
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Cool refer to my post...

Quote Originally Posted by onyomi View Post
    Here's my shifu doing the first two forms of Taizu Longfist from the Jiaomen (Islamic) Longfist Tradition. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy0f4Ojz__o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3tybhzweA

Also, here's San-cai Jian, a famous straight sword form from the Nanjing Central Martial Arts Institute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8aVyzAFGSk
    in the KungFu forum Mizong thread posted by the Xia for my opinion....

I really love this guys Kung Fu.....

I have a friend from a Taiwan lineage who says these are the 7th, and 8th forms of his Tai Tzu Hong Chuan style.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    I have a friend from a Taiwan lineage who says these are the 7th, and 8th forms of his Tai Tzu Hong Chuan style.
    That's funny... Isn't Hong Quan a seperate set of forms from Taizu, like Xiao Hongquan and Da Hongquan? In my shifu's tradition at least, they are a seprate set of forms within Longfist. I've seen some other vids of Taiwanese practitioners in the Han Qingtang lineage doing forms called Taizu Yilu and Taizu Erlu which looked basically the same as my Shifu's. Is your friend possibly from a non-Han Qingtang Taiwanese Longfist lineage?
    Last edited by onyomi; 09-27-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Great stuff.

nice set demos, but the sound effects are cheesy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings,

Thank you for sharing. Your Master's performance appears so effortless, it is as if he is dancing with the forms.

mickey

Tai Tzu Chang Chuan is a different, but closely related style. Both have the same origin, and from a technicall stand point are vertually identical in performance. Most people who do Tai Tzu Hong Chuan consider it the same as Tai Tzu Chang Chuan. In all honesty, I have not been able to differentiate between the two as of yet. The Shaolin Tai Tzu is the oldests set, and as far as i can see it is a whole style in one form. Only one of 3 sections are public though. I think Tai Tzu Hong Chuan is an expansion on the original system, as changing the original may not have been desireable due to honering the Empror and all.

Many lines credit the Emperor with developing all of it. The original Tai Tzu Chang chuan, and 4 short Tai Tzu Hong Chuan sets, and 6 longer ones (Your teacher's system). The Yilu, and Erlu you speak of are also part of that system.

My freind says the Xiao Hong your teacher sells as part of the tai tzu package is also from his system of Tai Tzu Hong Chuan.

Tai Tzu period, is very old, and has a lot of branches. My theory is that originally it was not a form, and just taught as a series of 32 techniques, and the fighting principals, and strategy used in thier implementation. it was a military art, and there was little time for forms. Soldiers needed skills to work quick, so the trainining was most like ly all two man drills and conditioning in addition to theory.

As I understand Chinese martial history, forms were not big untill the Yuan dynasty (Outside of Shaolin anyway). At this point, Tai Tzu surely had many branches. If each codeified their Tai tzu independantly, many lines would have evolved, all with different curicculems.

Your teacher's, and my freind are just two that are closely related (same forms, just taught in different orders). Given to similarity of the sets (according to him), and that both are Taiwan lineages, they may be brothers of the same line, or sibling lines.

Also, *Tai Tzu* Hong Chuan is different form regular Hong Chuan. There is more than one Northern style that carrys the Hong Chuan name, but they are sperate systems.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Also, *Tai Tzu* Hong Chuan is different form regular Hong Chuan. There is more than one Northern style that carrys the Hong Chuan name, but they are sperate systems.
    Interesting stuff. That would explain why my shifu's Xiao Hong-quan doesn't look much like most other Xiao Hong-quan forms I've seen.

Also, you're right about Taizu not having forms originally. I believe my teacher said it was just a set of positions and various moves or strategies you can employ from these various positions. The forms were probably created in the Ming or Qing, I believe.

Anyone heard of Cha Style Chang Quan?

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

Yes, I have heard of Cha Fist. it is also a descendant of tai tzu. In fact, i do the "Cha Fist" version of the form in the links above. it is quite similar.

The forms were probably created in the Ming or Qing, I believe.

Reply]
    I dissagree. Tai tzu (from what i can tell) was perfected during the Ming dynasty. I have heard the long form goes back to that time. the long form is taught in 18 sections, each section is 32-64 moves in length.

I believe the Shaolin created the first from during the Sung dynasty to preserve the Emperor's teaching's. later during the Yuan dynasty everyone else codeified thier Tai tzu systems into forms, so it was a common practice by the time the Ming rolled around.

Tai Tzu is a very old style. I think it changed in many branches around the time of the Qing, and went from being one long form, to each section being taught as stand alone forms for comercial purposes. As time went on the original order got scrambled and we have what we have now.

Incedentally, i have heard rummurs that the Long form still exists in some schools on the mainland. i just don't know where.

I am waitng for Shaolin Master, and Sal Canzonieri to chime in here. Both are more knowledgeable on the subject than i am.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Nice forms very fluid KC
    Last edited by kwaichang; 10-01-2006 at 08:47 AM.
    A Fool is Born every Day !

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwang View Post
    Onyomi, can I ask a honest question here and get an honest answer?

Onyomi, have you ever met this man doing the forms in these videos?
    Um, yes I've met him. I would even say he is my friend. He taught me Longfist, Mantis and Qigong for 2 years in Taipei. Why would I refer to him as "my teacher" or "my shifu" if I had never met him?
    Last edited by onyomi; 10-01-2006 at 11:08 AM.

OK great. It is just that those videos are professional/hollywood type multi camera/angle vidoes that look to be for teaching or portfolio for acting. And I know there are a few of us here that train systems from video claiming then that they know the system and lineage to that video instructor. So I was just curious and wanted to ask....
    LOL, Ahhhhh, got to love those video masters.
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

OK great. It is just that those videos are professional/hollywood type multi camera/angle vidoes that look to be for teaching or portfolio for acting. And I know there are a few of us here that train systems from video claiming then that they know the system and lineage to that video instructor. So I was just curious and wanted to ask....
    Well, they are free previews for the instructional DVDs he produces and sells. He used to work in the Hong Kong film industry, which is where the "chop-socky" feel comes from, and which is also why he's good at getting the right camera angles, etc. for martial arts performances. The DVDs are very good and detailed. You could actually learn a lot from them, especially if you had previous experience in the styles taught. I use them a lot to review forms I learned from him and often find things I never noticed before, despite having gone through the DVD multiple times. I do have to admit that I've learned some forms he never taught me in person from his DVDs, though the degree to which I understand them is naturally somewhat lower.

BTW, Zhou Shifu has just recently started selling the DVDs for these two forms with English subtitles (translated by yours truely) at www.kungfuloung.com.tw. I highly recommend them to anyone who practices or is interested in Longfist. Of course, there are limits to how much you can learn from a DVD, but they're also way more detailed than 99% of Wushu DVDs/VCDs out there. (No, I don't get a commision )
    Last edited by onyomi; 10-01-2006 at 01:31 PM.