Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wah Lum Student

New Wah Lum Student

Hello, I train in Wah Lum Mantis kung fu. Ive only been doing it for over a month, but i really like everything about kung fu. I also do lion dance. I was wondering what everyone else thinks of Wah lum compared to other northern mantis styles. I know it is under Jut Sow, but i really cant find much on what the differences are between the different mantis styles

what's your name?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis inCorner View Post
    Hello, I train in Wah Lum Mantis kung fu. Ive only been doing it for over a month, but i really like everything about kung fu. I also do lion dance. I was wondering what everyone else thinks of Wah lum compared to other northern mantis styles. I know it is under Jut Sow, but i really cant find much on what the differences are between the different mantis styles

Do you know Sammygirl from Dragonslist? She trains Wah Lum in Boston and does lion dance.

HI Mantis Corner,

I started Wah Lum about 9 months ago in the Boston area as well.
    I like the style, but most importantly I like my Sifu and all the people I've met in the school as well as the other schools.

I think that this is far more important then the style as such unless you have something VERY specific you are trying to get out of it.

I have a background in Shotokan, soccer and mountain climbing so I thought my legs were strong, but the low stances still kick my A** (granted that this is after 3 knee surgeries)

The BIGGEST issue I see about the style - and I think there was a discussion here about it maybe in general - is the low stances and doing them properly.

If you do not listen or push yourself to far too fast you can cause serious injury IMHO.

Corwyn

PS what school?

You,re near my area (Boston area). What school do you attend?
    Always learning

is he/she scared of us? he's not answering any questions

I am sure it has nothing to do with you Shaolin Dude

Its a public forum and not everyone is eager to make public thier real name.

There absolutely is no discredit in it either.

Why dont you send them a PM?
    Last edited by bungbukuen; 09-26-2006 at 03:52 AM.

Looks like the school is in Malden. Teachers name is Mai Du. Your in luck, she is having her Grand Opening this weekend October 1st. Looks like Chan Pui will be there from what her website says. Location 124 Ferry Street. WL grand openings are exciting maybe Shaolin Dude or Corwyn can attend and give us a report. I wouldnt bust the kids chops about reveiling info, maybe he is shy, and I recommend pm`s for this. JMO
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    Looks like the school is in Malden. Teachers name is Mai Du. Your in luck, she is having her Grand Opening this weekend October 1st. Looks like Chan Pui will be there from what her website says. Location 124 Ferry Street. WL grand openings are exciting maybe Shaolin Dude or Corwyn can attend and give us a report. I wouldnt bust the kids chops about reveiling info, maybe he is shy, and I recommend pm`s for this. JMO
    I'll be there. She's a good teacher

Tell everyone I said hello. Wish I could be there for the event. I never did make it up that way even once.

I teach sometimes in Boston but baguazhang not tonglong.

Well I'll have to see if I can make it up there. Maybe my Sifu has info on time etc.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Corwyn View Post
    Well I'll have to see if I can make it up there. Maybe my Sifu has info on time etc.

C
    it starts at 12pm

yup, just found the info on her website.

C

So how was the Grand Opening in Malden?
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"