Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Chinese Weights

Traditional Chinese Weights

An obvious compliment to Kung Fu. Has anyone tried them?

In my style we use weight vest training. We also do an eagle claw exercise where we hold a brick in each hand and perform certain movements in the training for twenty minutes along with releasing and catching the bricks 100x each arm. In another weighted training we utilize concrete posts that we do various movements with and these range in weight from 50-100 lbs. or so. The final traditional training we do is a tiger training called he twenty-four tigers exercise. In this exercise we hold weighted vessels and perform twenty-four different movements for twenty-four repetitions non-stop. That's a total of 576 repetitions so as you can imagine it's pretty intense.
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

shuai chiao uses pulleys with weights to simulate throws. Also there is a device called the rock pole.

As franco stated, there is the brick training, and also carrying weighted vases.

When I was training kung fu, we used a weight vest as well. Western boxing does also.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks for the opening, Xia!

I'm guessing Xia is refering to my latest article in the 2006 November/December issue: Increase Your Grip Power with Homemade Stone Locks: Grandmaster Tu's Chamber of 99 Power

Worthy of note, Gigi and I also did an article on Shuai Chiao training tools back in our 2006 January/February issue: Master Charng’s Shuai Chiao Training Methods.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

We use wooden versions of those in varying weights. And an enterprising club member came up with a metal grip welded onto a screw thread so that you can attach different weights as you get stronger. We are encouraged to aim to be able to do pow chois with at least 15% (20% for men) body weight using those.
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer"-- Bruce Graham

what is a pow choi?
    How do you beat a man who trains harder than you and who puts himself through more pain than any person ever could? -You don't.

Quote Originally Posted by franco1688 View Post
    what is a pow choi?
    "Cannon Punch". It's a Longfist style. Although it is a style in of itself, it's also found in other systems.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    I'm guessing Xia is refering to my latest article in the 2006 November/December issue: Increase Your Grip Power with Homemade Stone Locks: Grandmaster Tu's Chamber of 99 Power

Worthy of note, Gigi and I also did an article on Shuai Chiao training tools back in our 2006 January/February issue: Master Charng’s Shuai Chiao Training Methods.
    You are sort of correct. Actually, I do remember reading things about Shuai Chiao weights in the magazine. However, I didn't see the latest article. I'll make a note of giving it a look. It should also be interesting to see an article focusing on Grandmaster Tu that doesn't revolve around his crotch.
    Subconsciously, that Shuai Chiao article may have influenced my creating this thread (since it's one of the first things I remember reading about Chinese weights). Ok, I'll be really nice. Does martialartsmart sell Chinese weights?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    It should also be interesting to see an article focusing on Grandmaster Tu that doesn't revolve around his crotch.

Why? My whole life revolves around mine...

There was an article by him a few months ago that was not crotch related. It was about ancient chinese training devices.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    There was an article by him a few months ago that was not crotch related. It was about ancient chinese training devices.
    I remember that one. I find both Iron Crotch and non-Iron Crotch articles on GM Tu interesting.

I used to be known for my iron crotch but then I got married.

I don't see the point of "traditional Chinese weights" when I can go to ****'s Sporting Goods and buy modern weights that work just fine.
    Maybe weighted jars and stone locks were great for poor Chinese folk who could not afford or did not have access to modern conveniences. Come to think of it they may not have had a Ming's Sporting Goods back in the old days. However, modern equipment is far superior ergonomically and practically, IMHO.
    Weighted vests, I will agree, are great training devices.

moo ying -- you're right. as we discuss on here pretty much constantly, weight is weight. a 10-lb stone lock is just as heavy as a 10-lb plate. your muscles don't know the difference. all they know is someone's making them work, so they need to respond in kind.

however, basic weight work won't give you the same sweet callouses that a good stone lock will.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Quote Originally Posted by rubthebuddha View Post
    however, basic weight work won't give you the same sweet callouses that a good stone lock will.
    I've heard you've got a particularly calloused right hand palm. How did you get those callouses - from weight training?
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

I lift weights 3-4 times a week and I won't disagree that modern weight lifting is superior in some aspects and for the most part a weight is just a weight. But, traditional chinese style weight training does have it's place. It's not so much what the weight looks like that matters, it's what you do with it that differentiates modren lifting from traditional chinese methods. In my experience with chinese weight training, the movements generally incorporate the whole body and not just one muscle group and some help develope hand/ eye coordination. As I said I lift weights and I've been doing so for about 15 years, but I feel that the traditional methods translate better into fighting than modern methods. Sure, nowdays to be a succesful fighter you almost have to lift weights to remain competitive but it's the other things that you do (that no one else does) that gives you an edge. So to sum it all up, I guess all I'm saying is that both have their place in a martial artists arsenal and that they are the same in some respect but different in others.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Increase Your Grip Power with Homemade Stone Locks: Grandmaster Tu's Chamber of 99 Power
    I just read this article. It is awesome. It explains the benefits of stonelock weight training. The weight of a stonelock is concentrated on the bottom instead of being distributed on both sides like dumbells have. There are exercises you can do with stonelocks that will greatly increase your grip strength to levels that you can't reach with dumbbells.
    Last edited by The Xia; 11-08-2006 at 05:35 PM.