Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Chinese Weights

Old School Weights

Stone locks bear a strong resemblance to kettlebell training. Both use the whole body in nearly every exercise. IMO this is better than traditional weight training, which tends to isolate muscle groups. For MA purposes it just makes more sense to train your entire body as a unit as often as possible, since the strongest strike is delivered by using your entire body. Now...a shameless plug for my teacher's site: www.iron-body.com Back to our show...
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

It's interesting that you bring up kettlebells BentMonk. They are making a comeback in a big way.

KBs

I know. My teacher has been RKC for almost 4 years. I've had the honor and good fortune to have hung out with Pavel, Mike Mahler, and the guys from Dragon Door at the 2004 Arnold. I've taken an excellent MA seminar from Steve Cotter. I've been training with KBs for 3 years solid, and have made tremendous gains in over all strength. They definitely work.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

MartialArtsMart doesn't carry traditional Chinese weights

It's a really small market and they are a pain to ship. We have enough headaches trying to ship wooden dummies and lions. Maybe someday, when the market is big enough.

Glad you liked that article Xia. And I do try to balance GM Tu's reports, half crotch, half other stuff. Since the last one was other stuff, the next one will be more crotch. Come on now, don't tell me you don't read it. My god - if you search my name on the web, half of the links are to crotch stuff. Such is my internet legacy. How do you think I feel about that? It's what my readership demands of me now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene the Crotch-King

lmao thats harsh

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

It's a fair cop...

...although I prefer 'Iron Crotch Pimp' personally.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...although I prefer 'Iron Crotch Pimp' personally.
    I suppose the ninjettes best have yo nachos!

www.bentmonk.com

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    I don't see the point of "traditional Chinese weights" when I can go to ****'s Sporting Goods and buy modern weights that work just fine.
    Maybe weighted jars and stone locks were great for poor Chinese folk who could not afford or did not have access to modern conveniences. Come to think of it they may not have had a Ming's Sporting Goods back in the old days. However, modern equipment is far superior ergonomically and practically, IMHO.
    Weighted vests, I will agree, are great training devices.
    I've just been trying some exercises with a wing chun pole which I'm not physically strong enough to do yet, and that's given that I do weights and the pole weighs a measly 1.8 kg or so.

I don't know any modern weights exercises which would replicate this training (martially specific) movement, since I suspect part of the difficulty is that the stick is 270 cm long.

In general I agree though.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis
    I don't see the point of "traditional Chinese weights" when I can go to ****'s Sporting Goods and buy modern weights that work just fine.
    Maybe weighted jars and stone locks were great for poor Chinese folk who could not afford or did not have access to modern conveniences. Come to think of it they may not have had a Ming's Sporting Goods back in the old days. However, modern equipment is far superior ergonomically and practically, IMHO.
    Weighted vests, I will agree, are great training devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    In general I agree though.
    You two should read Gene's article. It does a great job of explaining the benefits of stonelocks.

Thanks The Xia

It's all about leverage. Dumbbells are great for bicep work, but stone locks are better for grip work. It's good to have big guns, but it's better to have a strong grip, at least for the martial arts.

As for my iron crotch pimphood, just you wait. Something's coming on that front very soon. Nothing on the nacho ninjette front, sad to say, but it's top of my 'to do' list, believe me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    You two should read Gene's article. It does a great job of explaining the benefits of stonelocks.
    Nah, I should have read Mooying's post better...! I was agreeing just to the idea that a weight is a weight and that modern weights are the same as old weights, not arguing the pros and cons of each... I'm quite sure the balance and distribution of the weight is important, hence my point about the pole.

its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Question

Could you post a link to some images of these?

We use stone locks in Hak Fu Mun, but they're used for many reasons. One of the more intense workouts we use them for is arm conditioning. When you hold one in your grip and throw a punch, the concrete bangs against your forearms, so you get some serious arm conditioning from this.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by BentMonk View Post
    Stone locks bear a strong resemblance to kettlebell training. Both use the whole body in nearly every exercise. IMO this is better than traditional weight training, which tends to isolate muscle groups. For MA purposes it just makes more sense to train your entire body as a unit as often as possible, since the strongest strike is delivered by using your entire body. Now...a shameless plug for my teacher's site: www.iron-body.com Back to our show...
    hold on.... that is false. traditional strength training is NOT about isolation. The bodybuilding regimens are about isolation. Traditional strength training has always been about compound motions. Heck, kettlebells ain't new, nor are the training methods.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What I Meant

I was talking about bodybuilding exercise techniques when I said "traditional". Sorry for the confusion. I know kettlebells aren't new. They are effective though.

www.bentmonk.com