Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training at Wudang

Quote Originally Posted by fiercest tiger View Post
    There is one little form from the wudang i would like to learn and its the one where he is stretching everywhere and using dragon body like movements that is some great flexibility i would like.

Shaolin is a great trip ive been many times, next trip like to visit Hua Shan, Omie, Wutai shan and many others Kun Lun etc.

Good luck with the trip mate!

FT
    Thanks Gary we just want to get out of OZ and lock down for a few months with no distractions. We have some Wudang in our system so it should work well.

Very, be beautiful to reest and train and take in the sites of wudang and the mountains surrounding.

take care
    Garry

BlackTiger

Greetings,

The Wudang Monks recently came to Austin Texas and Held Seminars on qigong and taoist alchemy and they also held a two day seminar on a beginner form called "Wudang Taming the tiger" I was fortunate enough to be a aprt of that seminar and i really liked the form,ALOT. There was not any fancy or difficult to execute moves and techniques, They considered this form one of their internal ones. The English language Barrier was tough for some but if you had a decent knowledge of TCMA then you could pick up the form pretty fast. SO i would imagine that if you and your significant other went there that you would be able to understand what they would be teaching you, and i am sure there would be a guide that would translate(as there was at the seimar i went to).

i have to say that i would love the oportunity to train at Wudang and get some real quality instruction there.

Hey maybe you could take pictures and post em here for us to see when you and your fiance' go.
    Be well,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Thanks for the feedback

Yeah I dont think pics would be a problem....

Sifu You is doing wonders over there spreading traditional local MA and designing new frames bound tight to the applications and is very application centric with the traditional stuff. You and your wife should have a very good time in an esoteric way. Regards!
    We're not gods. Not only are our powers limited, we are sometimes forced to become the devil himself.

Great thats what I want to hear

I would be quite dissapointed if it was just forms with no application.

Thanks for the input!

Training at Wudang

I'd really like to drop out of my life for a month next year and go and study in the mountains with my wife, training, enjoying the scenery and allowing my wife to paint landscapes in the off time.
    I've heard that Wudang is becoming increasingly like Shaolin, and that there are some less than kosher teachers there. I've tried researching, but it's somewhat difficult as I don't read Chinese (yet), and information on the net can be out of date. You Xuande has apparently left Wudang, and I can't find any info on training with Wang li Ping, who are both people who's kung fu I've seen footage of and been impressed by. Do you guys have any suggestions or advice?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Honestly bro I would find an excellent teacher and train with him/her regardless of where they are. Tim Cartmell would be one of my suggestions surely (www.shenwu.com). Hu Xi Lin would be another (www.sixharmoniesmantis.com). Though it is a nice thought to go off into the mountains and train, in all honesty you are most likely going to waste your time.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

My wife isn't going to want to train 8 hours a day in a rundown suburb of Shanghai though. The point is to have an experience. I train regularly with leading masters in my own style, I want someone good (great would be awesome, and Wang Li Ping is very good at Wudang) and I want to spend a month in the mountains.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

To each their own. It would be nice, but I have heard nothing but silly **** re: Wudang / Shaolin etc. Wushu at best Perhaps I am wrong (hope I am), but not from what I hear.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

There's plenty of reasons to train at Wudang

For one, Wudang is really beautiful. It's one of the most beautiful mountain ranges I've ever seen. The Himalayas were more beautiful, but that's a different story. For two, there's plenty of good traditional practitioners there. It's quite different than Shaolin however. At Shaolin, everything is pretty close together and there's a concentrated tourist zone. At Wudang, everything is spread out. I was there for only a short time so I didn't see much. But beyond the standard wushu-for-tourists demos, I did see quite a bit of authentic stuff being practiced off stage. You just got to know who to ask and where to look. So many people disregard Wudang and Shaolin based on what they are shown - that's like seeing the Wizard of Oz but missing the man behind the curtain. You can't believe everything you hear, Jake.

Ben, email me privately at gene@kungfumagazine.com. I have someone in Wudang, an American, that could give you more info. He's good on email and I'd be happy to forward your contact info to him. I'd have to leave it up to him to respond however, since I cannot speak for him.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks Gene, and email has been sent
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Hi Ben,
    Good information can be found here:
    http://www.shaolin-wushu.de/phpbb2/v...0259ea44cd5b93

Good Luck

Who has trained at Wudang?

I know there are some folks here that have. Im planning on going there for a spell later this year. Trying to figure out whitch place to train at

http://www.damo-qigong.net/temple/wudang/workshop.htm

or

http://www.wudanggongfu.com/

Thanks for any help.

I didn't train there

...but I did visit it. That's probably not too helpful, but at least it's a reply to your post.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart