Thread: Video: Tong bei quan

Video: Tong bei quan

nice demonstration of it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    very nice indeed. K. Brazier uses some tong bei movements in his teaching of MeiHua Mantis. Shifu Martello is pretty well known in the mantis circle.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs up

Yes.

It is a very good demo.

1. Pi Zhang (chopping palm) or Pi Shan (chopping mountain) with moving steps.

2. Zhuan Quan (drilling palm to fist)

3. combo of 1 and 2.

4. Shuai Zhang (throwing palm) you turn around your hand and arm to hit with the backhand.

5. Pai Zhang (tapping hand)

these are fixed step practices. there are also moving steps with lots of combo of the basic 5 palms.

He is very fast. As the classics said, Shuai Zhang Shi San Dian. Or throwing palm is like a lightening or lightening fast.

And the hand is coming from your centerline or mouth. some of the students forgot about this.

Last edited by SPJ; 10-03-2006 at 06:32 AM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Kevin has had us do 4 and 5. 1 and 2 remind me of xingyi practice I've done.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Sifu Zhang is awsome!

Tongbei is awesome. Brutal stuff.
    Bless you

Hi everybody.

The video is made at a seminar last year in Antwerp, at Sifu Martello´s school. Zhang Laoshi taught some basic TongBei ideas (but Rene - Ming Fai Ho can tell more about this, hope he will rush in!). Also he introduced Shuang Shou Jian (Doublehanded Sword).

The clip is for promoting this years seminars in Antwerp, Netherland and first time in Germany!

I´m lucky to be able hosting a Double - Double feature: Sifu Martello with Miao Dao on Sat and Zhang Laoshi with Shuang Shou Jian. What a weekend this will be ...
    If you can´t change the world - change yourself!
    And if you can´t change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

Martello is the bomb! I hope to get him over here to the US again sometime in the following year. If you guys can make it, you will not be disappointed.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Hi,

I am quite blessed to be able to learn from many great teachers, with Zhang Xinbin Laoshi and Sifu Mike Martello being my most principal teachers.

If one is to observe Zhang Laoshi's movements carefully, we will see that his movements encompass many motions of power: when launching a punch, he will tear with his rear arm, rip with his shoulder, push the ground with his rear leg, ram his forehead, roll his Dantian etc. The entire body moves as a unit, with different parts of the body adding different types of power. His style is very Blitzkrieg-like, overcoming the enemy with destructive, bombarding force.

Sifu Mike's method is like a superior intelligence service, a spy network which penetrates the opponent's body using soft power and sensitivity, without the opponent knowing it untill it's too late. His Qinna, fueled by excellent Jibengong and Tuishou practice, lures the opponent's power out and then uses it against him.

So, it is very interesting to experience these two methods, one Yin one Yang, complementing each other... To borrow concenpts from ancient Chinese political/military philosophy, one is Badao, the Way of the Hegemon (using all powers to dominate and destroy), while the other is Wangdao, the Way of the King (act without effort, and everything will be accomplished).

This may all sound somewhat foggy, so I hope those who are interested will search out these two great teachers and find out for themselves first-hand. I can assure you, it will be a very enlightening experience.

Regards,

Rene Ming Fai
    Last edited by Laviathan; 10-04-2006 at 12:07 AM.
    The Mountaintop no height eschews;
    The Sea eschews no deep.
    And the Duke of Zhou spat out his meal
    An Empire's trust to keep.

Cao Cao, Martial Emperor of Wei

very nice!

here is some video of Baiyuan tongbeiquan teacher Li Zhanhua, who i was fortunate to study with briefly in Beijing. he is not from Zhang Guizeng's lineage (which is part of what in Beijing is called Niujie tongbei because it was practiced among the Muslim community around the Niujie area in Beijing) but a separate lineage in Beijing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocgGW8xmiE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6IxQ70Ae6Q

and some clips of our class here:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=tomlang
    Last edited by beiquan; 10-03-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks Beiquan!

Master Li Zhanhua is another great Tongbei teacher from Beijing. His school and the school of Zhang Laoshi are distantly related, so they do consider themselves to be kungfu cousins. Li Laoshi was also featured in Grandmaster Zhang Guizeng's VCD series.
    The Sea eschews no deep.

German Bai Lung, I just looked at Sifu Martello's Miao Dao form on Youtube (there's a link to it in the sidebar), and I'm very impressed. What style is it? I know it's a weapon commonly associated with Pigua, but everyone's discussing Tongbei and Mantis here.
    If you could email me the seminar details at bengash1000@hotmail.com I may know some people who'd be interested in attending.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Hi Ben,

well the seminar will be held on October 28/29. It sure will be fun. Details I mailed you ...

Sifu Martello knows a lot of styles. And he all teach them in a very unique own fashion.

The MiaoDao is, afaik, not a weapon of a specific style. It iwas created to fight the japanese in the past.
    So its a military weapon only.

But also Rene got a good historical text translated. Maybe he is willingto post it here?!
    If you can´t change the world - change yourself!
    And if you can´t change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

Info on the Miaodao and other forms of Chinese martial arts can be found at the following website:

http://www.formosaneijia.com/

Part of the article I translated is on there.
    The Sea eschews no deep.