Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hung Sing Choy Li Fut

Hung Sing Choy Li Fut

Hello everyone, I've just moved to university in London, and my college has a Hung Sing Choy Li Fut society.

I've been practising martial arts since I was 13, and have focused Eight Step Mantis, Heibei Xingyiquan and Cheng Baguazhang.

Will practising this style harm my practise of the other styles? What do you think? Do you have any advice on a newcomer to CLF?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

Choy Lee Fut looks like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL108-I-vlA

Practicing Choy Li Fut shouldn't harm your other styles, as long as you can keep them separate in your head well enough. The thing with Choy Li Fut is it's a broad church, and while we all share key characteristics, our expressions can be quite different, so that club may not look that much like that clip. If you could tell us what line they're from (IE who the teacher's teacher and their teacher was) we could advise better (indeed, I'm curious myself as I didn't know there was any in London).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Hey, I'm at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies), in Bloomsbury. The class is from www.hungsing.co.uk - this federation. I hope that helps...

Any other thoughts?

S
    Black Mantis

Ah, they're from my line. Sifu Niel is a scarily talented guy with ton of knowledge, and his students are very good, so I'd recommend checking it out.
    Last edited by Ben Gash; 10-04-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Okay great, I'm already treasurer of the society somehow, so I guess I'm involved already.

Could someone just explain some of the main differences I'll find between CLF and mantis/xingyi/bagua?

Thanks!

S
    Black Mantis

It's very difficult for us to describe the differences between Choy Li Fut and 3 very different styles. Go along and check it out, and we'll be more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Some differences..

CLF stances will likely be different foot placement, even for the basics like horse stance and bow and arrow. Different power generation in many respects and footwork/ways of moving around through stances is quite different from those 3. For example if I was in a left side forward horse stance (my left side facing you) in CLF I would likely have my front knee and foot pointed 45 degrees or so off from facing you, but in the arts you mention, more likely the toes of the foot and knee would be pointed at your opponent. That whole hips more open, vs. closed that is found in southern chinese arts often. Hope that helps....the only way to know for sure is to watch carefully and try it.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by blackmantis View Post
    Hey, I'm at SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies), in Bloomsbury. The class is from www.hungsing.co.uk - this federation. I hope that helps...

Any other thoughts?

S

Simo Willcott started martial arts at the age of 11. In 1997 she began her training in Choy Li Fut. She joined the Doc Fai Wong Martial Arts Center, San Francisco in 2000 and since then has travelled there regularly for Choy Li Fut and Tai Chi Tuition. In 2001, she studied alongside Sifu Willcott under Senior Instructor Si-hing Huffman from DFWMAC, San Francisco, World Headquarters. In 2001, she became a student of Grandmaster Doc-fai Wong, and in 2003 she became an officially ranked Simo of the Plum Blossom International Federation by Grandmaster Doc Fai Wong.

what a joke

did anyone explain to her wat simo actually means? or has dfw gone fruity?

CCC, why do you feel the need to randomly start flaming?
    Jo Wilcott is A) a very nice person, B ) very, very good at Kung Fu and C) fulfills both the classical and modern roles of "Simo".
    The issue of how to address a female kung fu instructor is always tricky, as Simo IS the feminine form of Sifu, but the historical/cultural implications of it as an idiom means it is used to refer to a teacher's wife. However, it is the best word available and commonly understood.
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Ben if any women kung fu instructors used the title simo as a term for female sifu either in the modern or traditional sense in the Chinese community they would be laughed out off Chinatown.
    One reason the term sifu is used by women as martial arts instructors in the past is to put them on par with the men for ability & status not just within the martial arts community but the Chinese community as a whole.
    A simo is just simply the with of the sifu.

I have to agree calling a female sifu, simo is rather odd. She is his wife and is simo in that regard but if she is a sifu she should be called as such. Truthfully it doesn't make much sense to have more than one sifu to a kwoon but I guess I am old fashioned.

Blog Entries
    IN dfw"s defense, the man can do anything he wants within his own martial art organization. According to him, it was done for their students only. Not outside their own group.

otherwise, simo is your sifu's wife. regardless, if the person is your teacher, then it is your sifu. female or not. in reality, there are not that many notable woman sifu's execpt for those like lily and genie lau.

peace
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    ben,

are there classical and modern ways a simo should be or act?

i've never known simo's to be too much involved with the school other than being sifu's wife.

my simo would always knock me on my head if i got out of line, even into my adult years.

peace
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    If woman is the sifu's wife she should be addressed simply as simo because that is the title given to the wife of a sifu.
    If woman is an instructor at the school & she can be addressed as si-jeh which usually means older sister or dai si-jeh oldest sister

Great Grandmaster
    Male Si-Tai-Gung, Female Si-Tai-Poa
    Grandmaster
    Male Si-Gung, Female Si-Poa
    Older Kung Fu Uncle
    Male Si-Bahk Female N/A
    Younger Kung Fu Uncle
    Male Si-Sook, Female N/A
    Teacher/Instructor
    Male Si-Fu, Female Si-Fu
    Oldest Brother/Sister
    Male Di-Si-Hing, Female Di-Si-Jeh
    Older Brother/Sister
    Male Si-Hing, Female Si-Jeh
    Younger Brother/Sister
    Male Si-Dai, Female Si-Mui
    Student Male Toh-Dai, Female Toh-Dai (I‘ve also heard this translated as children)

* Sifu’s wife Si-Mo*