Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KFMers and competition

Well I lost my first sanshou fight on saturday. For the first 45 seconds i had him against the ropes pounding him, then he sprung out with a combo that really hurt me. I was rocked, my defense went out the window, my hands went out the window, what my corner was screaming went out the window, my punches went wide, the ref gave me a staning 8 and I continued. I never recovered in the second round and the ref stopped the fight. The guy that beat me was from Scott Sheeley's Iron Tiger fight team. I am so disappointed with myself. I can't believe I couldn't recover and couldn't do what i do when sparring. I don't know. ]

sanshou

0-1
    *the person who beat me won the division
    Last edited by bodhitree; 10-16-2006 at 10:08 AM. Reason: *
    Bless you

Congrats on competing. I know you learned a lot. As far as forgetiing everything, that's how it is. Getting hit changes a lot of things... it changes everything. That is why I advocate that all MA compete at least once. Better to have the experience you had in the ring, than in the street, right? Learning how to recover and deal with the stress, the adrenaline dump, etc. is all something gained through experience.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I really can't wait to compete in kickboxing again, I will do a grappling tournament on Oct 28
    www.iswa.us
    the iron city tournament, but I am so mad, I love martial arts, I know that I can do good, rrrrggghhhh. I guess I should wait until I graduate in december till I start thinking about kickboxing again.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I really can't wait to compete in kickboxing again, I will do a grappling tournament on Oct 28
    www.iswa.us
    the iron city tournament, but I am so mad, I love martial arts, I know that I can do good, rrrrggghhhh. I guess I should wait until I graduate in december till I start thinking about kickboxing again.
    No need to be mad. the only guys that will never lose are those like dingo983 who never compete. I haven't grappled seriously in a minute, but I've been informed that within the next 6 months or so I will be competing, so I will probably get my arse handed to me when I do. Such is life. I think you've got what I call first loss syndrome. I won my first two kickboxing matches and lost my third. It killed me. Not only because I lost in the first round, but because 1.) I invited all of my friends to watch it and 2.) I know I coulda done better. Eventually i did get over it, and subsequent losses, whether they were judo, bjj or kickboxing really weren't that bad. Just make sure you learn from the process.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Congrats on competing. I know you learned a lot. As far as forgetiing everything, that's how it is. Getting hit changes a lot of things... it changes everything. That is why I advocate that all MA compete at least once. Better to have the experience you had in the ring, than in the street, right? Learning how to recover and deal with the stress, the adrenaline dump, etc. is all something gained through experience.
    Dunno, though. Sparring full contact in MMA, knowing you can't stop for the five mins of the round or even longer if there's no rounds... I get the adrenaline dump, I get the loss of fine skills, I get the fear, I get beaten hard enough to knock me down, sometimes out, many times TKO, and sometimes if the class is busy there's less of a chance of somebody stopping it... plus there's no weight classes (and I will go and have gone against anybody!) and it's really scary against someone with 50+ kilos of muscle and 6" of height over you...

Even semi-full contact with no padding like in kungfu, esp when you know the guy you're sparring with has very little control and he's bigger than you is a world of scariness and pressure because if you do mess it up (and more importantly, he does) you could be going straight to hospital...

Don't really see in some ways that competing's gonna give me so much more.

I'd still like to, just saying.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Generally getting beat up is good for you in more ways then one.

Keep kickin bodhitree, how you train now in the aftermath of this loss is more important then having lost the fight. Just focus on the grappling comp like you said and it will all be well.

You didnt mention the things you did right before you got smacked down.

strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Dunno, though. Sparring full contact in MMA, knowing you can't stop for the five mins of the round or even longer if there's no rounds... I get the adrenaline dump, I get the loss of fine skills, I get the fear, I get beaten hard enough to knock me down, sometimes out, many times TKO, and sometimes if the class is busy there's less of a chance of somebody stopping it... plus there's no weight classes (and I will go and have gone against anybody!) and it's really scary against someone with 50+ kilos of muscle and 6" of height over you...

Even semi-full contact with no padding like in kungfu, esp when you know the guy you're sparring with has very little control and he's bigger than you is a world of scariness and pressure because if you do mess it up (and more importantly, he does) you could be going straight to hospital...

I'd still like to, just saying.
    sparring is...well... sparring. When you spar with someone, even if it is full contact, you usually know the person, as you train with them. The feeling, rush, stresses, etc. are nowhere near the level of fighting someone you don't know, who wants to hurt you and who will not stop, and all the while people are watching. Semi contact is even further removed, regardless of his control level. Once you do it, you'll see.

while sparring, yes, you can stop. I don't know of any class mate who will keep hitting you if you tell them you need to quit. they may not lessen the contact level if you ask, but if you want them to completely stop, they will. Also, class isn't a competitive atmosphere - there is no real motivation for either party to win, as you aren't really testing yourself, you're merely training. There is a world of difference.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post

I get all of that in class. Also, I have competed. There is no comparison between the two - the adrenaline dump and stress of competing is exponentially more powerful than sparring in class.

The fact that you don't really see that competing is gonna give you so much more is because you haven't competed.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

ooooh a bragging thread!

smell the vaniloquence in the palaestra!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Bump.

Proclaim your victories.

Whimper your defeats.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Well it can't be bragging if i do really poorly lol.

I've had probably about 20-30 submission wrestling matches, and have a slight winning ratio, i'd guess that i have a ratio of about .7 winning or something like that.

I've had three amateur MMA matches and lost them all.

** edit **

Forgot to add that i've had probably about 10 TKD matches as well, actually had a pretty good record there, but it hasn't helped me at all lol so i didn't really think of mentioning it at first (plus it was ages ago).
    Last edited by qeySuS; 01-02-2007 at 04:38 AM.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

I guess I'm the odd one out as I really dislike competition. When I'm losing, I don't like it. When I'm winning, no interest.

I'm probably one of the least competative people on this thread. I'm much less competative than Dingo983 and will agree with anyone who says otherwise

I'm not apathetic and I enjoy sparring and hard training and yes, in the past I have competed. Nothing big, just inter-club comps.

That said I do intend to compete in both push hands and lion dance this year.

i entered the kumetia and me, next to frank duxs am the second white man to win it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.