Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The way a sifu presents himself

Accents

When I was in China recentlly my extended family all laughed at me...beacuse I am a GwaiLoh speaking Mandarin with a Cantonese accent..now thats messed up !
    Kune Belay Sau

The Xia, "Uos" "usss" or however you want to spell it is simply meaning to understand. If i say you need to pick me up at eight you could reply "ous" that is if your japanese, its a common slang term.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Wiping your shoes does not remove bacteria or fungus.

I have no problem with people having a dedicated pair of shoes ONLY worn on the mats, but sparring should be done barefooted.
    We don't train on mats, and Sifu insists shoes be worn. I think it just depends on the school and the teacher.
    You don't win silver, you lose gold.

EarthDragon

Thanks for the information on "ussssss".

I'll also add that I agree with TenTigers on that school that does "ussssss" all the time. That is really cheesy. It gives a bad name to TMA.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that what they are saying (or trying to say) is 'osu'. It could be a number of things, especially because these people probably have no knowledge of the japanese language.

It very well could be 'yoshi'. that word is usually dragged out and the 'sh' sound is subtle so it sounds mostly like an 'yoosss'. Yoshi is like 'alright' or 'OK' or some affirmative response to something (a bit difficult to pinpoint its english equivalent). Actually, as much as I hate to bring this up, do you guys remember Mr.Miyogi in the karate kid? If I know what sound your talking about, he did it all the time. It is yosssshi. Osu is usually short an crisp, and not dragged out btw, and I can't imagine that they would be saying it. gaijins

This has been an interesting and thought provoking thread.
    At our school, the we are expected to salute to the instructer at beginning and end of class, and also to each other when partnering for something.
    This shows respect for the teacher and for each other.

Our Sifu is fairly free and easy though and some students call him Sifu while others use his name; he doesn't make an issue of it, unlike some other sifus in our association.

The posters who think that a commercial teacher must take anyone who can pay or go bust are overlooking the fact that if people with bad attitudes (usually the minority) are tolerated, other students are likely to just leave. It's probably worse for the business to lose lots of students because of one idiot, than to ban the idiot and keep the rest.
    We generally find that most of the bully types don't like the free and easy atmosphere and go away by themselves but one person has been banned that I know of.

We only train barefoot when sparring, shoes are compulsory for other classes (because you're unlikely to be barefoot of attacked in the street!) but must not be outdoor shoes for the hygiene and damage to mats reasons already given.

Having found out for myself what can happen to a bare foot just from doing slapkicks I can say it's definitly safer with shoes on!
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer"-- Bruce Graham

I opened my own school two years ago and I must say that the hardest part was learning how to be a teacher.

By that I don't mean how to teach ... in 20 years of CMA I've learned from some excellent teachers and been assistant instructor many times ... but all of a sudden you are the "Master" (that's how most students see you although I define myself as 'instructor' and I ask to be called by name).

Now that takes adjusting to: as assistant to a Master you simply get given a group of people and take them through a technical program, but as the "master" yourself the way you must interact totally changes and it is initially not so simple to find the right mix.

I am learning every day how to be a better teacher, and I think the keys are:
    - friendliness with discipline
    - authority through positive leadership
    - no ego trips
    - competence and honesty
    - clear and true information
    - the right information, not too little nor too much
    - 100% passion and effort in everything, every class, every teaching activity (even if you have the flu, you had a bad day, you have some problems ... you earn your students respect, and gratitude, and fees, and their 100% effort, by you giving them 100% in class)
    - attention and care for everyone equally
    - being a positive motivator
    - traditions without obsessiveness
    - look the part

The last one I find is important especially from a "first impression" point: for teachers of disciplines seen as forms of intense physical and mental training there is really no place for people out of shape. One thing is a 60y.o. shifu with some great young instructors in his school, but a solo teacher younger than 50 in my opinion must "practice what he preaches", and look like it.

Wall
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Quote Originally Posted by wall View Post
    I
    The last one I find is important especially from a "first impression" point: for teachers of disciplines seen as forms of intense physical and mental training there is really no place for people out of shape. One thing is a 60y.o. shifu with some great young instructors in his school, but a solo teacher younger than 50 in my opinion must "practice what he preaches", and look like it.

Wall
    I agree with that. I recently saw a TV program about MA that featured a master that was aroung 300 pounds! A teacher at least must have the appearance of having it together both mentally and physically.

As far as age: I don't think you have to be some ancient chinese guy with a goatee down to his navel to be a good teacher. However, just my personal perference, I prefer instructors over 30. We have this one student in our class who gets really angry when the Master turns over the class to this guy who's 20 year old. He feels that although this guy knows his stuff he's too young to be teaching........

Where I'm at now, a teacher needs to have a skill set that I'm interested in, the ability to teach it and an honest attitude. Also, a positive training environment where egos are either checked at the door or a means to have them checked on the school floor is available.

I will never associate myself again with any organization that has members that are somehow beyond aproach or its members are not willing or able to practice what they teach.

That's it. Where they train, what they wear, what language they speak, what color or planet they are from doesn't matter to me.

As for shoes, I take my shoes off before entering anyone's home... maybe it's a habit I picked up as a kid in karate, but why would I want to drag any **** I picked up on the street, subway, etc., onto someone's floor.... where I prefer to sit and eat as well.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yah, but I don't want yer stank feet on my nice clean carpet either.
    so when you come to visit, I'll throw your food out on the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    yah, but I don't want yer stank feet on my nice clean carpet either.
    so when you come to visit, I'll throw your food out on the driveway.

Which is the reason for "indoor only" sandals, correct?

Which is more dirty, the bottom of shoes, which are rarely (if ever) washed, and walked through all kinds of enviroments,

Or

My feet that have been washed this morning, and put into a clean pair of socks?