Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

TUF Season 4 question

So, on season 4 of TUF when they brought Chuck Lidell in what was that whipping punch he was showing them?

We all know that CMA is useless in the ring so it couldn't have been a cop choy or sow choy right?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    So, on season 4 of TUF when they brought Chuck Lidell in what was that whipping punch he was showing them?

We all know that CMA is useless in the ring so it couldn't have been a cop choy or sow choy right?
    It looked like a gauch (sp) choy. It is thrown from the shoulder in a downward arc across the body and hits with the top of the fist near the thumb. The thumb can be placed on top to aim for the jaw to cause more damage.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

It is also similar to the Russian boxing technique known as casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post

considering that he doesn't train CLF, I can guarantee you that it was none of the above techniques. However, that doesn't mean there isn't a similar one found in other styles. It sounds like you are describing the way some people throw an overhand.

that said, it's the training methods seen in much CMA that prompt people to say it's useless, not it's techniques. A punch is a punch.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    considering that he doesn't train CLF, I can guarantee you that it was none of the above techniques. However, that doesn't mean there isn't a similar one found in other styles. It sounds like you are describing the way some people throw an overhand.

that said, it's the training methods seen in much CMA that prompt people to say it's useless, not it's techniques. A punch is a punch.

I don't get it. If a CMA person uses a punch and it's "real close" to what Chuck Liddel uses, it still sucks because of how they train? So hitting pads, timing drills, and sparring sucks because it's CMA? This is really confusing.

I'm with sihung, if i throw the punch basically tthe same and work on it with pads and timing drills, what difference does it make if i'm a CMA fighter or an MMA fighter? Does CMA by default make it worse training? If that's what you think, i say go and train with a shaolin warrior-monk for a year.
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

TCMA Training methods

The effectiveness of TCMA training methods is proven. Much of it isn't useful for the ring since you wear gloves. It’s useful for the streets though. In the ring, what good are conditioned hands if you can’t use many of the techniques they were conditioned for (such as fu jow)?

cma training methods suck?

which ones?

weak curriculums are a problem, not the methods.
    many methods are exactly the same.

plus, there is no denying that mma type training is setup from the outset to attract more aggresive type people who know that there will be full contact this and that in a relatively short term.

most people in society ain't into that because they don't have that dive but, they still want to learn a martial art. Over time, intention is developed through the methods of cma that will bring about an open door to the fighting spirit that is within the student if it needs to be drawn on. sometimes they win, sometimes they lose.

all martial arts is not mere competitive fighting. there is a lot of it that has little to do with competitiveness. The methods are pretty sound. Please list those methods that are not. And if you choose to state that forms are useless, please denote why exactly you might think they are useless.

otherwise there is sparring, bag work, mitts work etc etc. and even mma has compliant patrner drills when learning a technique's application.

i think a lot of people think and say a lot of things, but not many people get right to it and thoroughly demonstrate what is lacking. Most time that the point is attempted to be proven, the example used is sub par even in mediochre practitioners views.

anyway, feel free to make the list of ineffective tcma training methods. I only have one on my list about why mma training is not always as good.

a) incidence of injury that prohibits optimum training is higher due to to much emphasis placed on contact fighting.

go!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The Bleedin Obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuHung View Post
    I don't get it. If a CMA person uses a punch and it's "real close" to what Chuck Liddel uses, it still sucks because of how they train? So hitting pads, timing drills, and sparring sucks because it's CMA? This is really confusing.
    Obviously Seven is not referring to or addressing the people who do this.

Do we have to go through this again?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

i don't think seven* is saying the methods suck. he said that (other) people say they suck. and its true. ppl who are just looking in and not actually doing it often dont get it. they think its all for show. its not until ppl actually go in and train that they realize the value and effectiveness of the training in TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Obviously Seven is not referring to or addressing the people who do this.

Do we have to go through this again?
    No, there's no point in rehashing the same debate that occurs over and over again. I get the message...there's a lot of CMA that trains poorly, or has completely omitted the martial aspects and that does suck (i.m.o.). But not everyone, and lets not forget that there's crappy mma training too...A thing that will become more and more evident over the next few years as people attempt to cash in on it.

A while back, I purchased the DVD's for the first season of TUF. On the last one, the coaches go over a few of thier favorite techniques. Chuck Liddel shows his whipping overhand. It looked just like a "cup choi" to me, common in many Southern systems. It made me smile to see a good 'ol CMA technique on the list of Chuck's bread and butter moves.

Chuck's a kempo guy as well as all else and naturally has copped some moves outta that to use on the circuit. Kempo borrows heavily from cma.

so , it's chuck's, but the move is in cma.

It is not a traditional western boxing strike anymore than a whipping back hand is.

mma guys, at least the internet warrior types take real offense when you point out where cma has influenced an mma fighters attributes and techs for some reason. It's like they are desperate to be something different.

fighting is fighting. there's nothing in mma that you can't get anywhere else so long as there is an open format for that type of competition.

and yes, we will see a lot worse mma garbage coming around as time goes and people capitalize on all the kips and napoleons out there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuHung View Post
    where did I say the punch sucked?? All I said was that it wasn't a sow choy.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Chuck's a kempo guy as well as all else and naturally has copped some moves outta that to use on the circuit. Kempo borrows heavily from cma.

so , it's chuck's, but the move is in cma.

It is not a traditional western boxing strike anymore than a whipping back hand is.

mma guys, at least the internet warrior types take real offense when you point out where cma has influenced an mma fighters attributes and techs for some reason. It's like they are desperate to be something different.

fighting is fighting. there's nothing in mma that you can't get anywhere else so long as there is an open format for that type of competition.

and yes, we will see a lot worse mma garbage coming around as time goes and people capitalize on all the kips and napoleons out there.
    who's taking offense? I know about his kempo background. But I bet you won't find a technique called sow choy, which is my point. several styles have similar techniques.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    The effectiveness of TCMA training methods is proven. Much of it isn't useful for the ring since you wear gloves. It’s useful for the streets though. In the ring, what good are conditioned hands if you can’t use many of the techniques they were conditioned for (such as fu jow)?
    Oh no.....

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter