Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    cma training methods suck?
    which ones?
    1- Ones that instill thinking along lines like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    The effectiveness of TCMA training methods is proven. Much of it isn't useful for the ring since you wear gloves. It’s useful for the streets though. In the ring, what good are conditioned hands if you can’t use many of the techniques they were conditioned for (such as fu jow)?
    2- Forms, because they have nothing to do with fighting.

3- All the schools that do no sparring.

4- All the schools that do "sparring" with no gear. Sparring with no gear means that you can't go hard enough to get halfway decent.

5- All the practitioners that never spar hard enough to incur injuries. Injuries come with the territory of becomming a good fighter.

6- Ineffective techniques such as backfists that are included in forms and drills but hardly ever actually work against skilled oppoents.

7- Instructors who never fight or spar full force, but have "reputations" of being good, most of whom have never beaten a skilled opponent in their lives.

8- The same instructors who make brainwashed students believe that ineffective techniques are useful by demonstrating them at high force on the students while the students are complying.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-11-2006 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    who's taking offense? I know about his kempo background. But I bet you won't find a technique called sow choy, which is my point. several styles have similar techniques.
    The punch Chuck was throwing is not a sao choi, a Sow Choi is basicaly an extended hook. The punch that he was doing is called a Fon gok or a curved 45% downward punch. Or like you said before an over hand right.

That punch is done quite frequently in CLF but I've also seen Jhon Waine do it in the movies. Who cares what it's called if set up correctly it will knock a muther out.

Oh no.....
    Yes?

(10 character limit is annoying)

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    1- Ones that instill thinking along lines like this:

2- Forms, because they have nothing to do with fighting.

3- All the schools that do no sparring.

4- All the schools that do "sparring" with no gear. Sparring with no gear means that you can't go hard enough to get halfway decent.

5- All the practitioners that never spar hard enough to incur injuries. Injuries come with the territory of becomming a good fighter.

6- Ineffective techniques such as backfists that are included in forms and drills but hardly ever actually work against skilled oppoents.

7- Instructors who never fight or spar full force, but have "reputations" of being good, most of whom have never beaten a skilled opponent in their lives.

8- The same instructors who make brainwashed students believe that ineffective techniques are useful by demonstrating them at high force on the students while the students are complying.
    Once again who cares, lets discuss techniqe not wether it's CMA or MMA that's just counter productive unless youre trolling.

If the rest of this thread is going to turn into a **** a fest well we might as well kill this thread now.

Knife give me a break, come up with knew material every time it's the same thing CMA is not effective, we should all beat the tar out of one another to prove we aren't gay.

Your comments on this forum toward CMA are not objective, there more subjective,, based on your personal interest and prejudices.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    ... lets discuss techniqe
    OK... here are just a few common ones:

1 The backfist- seen in many CMA styles... next to worthless as a fighting technique.

2. The "windmill" flailing arms techniques- seen in Hun Ga and other CMA styles.... very low percentage and will get most practitioners KO'ed against people who know effective and efficient striking techniques.

3. Most of that jumping around like a dying bug cr@p shown on the video clip on your website... again extremely low percentage and next to worthless.

Forms are forms and fighting is fighting what does that have to do with the tech. that Chuck was throwing

OK... here are just a few common ones:

1 The backfist- seen in many CMA styles... next to worthless as a fighting technique.

2. The "windmill" flailing arms techniques- seen in Hun Ga and other CMA styles.... very low percentage and will get most practitioners KO'ed against people who know effective and efficient striking techniques.

3. Most of that jumping around like a dying bug cr@p shown on the video clip on your website... again extremely low percentage and next to worthless.
    Talking snack about kung fu on a kung fu forum....

You have never went up against a true CMAist.

Forms are forms and fighting is fighting
    And therein lies one of the main differences between the majority of CMA and MMA. MMA leaves out the BS things that are unrelated to fighting, such as forms and standing holding stances.

Knifefighter

If you feel TCMA sucks, what are you doing on this forum?

The punch Chuck was throwing is not a sao choi, a Sow Choi is basicaly an extended hook. The punch that he was doing is called a Fon gok or a curved 45% downward punch. Or like you said before an over hand right.

That punch is done quite frequently in CLF but I've also seen Jhon Waine do it in the movies. Who cares what it's called if set up correctly it will knock a muther out.
    an extended hook? I thought it struck with the forearm? Or are you referring to the trajectory.

As for the name - I agree. Like I said in the initial post, a punch is a punch. But if you ask chuck, he won't call it a fon guk. That is what prompted my response. He wasn't using good cma. He was using a good punch. period.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If you feel TCMA sucks, what are you doing on this forum?

1. Ming Yue

2. because we can be

3. because regardless of how we feel about cma, there is some interesting stuff here

4. we don't feel cma itself sucks, just that there is a lot of BS out there. several cma guys here feel the same way.

5. in my case, I was a a cross training CMA guy when I joined here 5 years ago.

6. I am a moderator, so it's my job to be here

7. I still get something of a kick seeing people use the " too deadly" thing when it comes to CMA.

8. it's great talking to the cma guys with experience who know better and consequently don't use the "too deadly" phrase.

9. the training forum here is awesome.

10. Ming Yue.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Talking snack about kung fu on a kung fu forum....

You have never went up against a true CMAist.

He used to train CMA... does that mean his teacher and whole school sucked?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

That punch is done quite frequently in CLF but I've also seen Jhon Waine do it in the movies.
    And John Wayne punching someone in the movies has what to do with whether or not a technique is viable?

Yes?

(10 character limit is annoying)
    7. I still get something of a kick seeing people use the " too deadly" thing when it comes to CMA.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

And John Wayne punching someone in the movies has what to do with whether or not a technique is viable?
    Now you're just being facetious. That wasn't the point of that statement as you are well aware. Stop playing at being an unpleasant little troll.
    As for your assertion that backfists don't work, what a complete joke. I know several martial artists from different backgrounds who've ended fights with backfists of various descriptions.
    As for the windmilling stuff, it works IN CONTEXT. If you stand there and windmill then you're going to get KTFOd, but if you use all of your combat skills and attributes effectively, closing, entering, bridging then it works perfectly well.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk