Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    As for your assertion that backfists don't work, what a complete joke. I know several martial artists from different backgrounds who've ended fights with backfists of various descriptions.
    The only backfist that will even come close to ending a fight is a spinning backfist and that is still a very low percentage tech.

Without the spin added to it, a backfist is just about the weakest and most ineffective strike there is.

As for the windmilling stuff, it works IN CONTEXT.
    "Windmilling" punches are almost as stupid, but at least they can generate power.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-12-2006 at 09:12 AM.

I've actually seen a lot of boxers (and do it myself) turn a missed jab into a backfist or hammerfist. It will land to get you the point, disorient your opponent and make them more vulnerable to more strikes, and makes them think you are faster than you really are. This doesn't look like a backfist, and isn't thrown from way back at the face (like I said it usually starts out as a jab)
    Bless you

Chuck is a great example of how unconventional striking can work. I personally don't think large circluar movements are good for striking, but my old tongbei sifu used to say you have to make things smaller when you are fighting, you exaderate the movement for practice purpose. The best way to see what can work is to practice hard and then to test it. I have tried to use some boxing combos that some swear by and don't land anything and I've made stuff up thats worked really good for me. Test everything then, yes I'll quote Bruce (as much as I don't think he's anything special)
    "keep what is useful, dicard what is useless"
    Bless you

Many moves you see now in kung fu were, back in the day, staple techniques of boxing. Much of what boxers do now was, back in the day, a core part of the kung fu curriculum. They resemble each other too much for one to be branded 'incorrect'.

Having said that, today the average boxer will make short work of the average kung fu player. Different demographics train the respective arts for different reasons, and theres nothing wrong with that. I myself feel kung fu is still very valid as a fighting art, I even feel that (gasp) it contains some material that has been lost in the more sportive arts. However, if you want to make your kung fu effective, you may want to consider sound investment in a pair of boxing gloves.

My Backfist is easily as strong as my right cross.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I've actually seen a lot of boxers (and do it myself) turn a missed jab into a backfist or hammerfist. It will land to get you the point, disorient your opponent and make them more vulnerable to more strikes, and makes them think you are faster than you really are. This doesn't look like a backfist, and isn't thrown from way back at the face (like I said it usually starts out as a jab)
    When have you seen a boxer backfist? the backfist has been illegal in boxing for years. These days, you may have seen a quick second jab after missing, but not a backfist.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    the backfist has been illegal in boxing for years.
    Why is that?

my guess is because the glove has less padding back there. The majority of the padding is on the fist. the backfist is illegal, as is the pivot punch - a spinning backfist - and the bolo punch - which is a diagonal strike done with the bottom of the fist.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    an extended hook? I thought it struck with the forearm? Or are you referring to the trajectory.

As for the name - I agree. Like I said in the initial post, a punch is a punch. But if you ask chuck, he won't call it a fon guk. That is what prompted my response. He wasn't using good cma. He was using a good punch. period.
    Yes I was referring to the trajectory. And did you ask Chuck where he picked it up or what it's called.

Maybe if you ever get to interview chuck that would be an interesting topic. Anyway I agree a good punch is a good punch I'm not disputing wether it's a CMA tech. I was only clarifying what it's called in CMA.

My Backfist is easily as strong as my right cross.
    slower also, most likely. unless you are talking about a snapping backfist, in which case I'd call BS.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    The only backfist that will even come close to ending a fight is a spinning backfist and that is still a very low percentage tech.

Without the spin added to it, a backfist is just about the weakest and most ineffective strike there is.

"Windmilling" punches are almost as stupid, but at least they can generate power.
    A back fist is just like a jab and meant as a distraction to set up a more powerfull tech.

As far as a spin backfist watch Spike TV Mat Serra gets nocked out by one in one of the clips from his past fights or should I say losses.

so much for the backfist argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    A back fist is just like a jab and meant as a distraction to set up a more powerfull tech.

As far as a spin backfist watch Spike TV Mat Serra gets nocked out by one in one of the clips from his past fights or should I say losses.

so much for the backfist argument.

he said in his post that it sucked unless you add a spin to it... you just backed his argument.

Sonny liston was known for having a KO inducing jab, as have several other boxers. I don't know of anyone with a KO inducing snapping backfist, and any other variation would not be a set up...
    Last edited by SevenStar; 10-12-2006 at 11:38 AM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I am not using the "too deadly" excuse.

TCMA can be used without maiming or killing. We have San Shou. However, there are many things you cannot use. I used a Fu Jow as an example. Do you claim Fu Jow is useless?
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-12-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Knifefighter

Did you miss this or are you ignoring the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    If you feel TCMA sucks, what are you doing on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    TCMA can be used without maiming or killing. We have San Shou. However, there are many things you cannot use. I used a Fu Jow as an example. Do you claim Fu Jow is useless?
    actually, yes - initially. in order to have a claw strong enough to rip a tendon, how long does that take? To have the accuracy and presence of mind to do it in a fight, with heightened heart rate and adrenaline rushing, how long does that take? My guess is that no newbie could use it worth anything. palms and fists are great, but the actual claw wouldn't have much use beyond a rake to the eyes.

Later down the line, sure it may have use.

And that has nothing at all to do with the training methods, as I mentioned earlier. That is the main factor. the most conditioned hand on the planet does you no good if you can't use it. That issue though, I can't answer, as I don't know how the fu jow school that would be in question trained. You can't really just assume that fu jow is badass just because it's fu jow...
    Last edited by SevenStar; 10-12-2006 at 12:24 PM.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter