Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Throughout Pregnancy

Smile Training Throughout Pregnancy

Hi there! I am in my 5th month of pregnancy and just looking for other women who have trained or are training during their pregnancy. I would like to compare notes. I am the first woman in my school to train this far into her pregnancy and so far it's going very well! (Of course, I've been abstaining from the grappling and sparring.)

~jo
    21 weeks pregnant and practicing N. Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi
    ~kungfufugirl@hotmail.com

Don't.

As for your tagline, I say you can't.

Is there a doctor at your school? Does your taichi teacher know the specific health benefits of the chikung relating to pregnancy? Did you know there are certain very dangerous pressure points for pregnant women? Certain postures and pressure on certain areas (I'm not talking strikes but again from odd stances) can trigger miscarriage just like that.

CMA were mostly developed by strong men: soldiers, criminals, imperial guards... that's not to say women shouldn't do them but I have spoken to many doctors about this when I've had students and friends get pregnant and they all say it's a big no-no.

Saying 'It's so far so good' is like the guy falling out of a high building. You only need to lose your child once.

You might go full-term without any problems... but what's the alternative? Your baby dies.

My advice is, stop ****ing about and go to prenatal yoga classes. They have 4000 years of experience of teaching pregnant women behind them and it's backed up by modern science too.

Dr Punch.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Just checked your profile. You and your man are instructors and you're still training?!

Another point is you're having your first at 36 right? No offence but that's older than average and also another high risk group.

Don't want to be so negative, but we could be talking about your baby's life here.

A little exercise is good for you and the baby and it will depend exactly on what you're doing but still my feeling is a big fat No.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Hi KungFuGirl,
    The basic rule of thumb with pregnancy and exercise is:
    Any exercise your are familiar with and competent at you can continue,
    exercise that is unfamiliar and 'new', you shouldn't start.

I have had 10 women through my years of running a kung fu school train into the 8th month of pregnancy. My wife, who is an instructor, twice continued her training to the final days of term.

Be smart, as you get bigger take out all the stamps, jumps, and shock producing movements (like bag work) from your forms. "Walking through" your forms is a way of keeping your kung fu 'available', keeping your strength and energy, and will help in delivery when its time to 'open your hips'.

Certain postures and pressure on certain areas (I'm not talking strikes but again from odd stances) can trigger miscarriage just like that.
    From T'ai Chi? Please.....
    Oh wait, there is "White Crane Miscarries Baby from not just Sitting on its A$$ Eating for Two"...

Be Smart, be careful with shock, and you will be fine.
    Good luck with it all.

I would be careful. My wife stoped training external when she became pregnant, but she kept practicing tai chi and qi gong. We found out, pretty quickly, that different breathing patterns can make her sick. It was specific to her and our accupuncturist told us to avoid anything that cultivated yang energy as that would trigger her hyperemesis.

Consult your doctor and, if you have one, your TCM provider too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

why take the risk?

Just my POV
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Wink Thanks Spiralstair!!!

Spiralstair--

Thanks--actually.....I've already taken out all of the stomps and jumps. It seems as though most of those posting don't know much about pregnancy and exercise. I am actually a labor and delivery RN, and chose a doctor, who also happens to be a high risk ob doc (perinatologist), who also happens to be a sensei and owns his own dojo.....so he knows EXACTLY what I am up to. I chose him for those reasons, and because I had worked with him when I worked in High risk L&D/antepartum here in Phoenix. He is a wonderful, cariing, englightened individual who is also remarkably intelligent and concientious about his work. My teacher is a grandmaster who went through 3 years of medical school in his youth, then ditched western med to pursue his doctorate in eastern philosophy and chinese medicine, and has a practice here in Scottsdale, AZ. He teaches both the kung fu and the Tai Chi that I take. So I really have a good support system in place here.....I would just like to hear from other women (or teachers such as yourself) that have had more experience with it.

I am glad to hear you worked with so many women into their eighth month. Studies have shown that maintaining an exercise program throughout pregnancy is actually very beneficial to both mom and baby. Though I have only been doing MA for 2 years, I have been exercising and participating in sports all my life, and in addition to being an RN, I am also a doula, and certified childbirth educator. I knew right away to modify my workouts to make them low-impact, so I pretty much do the same exercises everyone else is doing, except I keep at least one foot on the ground at all times, and if I find my pulse rate going a little to high, I sit one exercise out and do some stretching.

If you are still in contact with any of those women who trained throughout their pregnancies, I would love to hear from them! I would hate to think I am all that unusual!
    ~kungfufugirl@hotmail.com

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuFuGirl View Post
    It seems as though most of those posting don't know much about pregnancy and exercise.
    Thank you for the indirect reference! It seems I don't, but I was going on the advice of doctors I've spoken to as a teacher and other teachers. It seems my information was plain worng or outdated.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFFG
    I am actually a labor and delivery RN, and chose a doctor, who also happens to be a high risk ob doc (perinatologist), who also happens to be a sensei and owns his own dojo.....so he knows EXACTLY what I am up to. I chose him for those reasons, and because I had worked with him when I worked in High risk L&D/antepartum here in Phoenix. He is a wonderful, cariing, englightened individual who is also remarkably intelligent and concientious about his work. My teacher is a grandmaster who went through 3 years of medical school in his youth, then ditched western med to pursue his doctorate in eastern philosophy and chinese medicine, and has a practice here in Scottsdale, AZ. He teaches both the kung fu and the Tai Chi that I take. So I really have a good support system in place here...
    Fantastic!!! What a great experience!

I find it interesting that so many guys are giving advice about this subject!

remember, it is more important to train after you pregnancy as you can teach your kid! My father is the first person to get me into martial arts, it is a wonderful family tradition!!!
    Bless you

one of my coworkers is training wushu and taiji from a chinese woman who owns a school here. She's 5 months pregnant and her teacher will not let her train wushu anymore. She only lets her train the taiji.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

KungFuGirl,
    You sound like you'd know this already, but 3 important points are;

After 6 months no exercises lying on your back that stress the abs (like crunches); these can interrupt the proper flow of blood to the fetus

Be careful not to overheat, that's why they say no hot baths for pregnant women, so you must be aware of your internal temperature, and keep it cool

Definately back off from stretches that 'work the hips', the hormone Relaxin that is released during pregnancy will be already loosening your ligaments and tendons around your pelvis and it is possible to overstretch them, and they don't 'go back'. Same caution with your low stances, the Relaxin makes the ankles and knees a little 'less tight', so not so low is the answer.

Otherwise enjoy having truly 'centered' movement as you get bigger, especially for T'ai Chi, the big belly makes it all flow through the middle.

Personally I think that the only advice that you should actually take from this board is mine.

That is:

If you trust your doctor ask him/her about this and follow their recommendations.

She wasn't looking for advice, she was looking for people who'd experienced the same thing.

I already made a big enough ass out of myself on this thread. You going for the title?!

I wouldn't do anything jarring, like twisting and punching hard in the air. Not that you need advice but for anyone else that might be reading this. Also, I believe that after a certain age all pregnancies are considered high-risk. It is important to look at the studies and subjects of the studies carefully, sounds like you are referring to a study that is way more general than your specific situation.

-not a woman but married to one