Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training Throughout Pregnancy

I know I'm being a d!ck but we met two Labor & Delivery RNs who miscarried, and one of them, in her mid 20's, it seemed was trying to work all the way through the pregnancy (she miscarried after 3 or 4 months, and nurses work like crazy on their feet). She was right back to work a week later, too. Not a study, an anecdote.

OTOH I saw a young lady working out vigorously in the gym recently who had to be at least 8 months pregnant.

This is a sensitive subject for me since my wife suffered from incompetent cervix. We had a happy ending once the docs figured out what the problem was.

Well, I know I was a bit of a presumptious mislead ass, especially given the information and experience the OP has, but I still wouldn7t recommend it to anyone without top-notch advice from a doctor.

I'm in Japan, and god knows it's hard enough finding even just good basic exercise advice from supposedly pro-gym instructors and fight instructors, and there seem to be NO lateral studies between disciplines like maternity healthcare workers and exercise pros.

So unless you have the kind of advice available that KungFuFuGirl has, I'd be leaning heavily towards Fa-jing's cautiousness.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by fa_jing View Post
    I know I'm being a d!ck but we met two Labor & Delivery RNs who miscarried, and one of them, in her mid 20's, it seemed was trying to work all the way through the pregnancy (she miscarried after 3 or 4 months, and nurses work like crazy on their feet). She was right back to work a week later, too. Not a study, an anecdote.

OTOH I saw a young lady working out vigorously in the gym recently who had to be at least 8 months pregnant.

This is a sensitive subject for me since my wife suffered from incompetent cervix. We had a happy ending once the docs figured out what the problem was.
    From a TCM perspective, if the Kidney energy is strong, mild workouts should not be a problem. I like the idea of some Pre-Natal Yoga where they take it easy and stretch out some of the tendons/muscles for labour.

If the Kidney energy is weak, then miscarriage can happen. It can be a sensitive subject, however, from my Chinese Medical background - vigorous exercise should be avoided and some walking/Yoga a couple times per week keeps the cardiovascular system in check.

All the best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

My wife (at the time) trained all through her pregnancy. We were doing Chung Moo Quan, and back in the day Chng moo was basically an hour long sesion of over training deep stances, and then doing forms all in deep stances, and them more insane bad forms work.

She trained until the 6th month, when they kicked her out, and then she did her own thing after. She walked to work every day as fast as she could till the day she delivered.

My Daughter came out so strong that she was holding her head up at birth. The Nurses there said they had never seen that before.

Before she could walk, she was tumbling. By age 3 she started a hard core olympic bound gymnastics program and went on to take medals in, and trophies in every competition she entered untill she got board of it and swithed to Ice skateing. Now she is looking to do just as good in that venue as well.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Everybody is different. When I was pregnant I was having twins and for that
    reason , as well as other concerns my Dr.'s aked me to not do any form of exercise at all. I was a crazed cardio junkie. So I stopped until I get my post preg OK and it was the hardest thing. I know that in most cases you can always continue what you are already used to. But..ask your Dr.'s...Never take a chance..it is not worth it...my opinion

Good for you KungFuFuGirl!

I actually joined the forums just so I could comment! I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and train in Pai Lum kung fu. I was glad to find a discussion of pregnancy and martial arts training. I plan on training as long as possible. I have already made some modifications- more breaks, careful contact sparring, no jumping, learning how to back down when my first instinct is to push myself to the limit. I told my instructor and the other students as soon as I knew, and everyone has been very supportive. I feel the mental and physical benefits far outweigh the risks. If it was really that easy to cause a miscarriage, the human race never would never have made it this far! Every woman is different, and as long as you listen to your body you will be fine.

I am anxious to hear about your training as your pregnancy continues! Good luck-