Thread: The Lou Reed issue May June 2003

Hybrid View

The Lou Reed issue May June 2003

Back in May June 2003, with one of our more expermental covers, we went with veteran rocker Lou Reed. It raised more than a few eyebrows amongst our readers, but it has risen to become our most high profile cover ever. It appears in the current issue of NME (30 September 2006) on page 5. I'm starting this thread because Lou Reed's work with Taiji is continuing worth collating here.

Here's the original cover story:
    Lou Reed:a Walk on the Wild Side of Tai Chi by Martha Burr
    Here's another article Martha did on Reed:
    Lou Reed: The Taiji Raven Speaks (On Tour 2003)

Reed took the cover picture of AOL CEO Jon Miller (another experimental cover) for our March April 2006 issue. Here's the discussion thread about that issue too.

We also covered Reed's performance with Master Ren Guang-yi at the Olympics in our July August 2006 issue in Martial Arts as Performance Art: From Opera to the Olympics By Stephan Berwick

Reed was also featured in Entertainment Weekly with our got qi shirt. There's a thread on that somewhere, which I'll find later. There were more reprints of that cover too - I'll dig those out as I come across them.

Reed also was a guest of honor at our 10th Anniversary Benefit although he didn't perform. Too bad, that would have sent our benefit DVDs over the top.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Caught Lou Reed's show last night

He played at this intimate little theater in Redwood City, the Fox, of all places. Awesome show. I was very impressed. It was only him, his long-time collaborator Fernando Saunders, and the one and only Rob Wasserman. Gigi and I went as special guests and we had a blast. More to come...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Here's a blog of Reed's Web 2.0 performance

Jonathon Miller, CEO of AOL, introduces Lou Reed last night, calling him a poet, a writer, a musician, and the person who introduced him to his kung-fu mentor. What the?

Lou Reed at the Web 2.0 SummitSo Lou Reed gets on stage with two accompanying musicians, flanked by large video screens zoomed in directly on his weathered face. He begins playing a song to the buttoned down and sitting down Web 2.0 crowd. Meanwhile there’s an audible drone of people talking in the back of the large room.

Between songs Lou looks ****ed, but I think that’s normal. He tells the crowd, “You can keep on talking, I’ve only got 20 minutes. Or I can turn up the music. I can turn it up so loud it will hurt. Do you want me to turn it up? Do you want me to make it hurt?” (rough paraphrase). How awkward.

He’s met with some faint cheering/clapping to turn it up, so over the mike to his sound guy, he growls, “Frank turn it up!” Frank probably thought he was joking. Lou repeats himself once or twice: “Frank, turn it up, Frank turn up the sound!”

The sound gets cranked up, the conversation in the back of the room gets drowned out (or stops). A sense of shock travels through the audience. ****, we ****ed off Lou! People are still sitting. Except for one Tim O’Reilly, who gets up and does his signature West County snake-charmer dance across the auditorium.

By the time he makes his way across the whole room, he’s in front of me and Melanie, so I figure, what the heck, he’s got balls, I might as well stand up. Melanie follows suit, but we’re the only two people standing, clapping, as Tim bounces around the room.

By the time the song ends, the attendees, who are either impressed by Tim’s gall, or Lou’s, finally get off their feet for the rest of the performance, including the song “Sweet Jane.”

At one point Lou muses on his predicament: “Who would have thought it would come to this. I’d be playing at a cyberspace conference, brought here by AOL, introduced by my kung-fu brother.”
    See justinsomnia.org - he's got a vid link too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

One more thing

I found that Lou Reed got qi thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Lou Reed

Here's a video that was sent to us today by one of Lou's classmates under Ren Guangyi, Scott Richman.

Lou Reed Tai Chi Photos set to original music
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Goodnight Mr. Reed

Thanks for the great memories your music is a part of.

My obituary for Mr. Reed (and another meme)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I loved the Lou Reed article!

Purchased the issue and brought it to class to show my Shaolin-Do Sensei. Asked him to explain Chen style Tai Chi to me - he did so, and then said 'It looks kind of like this" - and went into a flawless demonstration of same. My jaw dropped.
    Lou Reed's wry sense of humor shows here!