Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vid Clip

Vid Clip

So, I'm starting to mess around with You Tube, while cataloging my competition videos.

I've got a couple posted right now. A couple of Judo matches. The below link is probably the most interesting one. The other guy was French - and a black belt.

He was SUPER ****ed about losing to a white belt.... He smelled like stale cigarettes and wine, incidentally - no joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJnXSwq1ARA
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I just got a video not available message.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Nice versatility! Doubles, inside trip attempts, flying armbar, and a big hip throw to finish.

I always thought you weren't allowed to put a knee down when shooting a double in judo.

Also, someone might get a little confused about the ending switch to you and ap boxing.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Harai Goshi

Thursday in class, we were working throws and I was working Uchis Mata's. Coach caught me doing a bad one and said, "Larry, that was one of the worst Uchi mata's I've ever seen. But it was an absolutely beautiful Harai Goshi." lol @ me.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Fatherdog, that was actually his flying armbar attempt. Yeah, I think I did mention the "oops" boxing part in the comments somewhere, LOL.

I should clarify - I'm a white belt in Judo, but I've got 6 years or something of BJJ, and four seasons of wrestling, soooo...

WD, I was actually going for Tai Otoshi....but I missed the ground.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Time for me to show my very large amount of ignorance but how are the pairings done, by rank or by weight? Are you wearing your BJJ rank in the ring?

I was going to ask what Tai Otoshi is but I found that info through the magic of Wiki and youtube.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I have a video or two saved that you posted a couple years ago of some BJJ comp, I think you had a blue belt in those days. I think that ap boxing footage (or someof it) was posted on ap's website for a short period years ago.

What is up with the knees touching the ground in Judo? Is it like, one knee can touch as part of an offensive throw?

rogue, dont forget judoinfo.com
    strike!

Rogue, in Judo there are two belt divisions and several weight classes in each weight division. I would never wear my BJJ rank into a Judo tournament. That is disrespectful in the extreme, and probably disallowed by Judo rules. Jimmy Takemori would definitely have reamed me a new *******, and the Takai brothers who run the University of Maryland Judo Club probably would have too. Nice guys, but definitely competitive, and Takemori does NOT like BJJ guys showing up to Judo tournaments. I don't consider myself the typical BJJ guy at a Judo tournament though. I'm not there to slap armbars on people while pulling guard. I'm there to try and win in a more Judo-y way, which I think the videos demonstrate.

The belt ranks go from white belt to 2nd brown, then 1st brown to black. At that tournament, I competed in both divisions. I had around 8 matches that day, mostly back to back, where I was running from one mat to the next, non-stop. I viewed Judo tournaments as a way for me to get some stand-up grappling in, while just gutting out the cardio beat-down I recieve. The rules are designed to minimize stalling - the clock is always running and defensive grips and posturing will result in a penalty called very quickly. Four penalities will get you DQ'd. Judo feels like a single-minded game of attack, attack, attack to me. Since my preferred mode of operation is more of a counter-fighter, it's good for me to be in a situation that forces me to assault, rather than counter - or if I DO counter, to be forced to REACT, vice think about it.

In most top level Judo tournaments, they require you to show up with two gis - one blue, one white. As this was the State Open, what they had were a bunch of belts, either blue or white. One guy was blue, one guy was white.

I wound up taking 2nd in my weight class in the 2nd brown and under (5 matches in total). I was late turning out of a throw attempt by the eventual winner, I couldn't quite throw him cleanly, and he was a blue belt in BJJ as well, so I couldn't salvage the situation by just slapping a quick submission on him.

I was a DNF in the Black belt division. I won two and lost one, I think, and was in the repechage (consolation bracket) when I got launched and my shoulder dislocated upon landing...which led to surgery...

Oh, and yenhoi, the knees can absolutely touch in Judo throws. What dicates the value of the throw is getting the guy's feet off the ground and getting him to go down either flat on his back or in a continuous roll across the shoulder blades. That would be an automatic win, called an Ippon.

Anything else results in a partial score.

So if you were to use a wrestler style shot, then elevate, stand up and turn the guy completely to his back, you should definitely get the score.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 10-15-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Incidentally, here is the other one I posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF6OZiMLMsk

I actually popped this kid's arm, but he told me later "I'm not much for tapping." That struck me as stupid, so I attacked the same arm in our match to determine the 2nd and 3rd place finishers in the brown and below division. I was exhausted and didn't want to play since I knew I had a black belt match coming up in a few minutes, so I semi-flying armbarred him in about 10 seconds.

Strangely, he tapped.

The funny part though was as I was walking off the mat, his coach said to him "We're going to work on getting out of armbars." It wasn't what he said, it was the way he said it. It was like "dude, you REALLY suck at that, and we've GOT to fix it."

excellent side control in the second clip.

it looked like you were using more bjj (in close, in tight) than judo and perhaps the dude was not used to that way of doing it?

the second clip was more entertaining. It looked more evenly matched. The first one looked like you had a good 20 pounds on the guy, which in grappling makes a huge difference.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Osaekomi - pinning - is an exceedingly common form of winning in Judo, and all good Judoka bust their asses to get out of a pin. You have 25 seconds to get out, I think.

I don't know that that pin is "BJJ." Good pinning is good pinning. *shrug* Perhaps his school or he himself was unused to somebody trying to win by Osaekomi. I've been to several judo classes where that exact pin was taught.

I will say that I think a lot of Judoka are unused to people instantly attacking the newaza when you hit the mat. But if you watch the international level guys you see that alot (hit the mat, boom into newaza). Might be the difference in mindset between hobbyist-competitors and guys trying to make their bones. Not sure about the Judo World.

In the first clip, I may have had a few pounds on him, but we were all in the same weight class - around 185 or so. Maybe he bumped up or something. He certainly didn't FEEL light

And here are a couple more vid clips

The interweb are more funner than before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw6vS5ico6o

The above link is to a clip where I basically had my ass handed to me. Great Makikomi throws and good Judo-rules style defense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKWvA9tWrCA

This is a short clip with an armbar at the end of it. Nothing fancy here. From the looks of it, this was later in the day and I needed to resort to nefarious BJJ tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    I will say that I think a lot of Judoka are unused to people instantly attacking the newaza when you hit the mat. But if you watch the international level guys you see that alot (hit the mat, boom into newaza). Might be the difference in mindset between hobbyist-competitors and guys trying to make their bones. Not sure about the Judo World.

My experience has been just the opposite. I've found the Judo ground game a little quicker and more explosive. I think it has to do with the rules. BJJ seems to be a little more relaxed and patient than Judo on the ground. A Judo ground game will get you gassed in BJJ.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

WD,

No I agree with you.

I really didn't articulate my thoughts well. Under Judo rules, weathering the storm is all that's really required to earn a stand-up....

Heck, maybe I just didn't think what I was saying through at all.

The pace of Judo newaza is simply sick and will gas you in a BJJ match, no doubt. That has absolutely been my experience as well. I think though, that a lot of guys, after the throw, DON'T attack the newaza as hard as they could because of the rules.

Like after makikomi throws for instance, you don't see a lot of guys turn back in for the pin. They belly or turtle down.

If judoka do attack the newaza, it's balls out though.