Thread: Get Together in Akron, Ohio

Get Together in Akron, Ohio

This has been a very nice weekend filled with martial arts fun and learning. It started Friday night when Sifu Jim Smyer and Sifu Brian Bateman joined us at Sifu Biggie's school in Akron, Ohio.
    Jim arrived at the school first where Mike and I were there to greet him. After a time of fellowship, Jim taught Mike and I the Pong Lai version of the two-person set "Little Four Hands". While Mike visited the local donut shop to pick up some coffee for us, Jim taught me five basic hand drills from the Pong Lai system. They are a very nice addition to my training drills.
    Around six o'clock Brian arrived from New York after battling the effects of an intense snow storm (route I-90 was closed between Buffalo, N.Y. and part of Pennsylvania). We all chatted for a while, then Mike treated us to a nice supper at the local Golden Corral.
    After supper we returned to the Akron school and where we were met by a few of my fellow classmates. Once introductions had been made Sifu Bateman began teaching us the Chiu Chi Man version of Baak Yuan Tou Toe (White Ape Steals the Peach). This set is completely different from the Wong Hon Fan set of the same name. The WHF set is usually taught at the beginner level, while the CCM set is taught at the intermediate level.
    Sifu Bateman taught the set with applications. After about an hour we were all able to perform the set from memory and had a fairly good understanding of the applications involved. Sifu Bateman even demonstrated a "monkey leg art" application of one of the moves in the set that was exactly the same as one found in the Monkey style Kung Fu system that I teach. So, yes Virginia there is Monkey leg art in PM.
    After a great evening of workouts, Sifu Bateman presented Sifu Smyer and myself with banners from the Rochester Shaolin Kung Fu Training Academy to hang in our kwoons. Then group and individual pictures were taken and I headed home.
    Wow! What a great time with two very nice and knowledgeable instructors!

Yushan made it over to my part of the county as well.

He has a lot of great information.

I had learned the tan tui sets years ago. It was very similar to what he was taught. But, the real gem was that he was able to show me the fighting side to a few of these sets. I never heard of that before but man they are great!

We also went over he little four hands. Yes again another great form with the fighting taught along with it.

He was able to breifly go over some of what was called "leaking hands". Fantastic stuff.

Some of the best material I have come accross and it was just entry level.

I hope to make it to TN soon.

If you ever get a chance to train with Yushan dont pass up the opportunuty. He has been blessed with some very knowledgable teachers.

Mantid1,
    Perhaps you and Yu Shan could meet part way and stop in at my place in North Canton, Ohio some time. I think we could all get a good workout in.
    The "leaking hand" drills were nice. Yu Shan has arms of steel. Mine felt like putty after the drills.
    Richard

Is Sifu Biggie's school in Akron the one located off of Canton road near the Auto Zone?

Yup! Thats the one.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thanks, I was wondering because it's right down the road from my house.

You will not find better Mantis in Ohio! I HIGHLY suggest checking him out if you are interested.
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Hello Richard,
    Ohio was a good time. It was nice to meet you and YuShan and the rest of Mikes students. Would have been nice to have a little more time to train... Better some than none I guess.
    I was pretty impressed with the Tournament. What great Sportsmanship by all the competitor's. Like YuShan said... We had the best seats in the house.
    Thanks again for the hospitality... I had a great time.

Brian
    "If you don't get it from yourself where will you go for it?"

Akron: martial arts mecca

I always seem to have a good time when I visit this area. Mike Biggie is a gracious host, thanks for having me by the school for a little fun. There is a positive atmosphere in Mikes school, very refreshing.

It was especially nice to finally meet Shifu Brian Bateman. A very nice guy and down to earth. I liked the way he taught the form, made it interesting, and of course included applications. I look forward to visiting Brian and his Teacher when he comes in. Lets hope in the spring time.

And as for Mantid1, I dont know what is the best part about visiting him, the training, or his wifes cooking. Liked mentioned, we covered some of the tan tui with the ling side, an entry level form with the ling. The ling side of this little set can really get going, and to what extent you want to take it, you can beat the sh*t out of each other. We shared application ideas and he helped me with the "large sweeper". Thanks for sharing a peek at your video archives of the old days. Watching these old videos really pumped me up and let me know there is hope for us old guys. Mantid1 has been blessed with excellant teachers and it shows. I had my pic taken with two of Mantids personal bodyguards, maybe he could post them.

Mantid & Mooying, anytime you guys would like to make a road trip our door is open. Come on down to middle Tennessee. I would like to return the favor. We would like to host anyone who would like to come in.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Take him up on it! Jim is an awesome host and Nashville is a great city. I hope someday to be able to come back!
    Cheers
    Jake
    Jake Burroughs
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com

Thanks Jake

It was a pleasure having you in, seems like a long time ago huh. We all had a great time that weekend. Hey Jake, what about that "horse cutter"!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Brian,
    We really enjoyed having you! A few of us met before class Monday night and went over the form again. I was amazed that you were able to teach us a nearly 40 movement form plus applications in such a short time. It speaks volumes about your teaching ability. We appreciated your patience and thoroughness.

Yu Shan,
    I will be taking you up on your offer. My grandfather was from Tennessee and I have always wanted to visit the state. Training with you again will be just the motivating factor that I need to head down thata way.

Yushan

The students loved some of the little drills we went over. They are great!

Ill try to post a link to the pic of you with the body guards. We will see if it works.

Ill leave them at home when I come to TN. That way you wont have to watch your back when we do two person drills

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oc/Jimpups.jpg