Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Story behind the warrior pose

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    I still haven't learn the terminology (poems) to my northern shaolin sets but I do know the name of the move Gene poses in above....

we simply call it "Da Fu Sai" or "Strike Tiger Pose" which is essentially the same name as Sifu Tony Chen except with "Wu Song" taken out. I believe Wu Song is a character from the Water Margin stories...famous for killing a tiger, revening his brother...stuff like that.

One question though...

does the move have anything to do with actually hitting a tiger or is it just a fancy poetic name? (i.e. with historical/fantasy like references?)

i think it is because the tigers are weak in the neck area thats why where you strike it is near the neck area

Tigers are weak in the neck area? Their necks always looked pretty solid to me.

Don't fight a tiger, please. You will die.

just a thought =P isn't the neck normaly a weak area?

Quote Originally Posted by NShaolin View Post
    just a thought =P isn't the neck normaly a weak area?
    everywhere is a weak area when a man goes hand to hand with a tiger

lmao.

tigers have weak necks. that is rich.

__________________________________________________ _

nevermind the pain in the neck

Check out my new article: Strike Like Thunder - Hard as a Diamond: The Myth Behind “Hero Sits on the Mountain” in our 2007 November/December: Shaolin Special, inspired somewhat by this thread (although I'd been kicking around the idea for some time now).
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The posture has always been associated with the Tiger.

As far as Shaolin, I traced this posture back to "Stride or Ride the Tiger - Kua or Zuo Hu" posture in Shaolin sets that are orally (and in the copied pre-1925 Shaolin manuals) dated to the Song dynasty, as seen in Hong Quan.

I traced it further back to the Ape-Monkey / Yuan-Hou Quan, to a posture called "Hungry Tiger - E' Hu Shi". Done with open palms instead of fists, as if warding off an overhead strike and a side kick from an opponent.
    Very similar posture in the set is called "Ape-Monkey Shrinks (restrains) Body - Yuan-Hou Shu Shen".

Also, the one legged version is seen in the ancient Shaolin Xin Yi Ba, called "Ti Ba Zai Chuoi - Lift Grasp (hold) Planting Hammer".

Further back still it the one legged version is tiger energy based as well in the Rou Quan and is called "Luohan Bears the Banner".

Further back even than that the posture is a common double-sword posture.

-------------------------------------------------
    The furthest back (set-wise at least, meaning a set that existed before another set) that I could trace "Luohan or Jingang Pounds the Mortar" was a posture called "Press Down Hand and Shrink Body - Ya Shou Su Shen", in this same Ape-Monkey Quan.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 10-02-2007 at 10:09 PM.