Thread: ch'ang stylist says hello

wu_de36 Guest

ch'ang stylist says hello

Hi all,

New to the forum, and I thought I'd make my first post in the TJQ forum.

I primarily study Tang Soo Do, but I've been studying Ch'ang Modified for about 2 years. I have a long way to go, but I find the applications interesting, as well as the rooting benefits of Tai Chi. I think it's helped my understanding of the more circular and yielding aspects of Tang Soo Do.

I was curious as to what people here thought of the Ch'ang style. I'm not sure how "deep" it is compared to other styles. I've yet to see a sword or staff form, or anything else. I don't know if this is due to Ch'ang passing away before he could teach anyone.. However, in Columbus, Ohio it seems to be one of the more appealing schools to learn from.

I hope I'm not starting a "my style is better than your style" flame war.. I'm just looking for some different perspectives. Ch'ang style isn't something I've seen a lot of writing on.

I don't do the Shuai Chiou, so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on.

...tm

count Guest
    We'll, I don't study Chang style, but hello just the same. ;) And welcome to the forums.

Count

Kabooom.com

Chi Kung International

dwid Guest

Hi Tom

Nice to see you on the Forums

wu_de36 Guest

wow.

Hey Mike... haven't seen you around in awhile. Are you still doing the pa kua?

dwid Guest
    Yeah, I'm still at it. I'm in a helluva funk though. I had to have surgery, so I couldn't do much besides qigong for like 2 months. Now, I'm fighting atrophied muscles everytime I can fight the humidity enough to practice. It'll be months before I'm back to the shape I was before surgery.

Do you practice Chang style with the guy at Tuttle Park? How is it? I hear he doesn't really do the cannon fist form.. or is it that he doesn't show it until people have been training with him for a while?

Anyway, if you want to continue this discussion off-forum, e-mail me... tichy.1@- you know the rest - same as yours.

Water Dragon Guest

******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the Hell did Columbus, OH get so much good ????? :mad:

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

MonkeySlap Too Guest

OSU...

A huge number of legitimate masters went to OSU for graduate studies...Shuai Chiao, Baji, Long Fist...really amazing that Columbus got all that good stuff.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

brassmonkey Guest

Wu De

" don't do the Shuai Chiou, so I'm not sure what I'm missing out on."
    As far as I know Cha'ng's style of TCC uses the yielding of Yang TCC and the attacking of Baoding Shuai Chiao, if memory serves me correct I'd heard that all the TCC students at the Police Academy Ch'ang taught at were required to take Shuai Chiao also to help understand the TCC so it might serve you to also do the Shuai Chiao.

unclaimed effort Guest
    Hi, nice to have another person hanging around the internal section.

wu_de36 Guest
    Ohio State is pretty lucky to have a lot of well-respected instructors.

At last count, I believe there were 20 martial arts clubs on campus that were officially recognized by the University. Shotokan, Isshin-Ryu, TKD, Tang Soo Do, Judo, JuJitsu, Shuai Chiao, Escrima, Kendo/Iaido just to name a few.

Sadly, the CMA are the least represented, but have some excellent instruction. The Shuai Chiao club was founded by Chi-Hsu Weng, a student of Ch'ang Tung-sheng. Dr. Weng also began the OSU physEd classes in Shuai Chiao and T'ai Chi.

The t'ai chi club is currently taught by a fellow from the Wah Lum school, a student of Jeff Nayers. A very nice guy to talk to. I hope he gets more students.

That's all for CMA on campus. I find that somewhat shocking due to the fairly high percentage of Asian folks at OSU. I know, they're not all there to show off their Gong Fu:)

Bit of a rant, but that's the scene at OSU these days. Someone was working on bringing a wushu club to campus, but didn't have the teaching experience to pull it all together from what I heard.

..tm

Brad Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Someone was working on bringing a wushu club to campus, but didn't have the teaching experience to pull it all together from what I heard. [/quote]
    That was probably my classmate. We're going to try again soon now that our teacher is moved into Columbus. He been studying CMA for over 50 years. Other than wushu, he also knows traditional Taiji, Baji, Bagua, Xingyi, Mizong, and other things.
    :)

wu_de36 Guest
    Brad,

Now that is an interesting development. It would be nice to see something different at OSU.

Glad to see there's a few more people in here from Columbus.

unclaimed effort Guest
    Your school is so lucky.