Thread: Chen vs Yangs taiji ball / sphere

Chen vs Yangs taiji ball / sphere

Taiji Bob, Dr John, Scott,

Anyone here know if there is a difference between these 2 arts sphere training as well theories behind the spheres? Who was doing the sphere before who also has anyone redevelop there sphere for better purposes of there art?

regards
    Garry

I haven't learned any Chen yet.....so I am curious to see what others have to say....

Greetings..

I have no direct insights or information as to lineages of Taiji Ball training, either Chen or Yang.. i have trained with both.. Chen seems more strength related, yet it has some very useful QiGong sets.. Yang, as presented by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, is designed to develop principles and eventually phase out the use of the ball and return to empty-hand training, similar to silk-reeling..

I hosted Dr. Yang's Taiji Ball work-shop last January here in Central Florida, and we will continue again this January.. The training has been very beneficial, especially in coordinating the breath with movement.. The 8" diameter Cherry-wood ball i use weighs 5.4 lbs., and, after 6 hours of training with Dr. Yang seems like it weighs 40 lbs.. My daily work with the ball runs about 30-45 minutes and i find it has greatly enhanced sensitivity and my expressions of Peng..

My Chen training was minimal but the obvious focus was on a more external development of coordinated strength.. and, i have no issues with that type of training as long as it is in its proper perspective.. it has good benefits and shouldn't hurt progress as long as it is balanced with internal work, as well..

Both styles of Taiji Ball training are good and shouldn't be compared to the detriment of either.. in the end, it will be the student's intentions that determine how useful the training is.. even someone with only 3 or more years of Taiji experience under a qualified instructor will very likely "intuit" the benefits of this training..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Thank you for responding.....I am a complete newbie when it comes to Tai Chi, obviously....I have learned some chi gong......and for my internal training, Yang Classic 24 forms, first two parts of Pau Kua classic eight moves and push hands...I see some Tai Chi Ball in my future...... ....thank you for introducing this new tool to me.....now I must explore it....

Thanks Bob,

In YKM we have different shape and weight as well types of balls which is used for many things also. Some for strength puposes including the chi and harmonies, some for dragon body and flexible power, rolling similar to reeling silk, stretching as well!

Thanks again
    Garry