Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1986 NHB Sparring

1986 NHB Sparring

Anyone know where I could get the full length version of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvbIDwdA7Y8

Or the 1957 Taiwan one with Wong Sheung Leung?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

nice clip. Notice how much grappling was seen, and how most of the high kicks resulted in someone getting dumped...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yeah tere is a long version of it.

keep poking about at you tube.

use terms like "lei tai" and "shuai Jiao"

or variations of it.

there's some hamming in there too.

rule is you go down, that's that. or that's what it looks like.
    everyone who got put down lost that round.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    nice clip. Notice how much grappling was seen, and how most of the high kicks resulted in someone getting dumped...
    Yes we noticed, there is lots of that stuff in CMA. Notice also the very first kick KOed the guy cold.

Notice the monkey sweep delived by the guy in yellow. priceless.

How come nobody like these guys ever entered the UFC back when it was NHB?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

They weren't invited.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    They weren't invited.
    The UFC advertised in the major martial arts publications during the first three UFC's inviting fighters to be in the event.

The reality...

There are a lot of reasons why you didn't see these guys in the UFC, not the least of which is that they live in China, not Los Angeles....

That being said, most would be serverly burdened by SIZE.. old UFC's had no weight classes.

Some would have beaten other TMA'ers.... all would have been utterly confused by something like BJJ. Royce would have tapped them like he did everyone else. It was an approach and techniques that they had never prepared for
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    all would have been utterly confused by something like BJJ. Royce would have tapped them like he did everyone else. It was an approach and techniques that they had never prepared for
    BLASPHEMY!!!!!

but you don't disagree that there probably were some better guys out there for the first few UFC's.... the Russian AFC had guys who did combat sambo, or cross trained and could grapple and strike. The depth of some of the early UFC talent pool was pretty shallow... not that there was some secret death touch master out there waiting to slap a dim mak on Royce. But we would have had some more entertaining matches with some of these guys vs other TMA'ers...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

lkfmdc, are you saying the talent for the earlier UFCs was better than the talent is now, or worse? I'm kind of confused by your wording. I did like the rules better for the first few UFCs, but of course these days the best talent seems to be in PRIDE. But comparing early UFC talent to current UFC talent, I would think most of the guys now other than the champions can be pretty lame. It would be interesting to compare current UFC talent to early UFC talent.

Comparing the talent level at, say, 1-6 to that of the current product is like comparing actual kung fu students with the stories of kung fu masters - one is so far removed from the other, it hardly bears discussion.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    The UFC advertised in the major martial arts publications during the first three UFC's inviting fighters to be in the event.
    Do you actually read every matial arts publication every month? I don't. You must have stacks and stacks of these rags lining the walls.

Even so, what would anyone care at that time to go to some unknown small fry event. It didn't really blossom until later. It wasn't until AFTER the first 3 that people looked up and noticed. I mean really, I would have picked much better people to attend those if I thought the entirety of kung fu's image rode on the backs of those poor retards that went first. Win or lose it would have been a much better show.

Yeah, I'd bet there was a whole population of martial artists in Chicago's Chinatown who never read gong fu mags (and that's just one neighborhood!). Hey, anyone know the word for martial artist or gong fu practitioner in Cantonese? How 'bout Hakka?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    but you don't disagree that there probably were some better guys out there for the first few UFC's.... the Russian AFC had guys who did combat sambo, or cross trained and could grapple and strike. The depth of some of the early UFC talent pool was pretty shallow... not that there was some secret death touch master out there waiting to slap a dim mak on Royce. But we would have had some more entertaining matches with some of these guys vs other TMA'ers...
    Of course there may have been better guys out there.

By the same token, there were hundreds of BJJ black, purple, and brown belts who might have been better than Royce. By Royce's own admission, Rickson was 10 times better than he was.

The fact is that there have been thousands of MMA matches since the first UFC. Kung fu guys have had plenty of chances to deepen the talent pool. Just look at what the wrestler's have done.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-23-2006 at 07:01 AM.