6 8.96%
  • Yes, but its point sparring.

2 2.99%
  • No, we only do forms/sets.

4 5.97%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CMAists, Do you fight?

CMAists, Do you fight?

The question that has been coming up lately is that 90% of CMA schools are crap in america because they don't fight. Is this true? Do you fight? Do you fight with contact? Let us know. Lets get a sense of what you do. This poll is for people in CMA schools. If you don't fight in them either don't reply or answer no.

Post a little something too, keep this poll up on the board.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-25-2006 at 09:25 AM.

I never "fight" but I do spar. Spar with various kinds of protective gear, with a reasonable mindset not to hurt my partner unneccesarily. All stand up, I don't know grappling so I don't mess with anything after throw, trip or knockdown.
    -Jess O

I had my last fight when I was 12. Since then I've ended all threats through selling wolf tickets, playing the tough role, and on the rare occasions none of that work, I'd apologize. So I've been lucky I guess, and the fact that I never look for trouble has to have gone a long way toward keeping me out of fights.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

There's no section for how I 'fight'.

I don't fight in normal sparring situations, so the concept of hard contact, point sparring, etc. doesn't really apply. I do psychiatric interventions. These are in real world environments so there are no rules. I suggest you widen your perspective on how to apply CMA. If you're just looking at sparring, that's pretty limited.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I do Shuai Jiao now I just can't take all the dancing stuff. In Shuai Jiao we spar every lesson. I still practice Tai Chi and Bagua on my own for health and fitness. I love competitive push hands but there just aren't enough people doing it to take it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I don't fight in normal sparring situations, so the concept of hard contact, point sparring, etc. doesn't really apply. I do psychiatric interventions. These are in real world environments so there are no rules. I suggest you widen your perspective on how to apply CMA. If you're just looking at sparring, that's pretty limited.
    Gene-
    Can you give some specific examples of the types of physical altercations that occur in these situations and the specific CMA tactics and/or techniques you are using?

What things have you found to work the best and what things, if any, have you thrown out or evolved for these situations?

I do psychiatric interventions
    Never knew that Gene!

Good training for running this BBS

Cheers
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I'll jump in for just a second, but I can't partiipate in the poll because im not a member of anyones school, however, I have worked door for a couple of places, one more upscale, the other a bit more dreggy.

upscale place required "quiet removal" of unruly patrons. This required methods of control that I got from traditional martial arts. Generally Chin Na type stuff.

the more dreggy joint required a little bit more oomph. Pins, holds and dial the phone stuff sometimes

For EMS guys, they would do well to do restrain and contain drawn from wherever, I think there's a lot of Chin Na techs that are gentle but can provide the level of control required.

same goes for Leos and other like professions. Not that they can't get useful stuff elsewhere, just saying that I think the stuff within trad materials is more than sufficient.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Was for a while there but my body started falling apart. I may post a fight clip from this summer at some point.

FP

Since I can't change my poll questions, why don't you do your admin magic and add the relevant additions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I'll jump in for just a second, but I can't partiipate in the poll because im not a member of anyones school,
    Then just post whether your school, at the time, fought.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Since I can't change my poll questions, why don't you do your admin magic and add the relevant additions.

I tried, but I can't edit your poll, only your post.

FWIW, it's TMA guys that will also tell you that 95% of schools are crap, most likely due to more reasons than just lack of contact sparring - training methods, class length, focus of the classes, etc.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Its also likely they say that because of school rivalry and stylistic bias. thats why I made this poll about contact fighting, not about whether the WC guy thinks the CLF guy is doing right by him.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-25-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Psychiatric interventions are very unique.

Next year will mark my 20th year doing this kind of work. I work at concerts, events and street fairs, places where there are might be high incidences of peple under the influence. This weekend, I'll be working here. I specialize in inteventions with intense psychedelic reactions (IPRs) or what's commonly known as bad drug trips, but mostly what I deal with are belligerent drunks. I described one such encounter in my first Shaolin Tripse-zine column. I've done restraints on every intoxicant imaginable, from the dreaded angel duster, to patients that are clinically psychotic.

Patient scenarios range considerably. Sometimes it's one-on-one, but given our choice, we prefer to outnumber the patient, for obvious reasons. We use a four level protocol for restraint: verbal, physical, mechanical, chemical. What is of most interest to all of you here is physical.

So what works? Ironically, nothing I learned in sparring except the fundamental concepts of distance, timing, and velocity. I can't punch or kick the patient. That just doesn't make sense. No do I use painful restraint holds. I don't even use cuffs, only soft restraints. It's a totally different ball game when you're trying to take down a patient without hurting them. It's a lot more like tai chi, although I hesitate to say I use a lot of these techniques, since I don't really practice tai chi anymore. I do use qinna methods of course. I've also used some of the flowery stuff on occasion to distract the patient. That's pretty rare though, but it has worked, especially when I have a partner or two.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

.......... no wonder......