• Yes, but little contact.

6 8.96%
  • Yes, but its point sparring.

2 2.99%
  • No, we only do forms/sets.

4 5.97%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CMAists, Do you fight?

The point of this poll was to get a general consensus of those that fought at all.

1,2 and 3 are virtually the same for my purposes.

The poll was to see who DIDN'T fight. As we can see so far, many more do than don't.

If you wish you can make your own poll as to the type etc.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-25-2006 at 05:54 PM.

Talking that

was awesome
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    me? I'm just a sell out....
    Oh come now, we'll give you "special dispensation" for the sake of the poll.

All you Lama guys just go and vote yes. We know you fight. Don't be shy.

I hurt somebodies feelings once.

I just fought sanshou, but I'm not normally a cma'ist anymore.
    Bless you

Ok , Ralphie, what CMA do you do? It says BJJ on your profile.

I didn't know BJJ had sets.

Adimins: is there a way to strike joke posters off this poll?

If I remember right, ralphie, like me, used to do CMA. He's likely referring to his past experience. I'm sure he's not joking.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    The point of this poll was to get a general consensus of those that fought at all.

1,2 and 3 are virtually the same for my purposes.

The poll was to see who DIDN'T fight. As we can see so far, many more do than don't.

If you wish you can make your own poll as to the type etc.
    I dunno man... I wouldn't put light contact in the same category, for any purpose. And then, there is the honesty factor. Which give me an idea...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I would also add that what some would regard as light, others may regard as hard and what some may think of as hard and intense might be viewed as light.

Consider that a lot of people that do martial arts are there because they haven't been in a fight, don't know how to fight and want to and so on. ergo, they will not perceive the same things as those people with different experiences.

taking a bell ringer on the chin or a hamfist to the bridge of the nose is not something that happens in many ma classes tma, mma or otherwise.

most times it is medium contact.

full blast ktfo type of stuff isn't common outside of full blown competitions for a couple of reasons. Not the least of which is keeping injury to a minimum so that practice can continue instead of 1 practice session followed by 2 recuperation sessions.

These days, I like to wrestle more or include that range, we don't use elbows on each other, we try not to knee in clinches (except with light contact) and so on.

but we do drill these in mobility drill with the thai pads or time rounds on the heavy bag.
    It doesn't make sense to knock your training partners around so hard that they can't continue regularly.

wear gear! wear your head gear, wear your mouthguard, wear your fingerlesses and wear a cup.

wear shinguards if you haven't roughed those babies up much and go easy on shovel kicks to each others knees, you can screw a guy up pretty bad with a solid kick to the knee.

and respect the tap when you're choking someone or barring the crap out of the arm or leg.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 10-26-2006 at 10:20 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

seriously, no, I mean it, seriously, cut it out, seriously

the poll is a little flawed because if you are training to fight you train with varying degrees of contact... not all hard, not all soft, but a definite mix and cycling

You can wrestle a lot hard than you can box, and box harder than you can clinch and knee... work elbows and it becomes a slow dance... wrestling and bjj can be pretty much real speed, until a submission, and then, if you're smart, you go slow and don't snap anything....

look up some footage of training in Thailand camps, in competition these guys go very hard, in teh camp they almost play

so i can't put just one answer
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Thumbs down There is no flaw......

Leave it to CMAers to make arguements 1000% more complicated than they need to be.

I asked a simple set of questions. They don't have to be absolute. They don't have to be 100% of your training. If anything the questions denote the MAXIMUM of what you fight like.

Have you EVER fought with contact is enough. It doesn't matter that you fight light contact SOMETIMES.

Its REALLY simple people. If you do fight with hard contact say YES. If you NEVER fight with contact you say NO!!!!!

I gave a selection for light contact and for no contact. These are MAXIMUMS!!!

JUST ANSWER THE FRIKKIN QUESTIONS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

JUST ANSWER THE FRIKKIN QUESTIONS !!!
    maybe

when I feel like it

if I feel like it

probably tomorrow....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Question

howz this?

"yeah."

Thank you.

You see people,

Its.......

Not......

That.....

Hard.....