View Poll Results: Are you one of the 95%?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I train at one of the 95% now

1 4.00%
  • I used to train af the 95%

16 64.00%
  • I have never trained at one of the 95%

8 32.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 95 percenters

The 95 percenters

As we've heard said several times on this forum and others, 95% of tma schools teach crap. Who here trains at one of the 95%?

Who has at one time? and if yohu did, please explain the difference between that school and your current one.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

This poll is TRUELY flawed.

That number itself is flawed. Its come up by those in and out of tcma. Those outside TCMA concider it to more like 99.9%. Why? Why not, its all about bashing the next guy anyway. Why bother trying to understand something different when its easier just to poo on it and stay in your own realm.

Those inside TCMA give a high number due to style bias and club pride. "we 'da best" blah blah blah. Of course, most inside will say the guy down the street is no good. He's down the street , competition. Or it will be based purely on style bias were that which is closest to what you yourself do will be held in higher regard.

Thats why I posted a fight poll and not a style poll. Becasue in REALITY its about those whom FIGHT or not.

Oh and BTW, Krotty has 100 times the amount of Mcdojos.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10-26-2006 at 10:59 AM.

one word, FIBER
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I know you make that suggestion from personal experience, viejo.

Talking my old school

was what i like to call diluted hung kune
    the teacher was an lod tkd champion with about 6 months training in hung kune
    the sparring was all tkd
    he had 1 0r 2 good students the rest were ****tards ppl with a fleeting interest in martial arts or 7 year olds
    no one was really dedicated
    www.hungkuen-kungfu.com
    my 2 new schools
    1 is wushu
    master chen de qing
    here there is no ego we just have a dedicated interest in lookin **** cool and keeping fit
    2 valetudo
    there is no ego we go all out as hard as possible with alot of strength training
    i l0ve where i am right now
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    was what i like to call diluted hung kune
    the teacher was an lod tkd champion with about 6 months training in hung kune
    the sparring was all tkd
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K..................

It's not always black and white.

There are some great schools out there as well as ones that are complete and utter crapola. Many schools also have both good and bad aspects.

I've trained at schools that were primarily hands-on apps focused and at schools that were forms focused. Both were very much into competition although in their own respective interests. The apps school trained for full contact ring fighting and the forms school trained for forms competition.

I was never into either one really myself so I have no ring experience or competition trophys. I started training just to kick butt and ended up training just for the enjoyment, health benefits, and an attempt to hang on to my fighting skills later in life.

Basically, the 'kick butt' isn't as important to me now at 52 than it was for me at 22 or even 32. As I've said in the past (although under a different screen name) I train to deal with the low life street crud wannabe fighters that are more likely to cause me trouble than the highly skilled professional fighter.

I do, however, miss banging it up like the old days. Unfortunately, I don't have a school, go to a school, or have any training partners.

Bash away if it makes you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO K..................
    what ? what confuses u he was a guy who tricked me out of my money by teaching me utter crap and claiming he was some sort of master
    if u tried a lesson with him u would understand

again with the "fighting is better"? WHY? just because one doesn't get in a cage or a ring doesn't mean one is incapable of defending oneself. there are MANY people who practice TCMA who are not sport fighters (and i'm sorry if i've offended anyone here, but k-1, ufc, etc. is just that: sport fighting) and MANY who also fight for sport in addition to their TCMA practice. one is not any better than the other. in most sport fighting events, there is an understanding that your opponent is most likely not out to maim or kill you, only win the match. i would imagine that fighting for your life is quite a different animal. and no, i've never been in a fight since i started training TCMA, outside of sparring/push hands in classes. so what? does this mean that i'm getting anything less out of my practice? my answer would be an emphatic NO. i'm getting everything i want out of my practice and more. i sincerely hope that everyone else is, too. i just think it's stupid to argue that those who fight are somehow better martial artists than those who don't. because, in the long run we're all just practicing for our own reasons--and all that REALLY matters is are YOU satisfied with YOUR particular practice???
    thanks for letting me vent. flame away.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Do you really think that someone who trains at a crappy school is going to say they are crappy or even think they are crappy if they are happy with the school?

It would be nice of those who used to train at a crappy school to tell us where and what it was like. Names need not be used.

Ross, what 95% school did you train at, Or was it you were a trainer at?

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    what ? what confuses u he was a guy who tricked me out of my money by teaching me utter crap and claiming he was some sort of master
    if u tried a lesson with him u would understand
    Yeah, you fell for it.

Actually this 95% is just a random number thrown around buy peeps who have an interest in downplaying CMA. It's marketing propaganda, like the claim that 80% of fights go to the ground.

It makes grappling sound like the priority while stand-up is minimized. Personally, I think less than 50% of the fights I've had went to the ground, no matter which one of us brought it there (yes I like to take it down sometimes, especially when dealing with big guys). Most street fights result in some poor slob getting KTFO from a sucker punch or overwelming onslaught he wasn't prepared to handle.

The number could be a bit higher these days though with more interest in grappling and the UFC and such.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post

Ross, what 95% school did you train at, Or was it you were a trainer at?
    I'm old, I've been around a lot

I did Shotokan, the fighting was all point, and the format extremely limited to what they considered shotokan to be, if you threw a spin kick they lost their minds

I worked with a certain short hand CMA style where they didn't all ANY KICKS when you "sparred" and the sparring was like patty cake

Over the years my original TKD school went from full contact to point, and of course, it was still TKD, we didn't spar with hand techniques

I did a few stand up Japanese jujitsu that was all wrist locks and one step sparring

basicly, I wasted as much time as I spent time doing good stuff over the years, thank g'd I'm old and had a little more time
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

sure did

i chalk it up to bad luck and now i have more experience
    so at least he taught me something lol

and i provided the places web adress b4
    www.hungkuen-kungfu.com
    note he doesnt actually state that he knows tkd
    but i am reliably informed
    i used to do tkd and we used to spar with tkd
    Last edited by golden arhat; 10-26-2006 at 11:19 AM.