View Poll Results: Are you one of the 95%?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I train at one of the 95% now

1 4.00%
  • I used to train af the 95%

16 64.00%
  • I have never trained at one of the 95%

8 32.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 95 percenters

You should not degrade Mc Dojo's by placeing Chung moo quan in that catagory.....CMQ is a Cult.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by shuaichiao View Post
    I also trained at a couple of non Chinese style schools. among them were the ultimate mcdojo of Fred Villari's kempo and John C. Kim's chung moo quan. Thank God I had the experience to recognise crap before spending to much time there.
    What's wrong with Fred Villari's Shaolin Kempo?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

My initiation to martial arts occurred under Jor Carson of Carson's Kenpo Karate in Roselle when I was a kid. My dad had taught me some fists and locks from his marine hand-to-hand combat, but I want to learn to break and do forms. Unfortunately Jor had a huge German Shepard that scared the heck out of me, and he started having the dog walking between us barking in the small basement of his home that was his studio, so I enrolled at John C Kim's school of Chung Moo Quan in nearby Schaumburg under instructors Paul and John. I was too young and just a kid so I didn't know what was good and what was B.S., but that was my introduction. I'd have to say the first school that I really felt prepared to do combat by was Simon Lau's school of Wing Chun under sifu Steve Lee Swift, but of course that was more than 20 years ago. I hear the early years of that school produced some good fighters.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    You should not degrade Mc Dojo's by placeing Chung moo quan in that catagory.....CMQ is a Cult.
    My apologies

lol dude dont worry. it was a joke. he wasn't directing that at you.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FuXnDajenariht View Post
    lol dude dont worry. it was a joke. he wasn't directing that at you.
    I know. I was being sarcastic.

for there to be a basis for comparison one must have attended more than one school. That is a big factor here.
    Plus, who doesn't want to think that they attend the best school in town? A problem is that a lot of people make statements like that just sort of from an emotional base rather than from an experience-based perspective.

not that there aren't a lot of crappy schools out there thank imaginary deity that i go to the best school in my town. lol. plus getting some practical scrapping experience in the entertainment industry didn't hurt as a yardstick for abilities. The true litmus test however would be to fight a range of fighters from different traditions and backgrounds, if someone really wanted to 'seek the truth in combat.' <-- my favorite Bruce Lee quote, learn it from the inside, and you will see that he really did know something.

good poll, Sevenstar.

yeah as far as that '80% of fights wind up on the ground' business let's leave that back in the 90's where it came from shall we, along with Hootie and the Blowfish, and Ally McBeal. Maybe in sport cage fighting that is true but unless you count when people fall down KTFO'd on the floor, I haven't found this to be the case and I have at least a dozen non-sport fights in my own direct experience, as an adult, which give lie to this 'statistic.' WTF, does the Nielsen rating company send out a mailer every year soliciting that kind of information? WHo could possibly know that? SOunds like something i Gracie might have voiced at one point but I am speculating. And yes, a gracie could kick my @ss thoroughly and with little effort...but i haven't run into one yet.
    Sort of like the dog brother's trailer.... "When MEN fight, there is always a weapon..." OOOOooooo, i want to be a man too. I had no idea... BE MY TEACHER!!! lmmfao. Or the guys who say, "Yeah, your kung fu don't touch my .44 mag..," upon further questioning it invariably turns out that at that particular moment the weapon is not in the scoffer's possession... "yahhhh, okay. you've got nothing to worry about then, do ya Duke?" So the basis of your self-defense system is that the mere mention of such a powerful engine of destruction will defeat the most threatening brute... 'i guess if it works for you...'

as far as bold statements and 'statistics' such as these, you can't believe everything you read.... "seek the truth in combat." no one can tell you the truth about your fighting ability, you have to learn it on your own.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Another flaw in this poll is the fact that the 12 whom used to train at a 95% school don't train at one now. They train at another, or various, school(s) which aren't in that 95% number either.

When I was a wee lad I took karate lessons at a community center/park. I would say they were in the 95%, but it wasn't Sensei's fault. I mean, when you only take lessons once a week for $3 (keep in mind, this was 1993) and only spar once every 3 months, there's not going to be a lot of quality. Quite a few of the students however, were pretty good despite that. I just didn't have the self-discipline at the time to practice on my own. I could do some pretty kicks, but I couldn't fight at all. I learned this the hard way.

Fast forward to the present day, where I started at 22 years old in MyJhongLawhorn. There is a big difference- first we actually doconditioning, for one thing (I do cardio and some light calisthenics outside of class too, but it is nice to have someone to push you too.) Secondly, we spar every week. Third- one of the senior students took a few years of BJJ when he was living in NY, and is working on a curriculum to teach us- with Sifu's full approval on it. If it REALLY takes off, he'll start working some MMA-style sparring class into it. Finally, unlike in my younger years, I feel I can handle myself pretty well. I can't choke out Royce or Armbar Hughes, or survive a clinch from Pramuk, or... you get the point- but if some random deviant tries to hurt one of my loved ones, I feel I can handle myself well enough to defend them.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Another flaw in this poll is the fact that the 12 whom used to train at a 95% school don't train at one now. They train at another, or various, school(s) which aren't in that 95% number either.
    Another flaw is that it's a poll just of people who A) read KFM and B) respond to polls, which makes it pretty useless as "proof" that 95% of kung fu schools are/aren't crap.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

thank you, punkass

You're welcome, monkey****er.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn