Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GunnedDownAtrocity's Completely Bad Ass Training Log .. WestSide For Skinny *******s

GunnedDownAtrocity's Completely Bad Ass Training Log .. WestSide For Skinny *******s

west side for skinny *******s article on tnation

i started this program about 2 weeks ago and im putting in my initial workouts from another log. from what i understand louie at westside isn't exactly a fan of this program as it uses the WS name without his permission, but it's a good program and exactly what i needed. increased work hours, family obligations, and jiujitsu have forced me to cut lifting back to 3 days per week which is what this called for along with your other athletic training.
    where's my beer?

10/17/06 6:15am

close grip bench

135 x 8, 135 x 5, 155 x 3, 185 x 1, 205 x 1, 210 x 1, 215 x 1 PR

flat dumb bell press

35s x 10, 40s x 12, 12, 10, 9

low cable rows & chest supported rows supper set

lcr 125 x 10 csr 50 x 5

lcr 140 8, 8
    csr 35 8, 5

it was awesome getting a PR, but at this point my work out started going to ****. i still havent gotten used to lifting this early in the morning and i started feeling like i was going to puke. actually i started feeling it after my first superset. i think the fact that i woke up at 5:50 and guzzled down a bananna, a shake consisting of whey, weight gainer, glutamine, creatine, and a large coffee might not have helped. just too much on my stomach before lifting when im not used to it first thing in the morning.

i should have done some decent curls and abs, but i finished up curling 65lbs for 3 sets of about 10 and 8 and then left the gym in a cold sweat and white as a ghost. for tomorrow morning im going to try and wake up around 4 slightly lighter shake ... go back to bed ... and then have a bananna and some tea with honey when i wake up. i know i should wake up a lot sooner before lifting, but im pretty sure thats not gonna happen.

================================================== =====

10/19/06

this is what i had planned for today:

a: dynamic box squats 8 sets of 2

b: step up squats 3 sets of 12

c: reverse hypers 3- 4 sets of 8 - 15

d: neck machine and forearms superset
    (maybe neck machine/harness and shrugs super set ... do forearms seperatley after)

e: abs make up for tues

this is what i ended up doing:

box squats with chains

176 w/ chain 8 or 9 sets of 2

220 w/ chain 8 sets of 2

then i had to stop

i felt great doing the squats ... felt strong .... but i started feeling sick right afterwards so i sopped there. if i had time i woudl have tried to go back at it in 15 mins or so, but by then it was too late so i called it a morning. im hoping i eventually adjust to this or ill have to scratch the mornings which isn't the end of the world, but it makes life more difficult.

i plan on finishing up the rest of my workout tonight, but i might not get the chance until 8pm and im already pretty tired at 10am so well see.[/quote]

i finished up the rest of my workout in the pm.

step up squats

jesus christ these are hard. did them where you step up and bring your stepping leg all the way to your chest ... repeat with same leg 8-12 times before switching legs. i only used 135 but i did 5 or 6 sets of of 10 - 12 reps.

power shrugs

worked my way up to 225 and i felt like jello so i worked my way back down to 135 and muscled them. did about 6 sets all togeather.

reverse hypers

5 sets in 12 range

neck machine superset with forearms

neck in the 12 - 15 rep range, wrist curls with 85lbs sets of 12. after this i did reverse wrist curls with 30 the 25lb dumbells and reverse curls.

abs

hung upside down and did 8 situps, did toe raises to the bar with the clamps still on calves, went right into reg leg raises, and frog kicks. took clamps off and did 2 or 3 more sets of leg raises to bar + raises past 90 degrees + frog kicks.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 10-27-2006 at 07:43 AM.
    where's my beer?

10/21/06

a: 2-3-4 board press:

one set with 115 then two sets with 135

b: chest supported rows / seated dumbbell power cleans superset

csr - 45 x 8,8,8
    sdpc - 15 x 15; 20 x 12; 15 x 12

c: dumbbell shoulder press:

35 x 8; 25 x 10, 10; 15 x 15

d: barbell curl / skull crusher superset

bc - 65 x 10, 8, 8
    sk - 65 x 8, 8, 7

e: abs

hanging crunches, leg raises to bar, leg raises past 90 degrees, and frog kicks ... not too many reps of each do to fatigue
    where's my beer?

10/24/06

A. Incline barbell bench
    95x8 135 x 5, 155 x 3, 165 x 2, 185 x miss

B. Incline dumbbell bench press
    40s x 8, 50s x 8, 70s x 0, 55s x 7, 55s x 5

C. DB Rows + Side Delt Raises Superset
    db - rowes 55s x 8, 70s x 8, 8, 8
    sdr - 15 x 10, 8 , 8 ,8

D. Hammer curls
    35s x 8, 8, 5
    25s x 8, 7

E. Abdominal circuit
    toes raises to bar, toe raises past 90 degrees, frog kicks superset ... 2 or 3 cycles

F. dips
    15, 8, 8
    holding 15lb db x 8, 8

(i may have only done one set of 8 with the bodyweight dips ...cant remember for sure now)
    where's my beer?

10/26/06
    2 PRs for dead

a. box squats
    225+chains - 8 sets of 2 for speed

b. dead lift
    old PR 315
    225 x 5, 275 x 3, 320 x 3 PR, 345 x 2 PR (not a double ... first one i dropped like 1 inch from lock out, second one i locked out and got excited so i dropped the bar ... marcus told me it didnt count because i didnt return it so i had to do it one more time)

c. reverse hypers
    3 sets of 8 - 10

from here the workout kinda went all over the place .. you know how that goes

d. glut ham raises
    about 7 ... i could have done more but my quads were so sore they kept cramping up when being driven into the pad

e. chins

f. dips
    2 sets of 10

g. playing with chains
    marcus hooked up some handles to the chains and we messed around with different movements ... side delt raises, single over head presses, curls, etc. it felt really good and its something i want to work in more.

h. neck work
    a little work with the helmet and machine

i. abs
    circuit hanging crunches, toe raises, frog kicks
    where's my beer?

10/29/06
    this workout was a little sloppy as i had to workout at home and was in a hurry

A. floor presses
    95 x 15; 115 x 10; 135 x 10; 140 x 10; 140 x 9; 140 x 8

B. single armed db overheads
    40 x 12, 12, 10, 9
    my left is way behind right

C. bent row + rear delt superset
    br - 115 x 12, 12, 10, 8
    rd - 25 x 4; 10 x 12, 12, 10

D. curl + skull crusher superset
    curl - 65 x 10, 10, 8, 5
    sc - 65 x 9. 9, 7, 7

E. forearms
    light rep work with wrist curls and reverse curls.
    where's my beer?

Are you doing any of the linear and lateral speed development training that DeFranco recommends as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Are you doing any of the linear and lateral speed development training that DeFranco recommends as well?
    no ... ive thought about it, but im just doing the jiujitsu on mondays and wednesdays .... some saturdays. ive thought about incorporating some of it or doing some more cardio but time is a major factor right now.

the main reason i adopted this routines is that the lifting half seemed like a fairly consise yet reasonably intense program i could fit into 3 days a week. once im done working all the overtime in a few months ill probably go back to a 4 day per week split.
    where's my beer?

10/31/06
    PR on both incline and DB press

A. incline bench
    95 x 10; 115 x 5; 135 x 3; 155 x 2; 175 x miss; 175 x 1 PR; 175 x miss

B. DB Flat Bench
    55s x 8; 70s x 3 PR; 60s x 5; 60s x 4; 55s x 5

C. Lat Pull Down + Cable Pulls superset
    LPD: 140 x 3, 120 x 8, 100 x 8 100 x 8
    Cables: didnt count reps ... i really need to give the cables some love ... i suck at them

D. Hammer Curls
    40s x 4; 35s x 5, 5, 5

E. abs
    weighted crunches ... 25 on chest .. 10 behind head
    hanging crunches
    hanging leg raises
    frog kicks

F. Dips
    30lb DB 8, 8, 7
    Body Weight x 10
    where's my beer?

I wouldn't say I'm time stretched since I spend about 1.5 hours in the gym 5-6 days per week and train MA formally 4-6 times/week for at least an hour/session. This doesn't even count the home practice of kung fu and yoga that I do with my wife (who also does Tai Chi, Muay Thai, and rock climbing with me).

All that said, while I loved Defranco's template, I didn't feel like I had enough time to dedicate to ancillary skills, GPP, and cardio-vascular conditioning. I moved to something that was a bit more inspired by Christian Thibadeau's "Body Developer" template. I bring this up because the bulk of the work is done on 3 training days. One of these days for me typically looks like:

Warm-up x 20:00 (elliptical, stretch, rom, agility drills)

Gymnastics x 10:00 (I have 2 circuits of 3 exercises that I switch between each workout)

Weighted Work x 30:00 (3 exercises: Lowerbody; Upperbody Push; Pull/whole body -ie Weighted Pull-ups; Muscle ups; cleans; snatches, Rows; etc) Set/reps vary

GPP x 10:00-20:00 (This work is widely varied from kettlebell/clubbell work, strongman work, calesthenics, fighting drills, sprints, sledgehammer training, etc as well as combinations of the above - I'll also occasionally add interval training for 20-30 minutes of a treadmill, bike, elliptical, stepmill, or rowing ergometer in place of this)

Cool down x 10:00 (stretching)

You could easily knock out the gymnastics and the lengthy warm-up to have this pinned down to 60 minutes. You won't get as strong as doing the Defranco template, but you get in better condition, imo. If pushing the most amount of weight possible is your utmost concern, then the point is moot. If being strong and in good condition is a concern, then it's something to think about.

Also if you burn through the weighted exercises, you can have time to do ancillary work like face pulls, GHR's, Rev hypers, skull crushers, curls, etc.

On the off-days, I'll typically do intervals or long, sustained-duration cardio intermixed with cone drills and plyo's.

If pushing the most amount of weight possible is your utmost concern, then the point is moot. If being strong and in good condition is a concern, then it's something to think about.
    right now my goal is to get the big 3 up ... i want to hit 1000 by summer. at 145lbs i currently got 345 on pull, 275 on squat (belt/wraps), 215 on bench (close grip ... i need to max out my reg grip soon... hoping for at least 235 ... 250 by xmas).

i used to lift to sumplement martial arts, but for whatever reason the roles have reversed and im keeping up with martial arts to stay somewhat athletic. i really want to spend some time getting into shape, but right now there simply isnt any time to make. work 54 hours a week, adora and her school stuff, always something to do around the house, suzi is going to school and working full time so i gotta pick up slack with cleaning, eating, etc, etc spread very very thin as it is .... but the overtime wont last forever ... once im done with that i may actually give this program your talking about a chance. i really would like to do some of the gymnastics stuff especially.
    where's my beer?

I hear you. I went through a couple similar periods where all I focussed on was the Big 3 or the Oly lifts. Those periods helped me get a lot stronger too. If you can ever get a 4th day in, I'd highly recommend it. Sticking to a traditional Westside template really blew my numbers up.

11/02/06
    PR on olympic style squat

squat - olympic style
    110 x 10; 135 x 5; 150 x 3; 200 x 3; 220 x 2; 240 x 2; 260 x 1; 260 x 1 PR for this style squat - 275 in power stance (300 in suit)

trap bar deadlift
    135 x 8; 225 x 6; 225 x 6

reverse hypers
    4 sets of 8 - 10

neck + calves superset
    neck machine - 20 x 3 sets 10 both directions
    calf machine 250 x 3 sets 12 - 15

seated calf raises
    3 or 4 sets of 12 - 15

i didnt do lunges or grip, but still felt it was a good night. feel great today.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    I hear you. I went through a couple similar periods where all I focussed on was the Big 3 or the Oly lifts. Those periods helped me get a lot stronger too. If you can ever get a 4th day in, I'd highly recommend it. Sticking to a traditional Westside template really blew my numbers up.
    ill definatley get a 4th day in when i can ... the overtime wont last forever, but i need to take advantage of it while i can. espeically since im getting time and a half to surf the interweb.
    where's my beer?

11/03/06
    PR on bench!!
    tonight was supposed to be upper body for reps, but i was a little drunk and decided to max

bench
    135 x 10; 185 x 2; 210 x 1; 225 x 1 PR; 230 x 1 PR
    135 x 12, 12, 12 (still got my reps in )

lat pull down + behind neck cable pull down super set
    lpd 100 x 8, 8, 8 ,8
    behind neck 50 x 8, 8, 8 ,8

curl + skull superset
    both at 65 for 4 sets of 8

the latter half of my workout was spent kinda going through the motions, and i left some stuff out, but after finally getting the PR on finally i didnt care. plus i was a little tipsy. now as i write this post im a little drunk.
    where's my beer?