Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palms only kung fu styles.

Palms only kung fu styles.

Greetings, i haven't been here for a long time, anyway i've always wanted to learn kung fu but most of it is too hard, so i've been thinking hard and i figured i already know what type of kung would suit me.

I want to study an easy but uncommon kung fu style, so the kung fu style that would suit me would have to be

1. palms or palm strikes only ( reduced conditioning)
    2. external ( much easier than internal)
    3. no acrobatics and high kicks.
    4. little or few kicks at all.( hands are much easier)
    5. short range( long range is much harder)
    6. easy footwork.
    7. no throws or joint locks, just strikes.
    8. multiple attacks rather than single attacks(easier because you don't have to learn to generate so much power in a single hit)

So is there such a kung fu style?

Thanks.
    Last edited by wolfkiller; 10-28-2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: add criteria
    the path to righteousness is straight and narrow.

No......................................
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

What is up with people wanting to learn rare styles? You should want to learn the most effective style.

Rare styles are fun. The way I look at it, any style that was NOT effective, would have died out, and not made it to modern times anyway.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

YKM system of 18 Soft Hard Double Pushing palms system is purley a Palm system, unfortunately only a few people such as myself that know the complete internal system of YKM. It has throws and takedowns as well grappling hidden within the forms. So its complete in itself!!!

Garry

Forget about what's rare, popular, or considered cool. Find yourself a good teacher and choose a style that suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    Greetings, i haven't been here for a long time, anyway i've always wanted to learn kung fu but most of it is too hard, so i've been thinking hard and i figured i already know what type of kung would suit me.

I want to study an easy but uncommon kung fu style, so the kung fu style that would suit me would have to be

1. palms or palm strikes only ( reduced conditioning)
    2. external ( much easier than internal)
    3. no acrobatics and high kicks.
    4. little or few kicks at all.( hands are much easier)
    5. short range( long range is much harder)
    6. easy footwork.
    7. no throws or joint locks, just strikes.
    8. multiple attacks rather than single attacks(easier because you don't have to learn to generate so much power in a single hit)

So is there such a kung fu style?

Thanks.

*smacks face extreamly hard* kung fu means hard work. there is no easy way dude. if you want to fight with palms only go right ahead. if you dont want to do any kicks THEN DONT DO THEM simple as that. you can fight the way you want to. everybody fights diffrent. nobody can really tell you anything if they dont know how much you weigh and how tall are you and etc. there is no easy way. the most important thing is keep at it. then it wont be as hard.
    "you might be in a fake cma school if your master claims to teach a style secretly passed down to him & nobody else called the Five Deadly Venoms"-forgot who

"With kungfu, if it is good method you will build the body and the mind. when these are strong, the spirit flourishes. That's the core of kungfu and again it circles back to 'you'."- david jamieson

P.S. i could be completely wrong

YKM is similar to Chu Gar Pai Mei and Southern Praying Mantis, Right?

That's a difficult style to learn, with the special fist and the conditioning required for that and iron shirt training and the complex footwork.

I've always considered rarity an advantage. That's why i want a rare style.

I want an easy style too, because i'm already in my late twenties and i don't have 10 to 20 years to master a style, i want one that i can master in 2 to 3 years max.

I've heard that styles like Southern Praying Mantis and Splashing hands were kung fu styles invented to be learned in just 5 to 6 years. But from what i've seen those are still too hard, with all the special fists and finger strikes.

I thought maybe there are even easier but just as deadly style, i mean if SPM and Splashing hands can be learned quicker than most kung fu styles and still be capable of a 3-second-kill, there must be even rarer and easier styles that are just as deadly( but probably uglier looking, but that's ok, i want to learn kung fu to develop lethality)

Ok, so what's the easiest and fastest to learn kung fu style out there that doesn't have throws joint locks and high kicks and too much hand conditioning?

When you are beginning martial arts, it is very easy to become excited at this notion of strength and weakness of the different arts. If this excitement is motivation to train, it is probably worthwhile. But these sorts of academic obsessions don't really say much about the actual practice of martial arts. The most important thing, in picking a martial art school, is to find one which you will actually practice. And this typically means one whose training methods you will enjoy. The only way to find out what you'll enjoy is to try different things out. So use a forum like this to fuel your excitement and to make contacts in your area. But to actually make decisions about martial arts, go out to the local schools and practice. If you do this, you will naturally find the right fit for your interests.

u can come to chinatown/ongpin for a starter and try lau family hung gar...i recently started teaching there..if u need more infos pm me..

wolfkiller

You harbor a common beginner’s misconception: that there is some sort of secret that turns you into Wong Fei Hung without effort. That's ok though. Now, you have to let go of that. The truth is that it takes hard work and the correct attitude to become good at Kung Fu. If you look at history, Kung Fu fighters were often individuals who would of likely been tough with or without martial arts. Kung Fu was used for life and death combat. Training wasn't a luxury, but a tool of survival. They trained hard and with combat in mind. To gain skill, you too must train hard and with combat in mind. It's as simple as that. There are no magical martial arts elixirs. Gong Fu means "Time and Effort". You get what you put in. If you want results, train hard and with the right attitude. Also, my previous advice remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Forget about what's rare, popular, or considered cool. Find yourself a good teacher and choose a style that suits you.
    Lastly, don't worry about your age.
    Last edited by The Xia; 10-31-2006 at 11:59 AM.

I thought maybe there are even easier but just as deadly style, i mean if SPM and Splashing hands can be learned quicker than most kung fu styles and still be capable of a 3-second-kill, there must be even rarer and easier styles that are just as deadly( but probably uglier looking, but that's ok, i want to learn kung fu to develop lethality)
    A 9mm and about 6 months practice sounds like thats what you need.

The external system of YKM is like Pak Mei, The true YKM is soft system like Taiji but the Pak Mei was used in the beginning to teach students before they learn the or if they get chosen to learn the internal art of YKM.

You can learn IRON PALM and develop some different striking methods yourself if you are keen enough!?

Garry

Ok, so what's the easiest and fastest to learn kung fu style out there that doesn't have throws joint locks and high kicks and too much hand conditioning?

Reply]
    You are not going to find that. All striking styles require hand conditioning. All Kung Fu has throws and joint locks. ALL martial arts require effort, and hard training to get good at. There is no way around that. Hand conditioning is really the easiest aspect of it anyway. The herbs you use deaden any pain involved in the training (not that there is much of that if done right, but...). If you are afraid of the hand conditioining aspect, then you really don't have the intestinal fortitude to get good at ANY physical discapline, let alone any kind of Kung Fu. I sugjest you eat a lot, watch TV alot and get Fat...it's about all you can handle.

As for learning a Rare art, good luck. It's rare, you are going to be lucky to find it....

Kicks in Southern Tai Tzu are all low, few waist high, but the rest are low, to the knees and such. It fits that requirement for you.

Now, for something that is good, and gets you up to fighting speed quick, there are a number of choices. I myself would recomend Southern Tai Tzu Quan. it is a system developed in the late Sung dynasty to rapidly rebuild troops. It's like basic training. It's popular around Fuzian provence, but rather rare elswhere in the world, especially the USA. (Outside of me, Good luck finding it)

It is a small system, with only 8 really short forms. The first 5-6 are essential, and the final 2 are only taught to closed door desciples. With full time training (6-8 hours a day 5-6 days a week), it can be mastered in 3 years or so. Of course it may take you 3-4 years to develop the physical conditioning neded to train that long and hard in the first place but that is another story....

If you are going to train part time, like 3-4 hours a day lets say, you can be pretty darn good in 3 years with this system.

If all you do is 1 hour 3X a week because this is just a hobby to you, you will still have reliable and effective self defence abilities in 3 years. You just won't be much compared to someone doing the art for 3 years who puts in thier 3-4 hours a day...

The style requires hard training though, there is just no getting around that, in any art. The nice part about this perticular style is that it will function, even before you get the body mechanics right. So if you put a few hours in of training 5-6 days a week, you can have a really good, functional fighting system inside of 18 months. Of course, thats a lot hard work, and you don't seem interested in working hard.

If you develop a good work ethic though, and want a truely rare style, I'm in Chicago. I have the core of the system, just not the last 2 closed door sets as I don't have the means to move to Fuzian, or Taiwwan and become a dsciple to learn them (Not to mention I don't have the motivation)
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 10-29-2006 at 04:48 AM.

For the Women:

+ = & a