Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC rules and TMA

Hybrid View

UFC rules and TMA

At first, I agreed with most MMAist in this forum about CMAist crying about the rules in tournaments like UFC. However, after visiting the UFC website, I do not feel that UFC rules are good for a lot of TMA techniques. Here is the list of fouls from the UFC website.

* = not good for TMA
    **= not good for TMA but should not be allowed.

Fouls: [Top]
    *1. Butting with the head.
    **2. Eye gouging of any kind.
    3. Biting.
    *4. Hair pulling.
    **5. Fish hooking.
    *6. Groin attacks of any kind.
    **7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
    *8. Small joint manipulation.
    **9. Striking to the spine or the back of the head.
    *10. Striking downward using the point of the elbow.
    *11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    *12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh. <---this is one of my favorate attacks
    *13. Grabbing the clavicle. <---this is one of my favorate attacks
    *14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    *15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    *16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
    *17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    **18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.
    19. Throwing an opponent out of the ring or fenced area.
    *20. Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent.
    21. Spitting at an opponent.
    22. Engaging in an unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent.
    23. Holding the ropes or the fence.
    24. Using abusive language in the ring or fenced area.
    25. Attacking an opponent on or during the break.
    26. Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee.
    27. Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat.
    28. Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee.
    29. Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury.
    30. Interference by the corner.
    31. Throwing in the towel during competition.

Now, I know I will get heII from MMAist, but you must admit. Now that many fighters are used to JJ, many TMA do not make the same mistakes.

How good is your gouging, hair pulling, butting, biting, clawing and throat striking? I mean, how do you know? How do you practice it? You can practice kicks and punches on a pad, on a person, etc... do you do a line of bites up and down the floor?

Who do you think can actually use stuff like bites and gouges in a fight? The guy on the bottom, or the guy on top with the controlling position?

Frankly, if you get taken down and mounted, all the eye gouges in the world aren't going to save you. You're served working yoru take down defenses and getting back to your feet if that fails than relying on biting

If you think your fighting art only works if you can bite, what kind of a fighting art are you doing?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    How good is your gouging, hair pulling, butting, biting, clawing and throat striking? I mean, how do you know? How do you practice it? You can practice kicks and punches on a pad, on a person, etc... do you do a line of bites up and down the floor?

Who do you think can actually use stuff like bites and gouges in a fight? The guy on the bottom, or the guy on top with the controlling position?

Frankly, if you get taken down and mounted, all the eye gouges in the world aren't going to save you. You're served working yoru take down defenses and getting back to your feet if that fails than relying on biting

If you think your fighting art only works if you can bite, what kind of a fighting art are you doing?
    Biting does not have a star.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Biting does not have a star.
    Fine, substitute any of the other tactics for the words "bite", "bites" or "biting" and the argument is the same

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Fine, substitute any of the other tactics for the words "bite", "bites" or "biting" and the argument is the same
    No, it isn't.

Try to fight someone who has strong hand squeezing power (130lbs or more in one hand). They can EASILY dislocate the clavicle.

Cool MMA and TMA

I don't think it's healthy to confuse dirty tactics with delivery system. Worst still is to confuse gymnastic or acting attributes with fighting ability.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Blog Entries
    Don't under estimate the value of "biting". If you can bite one of your opponent's fingers off then the fight could end right there. Bite the moment you feel that you are going down with your opponent, and don't try to bite after your opponent got an arm bar on you.

How to train "biting"?

Beginner level - Get a raw pig leg and try to sink your teeth all the way through the bone.
    Intermediate level - Try to bite a live dog's leg or rattle snake's head off.
    Advance level - Go to the zoo and train with any living lion or tiger.

After you have passed all three levels of training, you may face any MMA guys without fear.

A. I lost one of my fingers in my last MMA fight.
    B. I lost one of my ears in my last BJJ fight.
    C. I lost one of my balls in my last Pride fight.
    D. I lost my "only" coc* in my last UFC fight.
    E. I told you we CMA guys don't follow rules and we don't play fair.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-31-2006 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Don't under estimate the value of "biting". If you can bite one of your opponent's fingers off then the fight could end right there. Bite the moment you feel that you are going down with your opponent, and don't try to bite after your opponent got an arm bar on you.

How to train "biting"?

Beginner level - Get a raw pig leg and try to sink your teeth all the way through the bone.
    Intermediate level - Try to bite a live dog's leg or rattle snake's head off.
    Advance level - Go to the zoo and train with any live lion or tiger.

After you have passed all three level of training, you may face any MMA guys without fear.
    BWUHAHAHAHA!

YouKnowWho: it's been a long time and just when the Best Troll thread comes up too!

1) You ain't gonna bite in the ring cos it's against the rules.
    2) I sure as hell ain't gonna bite in the street cos it's against common sense re health.

You're a freak.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Blog Entries
    Try to have some sense of humor guys. I don't believe US has any law that's against joking around on the internet.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-31-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Fair enough. That was **** funny then!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Gotta play devil's advocate here:

I watched the entire set of "Classic UFC" dvd's the other day. It was completly awesome, and totally different than what you see nowadays. I have no doubt whatsoever that most of the MMA guys competing wouldn't last in the old "No Rules" format.

I watched Tank Abbot brutally fishhooking a helpless Oleg Tokterov.

I watched Frank Shamrock punching some guy in the groin until he submitted.

I watched a much smaller man headbutt a 6'8" 400lbs. man for a knockout. (without this technique he'd have lost for sure)

I watched numerous matches end in knockouts from the proscribed fouls, and wrist and finger locks used to be a staple of several fighters...

I practice Aikido, and small joint manipulations are an important part of my art. If punches were considered foul nobody would be claiming that boxers were whiners for complaining about it. So why disparage the traditionalists who train different skills than the MMA guy?

The fouls are "Foul" because they work exceptionally well against anyone. The fouls level the field, they are fight enders. If MMA guys could all easily handle people who used those techniques, they wouldn't be illegal, and they wouldn't have resulted in so many short fights (which is the real reason they were banned).

Claiming that you can easily beat someone on the street who isn't playing by your rules becase you can roll on a mat makes you just as deluded as the TMA guy who thinks he's "too deadly for competition".

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwang View Post
    I got taken down by a guy 75-100 pounds bigger than me after a minute or two of stand up (this was a street fight) and guess what got him off me and ended the fight? A reverse tiger claw thumb in the eye socket four fingers under his jawed. Pulled that guy right off me and ended the fight with him going to the hospital.
    I think this thread is about UFC/MMA fighting and the restricted techniques in that venue. Eye gouging a trained groundfighter when he is mounted is completely different than doing it to someone with whom you are fighting on the street and who is probably clueless about groundfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I think this thread is about UFC/MMA fighting and the restricted techniques in that venue. Eye gouging a trained groundfighter when he is mounted is completely different than doing it to someone with whom you are fighting on the street and who is probably clueless about groundfighting.
    We call it alternately "idiot testing" or "little sister testing".... ie "I used it once on this idiot and it worked" or "I did it on my little sister and it worked"...

Stories like that mean NOTHING.... Try it on someone with basic ground fighting knowledge (Sambo, BJJ, Judo, what have you) and see what happens... and, again, we aren't even talking elite fighters. Anyone with a few months of BJJ can avoid an eye gouge and get that arm lock to break....