Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC rules and TMA

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I'm addressing the premise or assumption that techniques not used my MMAists are ineffective or useless.
    Those techniques are not useless at all. In fact they can be killler tools to have in one's toolbox. However, you've got to know when to use them and when to not use them. Trying to eye gouge someone when you are mounted on them is hugely different than trying to eye gouge someone when the postitions are reversed. The first is highly effective. The second is a big mistake.

I could show you some devastating toe breaks. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to use them unless you were skilled at getting into position and isolating the foot.

Some of the Filipino biting "systems" can be very effective. These techniques are much more effective for someone who understads the positioning that is used in MMA fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Eyegouges and headbutts are effective and also illegal.
    They are most effective for the more effective fighter.

MMA are just as susceptible to a headbutt as a tma'er.
    But the MMA fighter is usually more adept at getting to a position to deliver them.

Some skill sets are outside of those limitations while that is the world that MMAists thrive in, the good ones at least.
    The point that the TMA artists make is that these things would even the playing field if they were allowed... they would not, however, make things more even. They would just tilt them more in favor of the MMA fighters.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-01-2006 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    The point that [some] TMA artists make is that these things would even the playing field if they were allowed... they would not, however, make things more even. They would just tilt them more in favor of the MMA fighters.
    fixed..........

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    and plus, when you get into a ring and do their rules, its basically you are doing the same thing as them. the cma basically goes out the window.

then you get people going,
    like in the taiwan swat thread.
    that looks like a tkd kick, that looks like a mauy thai kick. that looks like jujitsu, or thats bjj.
    the fact of the matter is its a kick. a kick is a kick, it has the same result, you hit someone hard with your leg. an arm bar is an arm bar, still same result, you break their elbow.
    stop trying to break it all down.
    I don't agree. CMA is not about what is at the end of the spear. Its about everything behind it.

A kick is a kick. You had it right there.

ufc rules were basically none existent in the 1st one. lots of people got hurt.

the rules established now are to make sure you can have a good fight, that is trying to be as realistic as possible without hurting the people too bad so they can go back and fight another day.

i have to say i agree with these rules, although i would like to see chin na used. that would take it to a good level.

but when tma steps into the ring with these rules, it becomes the same thing that these rules are designed for, kick boxing. cause they are basically what they are kickboxing rules, and rules for jujitsu of some kind.

face it, thats what it is.

yes sifu able it is what is behind the training.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    A kick is a kick. You had it right there.
    Ah... but a kick is not just a kick.
    There's a world of difference between a flicky little toe kick and a baseball bat shin kick.

I didn't misspell my name.

Ah... but a kick is not just a kick.
    There's a world of difference between a flicky little toe kick and a baseball bat shin kick.
    Or a break your jaw round kick. You MT nuthugger. And we don't hit with the toe, you clueless jerk off.

Or a break your jaw round kick. You MT nuthugger. And we don't hit with the toe, you clueless jerk off.

sifu abel

this is why i dont even bother with arguments on the internet.

knife fighter

a flicky toe kick is a flicky toe kick. end result you flick a toe at them.

a jaw breaking round house kick is a jaw breaking round house kick. end result = break jaw.

does it matter if the technique for doing it is MT, TKD, CMA? no, it has the same effect.
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Lueb,

You don't seem to get it.

ALL round kicks other the MT round kick are included in this dillweeds on going fight for growth hormone therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    does it matter if the technique for doing it is MT, TKD, CMA? no, it has the same effect.
    Doesn't matter where it comes from... if it is effective, it is effective... if it is not, it is not.

However, some systems have more flicky little toe kicks than others... while others spend no time at all on those types of kicks.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 11-01-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Lueb,

You don't seem to get it.

ALL round kicks other the MT round kick are included in this dillweeds on going fight for growth hormone therapy.

hahahahaahahhahaahhaahhahaha

ill leave this convo then.

instead they spin around and hope not to get hit in the back.

You guys are too funny. You are so caught up in defending your little CMA worlds that you miss any useful points. All you see is attacks on CMA, even when they are not there.

A kick is not a kick because there are a variety of different kicks that are useful in different scenarios.

The flicky little toe kick that does no damage with sandals becomes a devastating strike when done with pointy-toe cowboy boots.

The devastating shin kick that knocks the wind out of your opponent doesn't do much when you and your opponent are in snowboarding clothes.

A shin kick is not necessarily a shin kick and a flicky toe kick is not a necessarily flicky toe kick.... and a flicky toe kick is definitely not a roundhouse shin kick.

Those techniques are not useless at all. In fact they can be killler tools to have in one's toolbox. However, you've got to know when to use them and when to not use them. Trying to eye gouge someone when you are mounted on them is hugely different than trying to eye gouge someone when the postitions are reversed. The first is highly effective. The second is a big mistake.

I could show you some devastating toe breaks. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to use them unless you were skilled at getting into position and isolating the foot.

Some of the Filipino biting "systems" can be very effective. These techniques are much more effective for someone who understads the positioning that is used in MMA fighting.

They are most effective for the more effective fighter.

But the MMA fighter is usually more adept at getting to a position to deliver them.

The point that the TMA artists make is that these things would even the playing field if they were allowed... they would not, however, make things more even. They would just tilt them more in favor of the MMA fighters.
    I agree with everything except that last bit, which isn't worth arguing.

jeebas...this show is still on? when's the simpsons coming on?

technique is only any good if you land it. you can throw a lot of high power techs and get and end result of zero if defense if played proper. Heck you might even get countered and dumped.

there's plenty of power techs in both tma and mma and the landing of them has a lot of factors.

i can say one thing, the longer this argument goes, the weaker it gets for those overzealous proponents of mma. If and when cma decides to en masse adapt and tailor training towards ufc types matches then it is what it is. Im sure there will be more than 1 or 2 representatives of traditional arts eventually.

just add more endurance training and add a bit o'grappling to the mix and dumb down everything to the basics and hang on to whatever your good at so long as it falls in the rule set and you're good to go. By adding the wrestling aspect you will not be view as a tma-ist anymore though. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.