Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC rules and TMA

Chief Fox,

Like I said just a little earlier, I don't care what others think and I don't hold my tongue with my opinions. For a lot of people, that becomes a problem. I state a simple fact, like I studied with several well respected sifu, and that's "bragging". I don't pat people on the head and tell them that they're deadly kung fu machines, I point out a lot of inconsistencies and flat out BS in TCMA... so I'm "knocking" CMA... Some people want to call me a "sell out" because I don't simply do what was done before... but again, I don't care what others think, don't care what they want to label me, and the truth is still the truth, even if it hurts your feelings
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Talk about inconsistence as well a hypocrite!! You said to Greencloud about his Krav Maga and all the other things he supposively teachers at his school now its ok for you to be teaching a whole lot of stuff and its okay???

Quote Originally Posted by YiLiQuan1 View Post
    I get a real kick out of the TMA/MMA internet squabbles. From my training experience and personal changes of opinion, the conflict arises when MMA nutrider tells TMA/CMA nutrider that "your deadly art sucks because..." The MMAist misses some pertinent points in his ignorant harangue, and the CMAist, more knowledgeable on the subject, takes offense and fires back with a rebuttal the MMAist simply can't understand due to a lack of reference.

But the exact same thing happens when TMA/CMA nutrider tells the MMA nutrider that "your sport art sucks because..." The CMAist, having virtually no time mounted by someone else, and quite likely without the first clue as to how some (if not most) ground fighting techniques are applied, misses some pertinent points in his juvenile adherence to Master Po's teaching, and the MMAist, knowing better, fires back a rebuttal that the TMA/CMAist is woefully unprepared to accept or understand.

It's an ongoing battle, fueled by the ignorance of both parties.

I've done TMA/CMA for 21 years now. I previously felt that grappling was a joke, a gimmick, and that a striker worth his salt would have no problem whatsoever dispatching a would-be "gh3y" grappler during his initial approach for a takedown.

Then I started doing some grappling training courtesy of the U.S. Army's Combatives program (coupled with some Judo/Jujutsu tutoring from a friend).

It boils down, very simply, to the fact that easily 90% of TMA/CMA folks will never test themselves in anything resembling an "alive" (Gods how I hate that word) manner. They'll accept the word of their sensei/sifu/sabum as Gospel and go with whatever he/she/it tells them, never once questioning for themselves. That's where they go wrong.

It's also a case of 90% of MMA folks giving absolutely no credence to a) styles with long histories of use and b) ignoring modern history. My favorite is "TMA doesn't work in the ring," and "reverse punches are bull." Especially when Chuck Liddell, a TMAist (originally) employs repeated reverse punches to knock the faces off his opponents with predictable regularity.

The only True Path (c) is to open your eyes, tuck your opinion in your pocket, and train without judgement. Being in the Mount rocks. Being mounted does not. I use my TMA/CMA just fine during stand up, and even when on the ground. But dominant position is dominant position, and MMA/TMA won't do you much good if you can't respond appropriately to what your opponent is force feeding you while mounted on your chest...

Enjoy.

Amen brother!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    boxing coach freddie roach has been quoted as saying "If a good hook misses, the elbow lands"
    Very true. The hook and elbow strike are almost the same **** move.

However, fist, then elbow to the body, followed by a shoulder? that makes me think that the initial "punch" is really more of a push. Is that so? Is there a clip somewhere where I can see that and get a better understanding?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfKH...elated&search=

Here is a video of my teacher's teacher. I believe that he does the "shoulder stroke" at one point in this vid. However, he is already in striking range with the shoulder so you don't see the first two possible strikes. Maybe someone else has a vid from Chen Taiji. I'll look around on the net tommorrow and see if I can come up with a better example.

why is there no venue to cover these differences? they don't seem to be taken care of in san shou and shuai chiao.
    Hmm...not sure what you are asking?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Chief Fox,

Like I said just a little earlier, I don't care what others think and I don't hold my tongue with my opinions. For a lot of people, that becomes a problem. I state a simple fact, like I studied with several well respected sifu, and that's "bragging". I don't pat people on the head and tell them that they're deadly kung fu machines, I point out a lot of inconsistencies and flat out BS in TCMA... so I'm "knocking" CMA... Some people want to call me a "sell out" because I don't simply do what was done before... but again, I don't care what others think, don't care what they want to label me, and the truth is still the truth, even if it hurts your feelings
    Did you see the smiley face at the end of my post?

I've said it before, it seams like you got a good thing going, so who cares what others think.

I just think it's funny that people keep giving you cr@p about it.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post

Did you see the smiley face at the end of my post?
    Yes, that's why I didn't immediately challenge you to 2 am sledge hammers at the land fill

note the

or is better?

But whether you were serious or not, I still feel the same way as I post

I've said it before, it seams like you got a good thing going,

I just think it's funny that people keep giving you cr@p about it.
    The two issues are related.....

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Yes, that's why I didn't immediately challenge you to 2 am sledge hammers at the land fill
    I'll be there! You can use a full size 16lb. sledge and I'll only use a 2lb. sledge.

But I can't do it today. And tomorrow doesn't really work out either. I'm tied up all weekend and I'm going out of town next week.... I'll have to let you know when.

I'll be there! You can use a full size 16lb. sledge and I'll only use a 2lb. sledge.

But I can't do it today. And tomorrow doesn't really work out either. I'm tied up all weekend and I'm going out of town next week.... I'll have to let you know when.
    I'm a real kung fu guy, so we have to use the 20 lb sledges and I have to wear my kung fu shoes... other than that, I'm not being unreasonable, but I need it to be next Tuesday, I have privates to teach... at you have to be there exactly at 2 am.. if you show up late, it's off, if you show up early, it's off

Oh, and I'm getting a restraining order against you and I'll shoot you if you come near me

Quote Originally Posted by Fu-Pow View Post
    Very true. The hook and elbow strike are almost the same **** move.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfKH...elated&search=

Here is a video of my teacher's teacher. I believe that he does the "shoulder stroke" at one point in this vid.
    Why is this video called "real fight"?
    And what's up with the guy in white running backwards and falling down on his a$$
    and basically falling over every time he gets touched?
    And what's up with the head butt to the stomach?
    And why are they so off balance?

I'm a real kung fu guy, so we have to use the 20 lb sledges and I have to wear my kung fu shoes... other than that, I'm not being unreasonable, but I need it to be next Tuesday, I have privates to teach... at you have to be there exactly at 2 am.. if you show up late, it's off, if you show up early, it's off

Oh, and I'm getting a restraining order against you and I'll shoot you if you come near me
    That's fine but keep in mind that I've recently stubbed my toe and I'm still recovering. Oh and you can bring all of your friends, I'll fight all of them at the same time blindfolded.

Yeah, you're so tuff, you and all of your friends beating up a blindfolded guy with a stubbed toe.

Thumbs up

That's fine but keep in mind that I've recently stubbed my toe and I'm still recovering. Oh and you can bring all of your friends, I'll fight all of them at the same time blindfolded.

Yeah, you're so tuff, you and all of your friends beating up a blindfolded guy with a stubbed toe.
    LOL

Dude, I have gotta buy you a pizza and a beer

LOL

Dude, I have gotta buy you a pizza and a beer
    Maybe some chicken wings and beer. I know just the place.
    http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...ootergirl1.jpg

ttt for chicken wings

LOL! You left out the part about some injury that's only 20% healed, but when it's 60% healed - watch out!

LOL!

Now this is entertainment!