Thread: Dr. Craig Reid e-zine articles

Dr. Craig Reid e-zine articles

One of our most prolific e-zine contributors, as well as our Film correspondant, Dr. Craig Reid has covered movies for us for some time now. Many of his film reviews already have discussion threads. He's done some penetrating work on 'unsung heroes' of martial arts cinema and they tned not to have their own thread yet, so I'll start compiling them here.

Check out his latest contribution, Richard Norton: Chan's Popular Downunder Villain with cameos from ABBA, Mick Jagger and Stevie Nicks.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Craig's not a priest...

...but he plays one in a new short film. Read his latest e-zine feature GOOD SOIL: LAST SAMURAI to First Christian Samurai and see Dr. Reid in his Christian robes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I enjoyed the article on "Good Soil". It comes at an interesting time. I live in Japan and just about two weeks ago there was a peice on the old "hidden Christian" communities in (I think) Kamakura prefecture in one of our English newspapers.

They said that once Japan kicked the foreigners out and closed it`s borders these communities lost contact with European Christians. They were slowly influenced by the Buddhism and Shinto around them and eneded up forming thier own kind of Christianity that was unique to Japan. Because of the persicution they faced, they were drawn together and kept thier traditions intact for 400 years. But now that there is freedom of religion (since the end of WWII) there are no real trials holding thier communities together.....and thier unique faith is rapidly disappearing, killed off by religious tolerance of all things.

oh i see how it is gene dr.reid gets to do an article about his indie film but when i wanted to do one. i was told no aight aight i see how you be. lol i'm just kidiing actually that looks interesting christian samurai

Dr. Reid is our columnist and we only have two columnists

Doug, I respect your contribution to our forum, but how many articles have you written for us?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

none

thats why i was joking. i know dr.reid contributes alot so he has some credibility with you guys. besides i didn;t have any real intentions of writing one again i was just joking.

another good one only thing is i thought beowulf was a norse story not a english one.

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Beowulf was actually Northumbrian not English.
    Northumbria was kingdom that existed long before England came into being it covered what is roughly now Northern England & Southern lowlands of Scotland.

The flag next to my name is the Northumbrian flag

Pedantry Abound

Beowulf

The story is set in Scandanavia and is thought to have come from that area/tradition yeah ....

When we talk about it being English we are referring to the famous written poetic version which is in English and following a poetic form used at that time in English. The language.

For all those pedants out there it'a officially Alliterative, Accentual Verse in Old English.

As has been pointed out here, back then countries were not exactly the same . On that note, almost all nationailst appropriation of history is ridiculous when examined in depth.

RF

Long overdue ttt

I'm afraid I haven't kept up with this thread at all.

Craig wrote a book - see his new article The Ultimate Guide to the Martial Arts Movies of the 1970s
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips