Thread: Tai Ji for kids?

Tai Ji for kids?

Has anyone seen or been part of a MA school able to successfully run a taiji for kids program?

I ask since I notice there is little to no Taiji in this area.
    I suspect it would be hard to get enough students for an adult Taiji school.

Presently I am just running some privates in the driveway after work.

Kevin

http://plumflowermantisboxing.com/
    Last edited by K.Brazier; 11-02-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Check this out

Pushing for Peace by Marilyn Cooper. Marilyn does work with tai chi and kids.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Smile Hi Kevin,

Glad to hear that you are having classes. I think it's possible to teach Taiji to kids but the question really is are you going the traditional CMA route or are you going to make it more accessable for North American market? If you are not concern about teaching "traditional" values to the kids, then it's going to be a lot more easier.

Given your background in both Aikido/Judo, TCMA including Taiji. Make it play as the way for the kids. I think you can easily come up with a program (note: a program not a style) that would fit the kids of modern times. Actually the concept of blending these arts have been done already. But to have a unique flavor of you particular material, I think it's worth the experiement.

Anyway, I say go for it. Remeber, whatever you do advertising is king.

Warmest regards

Robert
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

If my daughter is interested I will try to teach her Taiji when she is around 4 or 5 (now she is only 19 months).
    Of course no abstract talking like Qi. But teaching the forms at a young age, with still a wonderful flexibility, will make so that she will keep that flexibility for years to come.
    I am going to show her few applications that might be useful for her young age, like how to behave in case someone punches you or set free if someone grabs you. I think about avoiding arm/wrist locks, wouldn't like shea breaks or dislocate an arm of a kid at school.

Of course if she is interested, I am not gonna force her...