Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wu Lin I Jia / All Martial Arts One Family

Hi everybody,

A glimpse of Ven. Sek's Sao Lim Hood Pai Kung Fu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYV6-lMHZgM

I've got many old pics of this style in Singapore.

Having most of my stuffs transported here and soon I should be able to put together something more comprehensive.

Sao Lim is one of the styles that I studied.....

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hey Eric,

I was wondering if you had video (youtube?) of the Sao Lim Luohanquan form that was featured in the book "Shaolin Lohan Kung Fu" by the late Donn F. Draeger. I've always wanted to see what the form looks like in motion, rather than still pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everybody,

Taichi4eva, like I mentioned elsewhere in this forum, Ven. Sek taught different forms to each of his disciples.

We do different versions Luohan. Personally I have not seen Dato P’ng Luohan form myself.

I will be in Kuala Lumpur West Malaysia this Wednesday till Sunday.

There to interact with some CKF folks and if time permits, I might travel to Penang.

Hopefully to meet Dato P’ng ………..

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi there Eric,
    good stuff. I can see I need a bigger harddisk soon. Heh heh.....
    So we can download clips and books?
    Will tell my wingchun brothers about this great site here in Singapore.
    BTW any chance you can put up Ku Sifu clips on youtube soon?

Hi everybody,

Shadow Warrior8, I am working towards putting as much traditional CKF on-line as possible. Well like I said, I will be in West Malaysia tomorrow. There to talk to some CKF high hands regarding recording and archiving their syllabus in “WuLinIJia”.

In the coming months, I would be shuttling between Malaysia and Singapore before I start exploring the other regions in SE Asia; all with the intent of seeking out the old schools CKF.

Bigger drive? Nah…I think you should just burn DVDs…

Spent the afternoon watching a Wushu competition event here in Kuching.

Not really my “thing” but I was there to support the Wushu club that I “moonlight” as a traditional MA consultant.

Got a clip here of one of the boys, Fu Ming, doing his Wushu routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLElVPEzL9c

This kid is really something; he is trained in the old ways and now he is one of the top Wushu athletics in this country.

Frankly at the rate he is going, I think he will be going places…..

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 12-12-2006 at 06:28 AM.

ooops... the previous link is bad....

This should do it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT6_NRss3BE

Gooood morning folks,

One more clip before I fly off to Kuala Lumpur….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUYNRfEigWM

Another upcoming kid doing “Nan Quan”. Except for 1 unstable moment, I think she did okay with her delivery…

Love working with these kids; youthful energies aside, these kids got a very strong bond amongst them.

Kudos to Mr. Chester Lim, the Chairman of the club, who spend countless hours training and grooming them.

I will be featuring these kids doing some of my traditional stuffs when I come back from my trip.

Well like I said, many of them already have good grounding in traditional CKF……

I also noticed youtude comments asking about the background music in some of the clips.

What can I say? I am into all sorts of music…. Rock, jazz, indie, hip-hop and these days I am collecting all sorts of ethnic music.

And Shakira …… “Oral fixacion” ….. lalalala…..

So besides my Amex card, I never leave home without my MP3 player….

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

Just got in from Kuala Lumpur today….couldn’t fly yesterday because flights from KL to Kuching were all fully sold out due to school holidays’ traffic.

What a thrilling trip this has been! Met up with none other than Sifu Yap Boh Heong, son of Master Yap Cheng Hai.

Master Yap is, of course, the senior (if not most senior) disciple of the late GM Chee Kim Tong.

Sifu Yap, Sifu Lam and Sifu Chong showed me Wuzu Quan, the like of which, I have never seen before. Well, you live and you learn….

2 sessions with these high hands and I recorded no less than 10 forms from this extraordinary style.

Well, you can bet that Sifu Yap and I will be co-operating on many traditional CKF projects.

A clip of Sifu Yap’s rendition of GM Chee’s Wuzu Sanchiem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJJZr7Yn90

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

Snapshots from my KL trip last week.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQbjplJiAM

You’ll find pics of Sifu Lum and Sifu Chong in the slide show. Both these gentlemen are from GM Chee’s Wuzu.

Sifu Lum, almost eighty, was very kind to not only demo forms; he spent a great deal of time walking me through the histories of GM Chee’s Wuzu and other styles popular in West Malaysia.

This Sifu even did Hungga’s “Ng Long Pak Kwa Kwon” and a rare Wing Chun “Double Butterfly” knives form for my camera.

Most laudable was his performance of the rarely seen “White Crane Washing Body” that he genially permitted to be recorded.

Sifu Chong is very active in promoting his Wuzu to regular schools in KL. Together with a Choy Li Fut friend, they are working hard in reviving interest in traditional CKF.

This young Sifu did “20 Fists”, Tai Chor Sanchiem, Monkey, “Shaolin Kai San” and 2 weapon forms.

Personally, I think CKF needs more of this Sifu’s attitude and zeal.

I spent many hours discussing, not just the past but also the future of traditional CKF with Sifu Yap, Sifu Lum and Sifu Chong.

Want to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to this group of wonderful Wuzu high hands for taking the time out to entertain me.

And to the late GM Chee; my highest regards…..

Eric

Hi Eric

What can you tell me about this Shaolin Kai San form Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Fist has this form as its basic set ? Is this a common form among Southern Shaolin Systems i have herd only this form mentioned by another style that was a Wuzu Ngo Cho Kun style but they called it Hoi Sam Kun and Kai San .

Hi Robert,

All I know is this; "Kai San" or "Opening Mountain" is the entry form found in quite a few CKF styles.

"Hoi Sam" is the Cantonese pronounciation.

The form that I shot in KL, according to Sifu Yap, is "Shaolin Kai San" which is the beginner's form of Southern Shaolin.

The other Shaolin "San" form is "Hu San" or "Protecting Mountain", also taught in Shaolin lineages.

Got another clip here comprising of pictures extracted from a mainland WuZu manual.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVD2LqUMEQ

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 12-20-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh.... the link in above message is DEAD!

Here's the new one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piH1fF0Xqw

Anyway flying to Sibu again tomorrow.

To record their "Hornbill Trophy" MA competition.

Also to shoot more Kung Fu.

Got to start packing; will be away for a week minimun....

Warmest Regards.

Eric

hi all,

seeing that this is taught in our school, this is what I know. The form is actually a Shao Lin form and not Ngo Chor (WuZu).

Kai San Quan, the name means 'Opening the Mountain'. This was the first form taught traditionally to new Xao Lin temple recruits. It is simple enough for them to learn yet sophisticated enough to master. Hence a new students can be judged by the profficiency by which he has achieved in this form.

The name could come from the fact that to enter Xao Lin, is referred to as 'going up the mountain'

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ling View Post
    Hi Robert,

All I know is this; "Kai San" or "Opening Mountain" is the entry form found in quite a few CKF styles.

"Hoi Sam" is the Cantonese pronounciation.

The form that I shot in KL, according to Sifu Yap, is "Shaolin Kai San" which is the beginner's form of Southern Shaolin.

The other Shaolin "San" form is "Hu San" or "Protecting Mountain", also taught in Shaolin lineages.

Got another clip here comprising of pictures extracted from a mainland WuZu manual.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVD2LqUMEQ

Warmest Regards.

Eric

Hi everybody,

Boh, good to see you here. How’s things in KL? Hope to read more & learn from your postings…

I am posting this from Sibu Sarawak. Here to cover a traditional CKF event and to shoot more of Sifu Xiong De Lu’s Wuzu Quan.

Another exciting turn of events for me; I was introduced to a Hakka Internal Chu Gar Praying Mantis Sifu here. Captured this Sifu, Liew, doing 3 of his Chu Gar PM forms and managed to interview him somewhat. We even arranged to meet again in his “kwon” to do more videos of his syllabus.

This is an exclusive family style and Sifu Liew is the 7th generation of this line of Chu Gar.

The “Internal” in the name is deliberate as this style emphasizes “internal jin” work.

I will post some of his clips when I get back to Kuching on New Year’s Eve.

And believe me folks, this Sifu got to be seen to be believed……

Got to run…got an appointment to meet some White Crane elders here….

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 12-25-2006 at 01:18 AM.

Hi everybody,

Just got in from Sibu.

What a trip this has been; besides covering the traditional CKF event held on the 22nd and 23rd, I spent the next 6 days meeting and shooting more Masters of diverse styles from all over Sibu.

This includes a session with one of the highest ranking White Crane Masters from the late GM Lee Kheng Kiang’s line.

The opportunity to observe and shoot this style of White Crane up-close is most fulfilling, to say the least.

I also met another Master who described 2 other styles that were prevalent in Sibu many years ago; “Dragon Tiger” and “Teochew Praying Mantis”.

So guess what I’ll be searching for next when I travel to Sibu….

Here’s a clip of Master Liew’s Chu Gar Internal Jin Praying Mantis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJTQAUj1lw

In his 60s, Master Liew is in tip-top shape, evident in his delivery. His short range “fa-jin” is really exceptional and at no compromise in speed either.

Besides this empty-hand form, Master Liew also did a stick and double-butterflies knives form; both of which superbly presented.

My next assignment is to visit this Master and record more of this truly rare style…

Warmest Regards.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Ling; 12-29-2006 at 05:23 PM.