Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: On Behalf of Grandmaster Doo Wai

For the most part, you don't read Cantonese, you read CHINESE, with pretty much Mandarin grammar... very few people use local grammar and vocabulary in written form
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I avoided this thread for the longest time but after seeing the other thread with the gim clip I decided to wade through it for some background.

I haven't looked at the website but I'm guessing he only teaches out in San Diego?

I have a friend out there I can track down and see what he knows about it but based on the gim clip it's eather very deep underground or very well known (but not in a good way).

One thing I'm wondeering about all this is does anyone think this thread will reach "Is Shaolin Do For Real" size?

About the gim clip, he must have very high skill. Notice how he manages to move about without ever tripping over that long sash hanging from his waist.

Also, when you slow it down you will see that the movement of the sword tip traces out the characters for "not Bak Mei, I swear".

Oh, and lkfmdc, I think your song reference is incorrectly attributed to Doo Wai. You're confusing him with his brother Doo Wop.

Boy, you guys are pretty bitter. Yao Sing's comment about slowing the Gim clip down was pretty sarcastic, seeing how slow it was. Come on man, I'm not saying anything for or against Doo Wai, but I do believe BFP is actually being taught in China based on the little info I've been able to get out of Chinatown friends. I don't know if it looks like what Doo Wai has shown or not, and don't care since I have no interest in Doo Wai, but rather in filling the vacuum of information that exists about BFP with something other than you guys' opinions.

And as far as Yao Sing's comment, the only reason I made the comment about the empty hand form is because it was too fast to see what was going on. People put clips of other sifus up to compare, but I've yet to see another sifu get off 108 strikes in 44 seconds, to have something to judge it against. I can see why you guys have a low opinion of the form though, I'm not blind. But on my part, I made out clear techniques when I viewed it in slow motion.

And Ross, that's all you're gonna give me? The comment about Chinese being read rather than Cantonese? Be a little more generous than that. I can't read Chinese, and have never been married to anyone in a family of martial royalty (and I think anyone that said Miu Hin wasn't martial royalty would be lying). LOL.

But seriously, I'm starting to get lambasted for my pretty neutral posts, so I'm gonna leave it alone. Plus, I'm a newcomer anyway, so I'll leave this thread to you guys with seniority.

Peace
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Gawd ! This is like a bad daytime soap ! You can go away for days, come back and you havent missed anything new. Just more and more and more of the same.

Here's an idea - why dont the 3 righteous torch-bearers each post direct links to samples of their forms, maybe a weapons form too. And since they are the real masters, I'd love to see some fight clips of each of them. They're so eager to show the bad ... fine .... now show us the good (maybe later I can show you the ugly ). ...so slap some stuff out on YouTube and post the links.
    Thank you !
    "The moon is not affected by the baying of wolves" - TenTigers 6/29/06
    佛山

Faruq

You're right. You're right to wonder why so many people with seniority and respectability are saying, who is this guy, and how does he pass that off as "mastery".

Faruq-
    And as far as Yao Sing's comment, the only reason I made the comment about the empty hand form is because it was too fast to see what was going on. People put clips of other sifus up to compare, but I've yet to see another sifu get off 108 strikes in 44 seconds, to have something to judge it against. I can see why you guys have a low opinion of the form though, I'm not blind. But on my part, I made out clear techniques when I viewed it in slow motion.
    This is a simple equation that show the value of the techniques you mentioned.

108 x 0 = 0

Does it matter if he can move his arms 108 times in 44 seconds if not one of them shows power, intent, ging...?

OK, not proper research, only Googling. But I searched for "Baak Fu Paai" on Google using Chinese characters. I gave up after 8 pages, but all I got was a load of links for a TV series about a Korean criminal society called "Baak Fu Paai".

So this style must be ultra-secret with no web exposure at all.

Here is the search I used. Maybe someone can carry on after page 8, but I kinda doubt there is anything.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Even when I was looking for info on the rarely practiced Lau Gar Kuen (Liujia quan, not the Hung Gar subset stuff) I found online newspaper reports about it. I'm am pretty sure no-one in modern day China is hiding their stuff. People need to make a living and if they have kung fu they will teach it. Maybe not all of it publicly but they should have a presence.

And the sword form video? You don't need to practice the gim to see that the practitioner is not in control of the sword, but that the sword is leading the man. Notice how shaky the control is when he transitions to the reverse grip? Too wide, too open. Where is the gate coverage?

People put clips of other sifus up to compare, but I've yet to see another sifu get off 108 strikes in 44 seconds, to have something to judge it against.
    You don't see people responding because it's a silly arguement. Most teachers aren't going to sacrafice power and structure just to record a fast video clip. Most forms aren't designed to be rush rush rush, and yes, you can get in a hell of a lot of hand movements if you ignore proper footwork and don't put power behind it. Though, still, in many styles even though the form overall is suposed to be at a slower pace, you can find guys getting off 3 or 4 hand strikes in a 1 second period (just check out a fanzi quan form, for example).

Another fast hands clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuH-GYUHyQw

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    I mean no offence by this, the drill is similar to a Filipino Hubud drill I learned.
    Not entirely the same but very similar

You Guys Still At This????