Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Luan Jie Video??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onyomi View Post
    I believe Youknowwho is Taiwanese.
    Other kids called me "foreign pig" when I was little in Taiwan (you know what I mean).

Since HK Hwang Han Shaun had published a book "Dodging Hard Chuan and 18 elders Chuan" (2 forms in 1 book). I think the confusion is in Cantonese and not in Manderin.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-03-2006 at 02:07 AM.

You may be wasting your time worrying about whether it is "hand" or "old man".

I would guess that if you want to get deeper into researching the name figure out why it is "18" Mr 108 can probably give some info on that.

I thought it referred to the 17 styles (hands of 17 Masters) plus Wang Lang = 18 Elders. In that sense it could be either, or both (nice play on words). 18 Hands of the 18 Elders.

So does Steve have to change his name now?

I call him 18 old man.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Any word from Steve O. on his last classy post, or has he been restricted by the group now from posting?

Orginally posted by 18Elders - November 24, 9:30 AM
    listen you ball-less asswipe, i asked to return to the thread of the lanjie video.
    Obviously you lack any kind of respect or you would stop your BS.
    Why don't you post who the fuk you are you chicken****.
    Obviously you don't have anything to contribute so i ask all of us not to reply to him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    I thought it referred to the 17 styles (hands of 17 Masters) plus Wang Lang = 18 Elders. In that sense it could be either, or both (nice play on words). 18 Hands of the 18 Elders.

So does Steve have to change his name now?
    叟 (sou3) really means more like "old man" or "elder" in the sense of "the elderly." It doesn't mean "elder" like we think of as the head of a village or clan or something. That would be more like 長者 "zhangzhe," or in the case of the founder of a style, 祖師 "zushi." Wang Lang is called "Wang Lang Zushi," for example.

I believe the 18 styles of the various masters are called 十八家宗法 "Shiba-jia Zong-fa," (The True Methods of 18 Clans/Families/Styles).

The form should really be translated as something like "18 Hand Techniques." Though the "sou" character is probably a mistake, you could translate that as "18 Techniques to Practice Like an Old Man."
    Last edited by onyomi; 12-04-2006 at 12:21 AM.
    What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?

--The Orange Catholic Bible

Yeah, I agreed that the form should be called 18 hands as in the original name and not 18 elders as thought by WHF. In full, it is something like 18 handforms or techniques (18 Shou Fa) named after the 17 styles and mantis incorporated.

18 elders means 18 old men, I am sure not all of them are that old in their prime to be so called as old men. If it is to commemorate these old men then it should be 17 elders excluding the originator of the form.

Also, 18 hands is a very simple and clear word and is impossible to be confused with the word "elder" by tone or dialects in the olden days.

Regards
    khoo
    Last edited by MantisCool; 12-04-2006 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bungbukuen View Post
    Any word from Steve O. on his last classy post, or has he been restricted by the group now from posting?
    Last I saw him he was punching the bark off a tree mumbling something about internet idiots.

Actually, I'm sure he realizes the futility in getting angry at a ghost with a keyboard and is doing what I do when I take this place too serious.

yu shan

you will always be older than me, hahahahah!!!

Orginally posted by 18Elders - November 24, 9:30 AM
    listen you ball-less asswipe, i asked to return to the thread of the lanjie video.
    Obviously you lack any kind of respect or you would stop your BS.
    Why don't you post who the fuk you are you chicken****.
    Obviously you don't have anything to contribute so i ask all of us not to reply to him anymore.
    Yao Sing,

I am sure Steve realizes the stupidity of his recent post and how poorly it relfects not only upon himself but also his teacher Shi Zheng zhong and the Pong Lai organization (http://www.ponglai.com/bio.htm). I hope he is able to conduct himself with a little more professionalism in the new year.

BBK
    Last edited by bungbukuen; 12-22-2006 at 12:57 AM.