Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Luan Jie Video??

My the things you miss when you don't visit the praying mantis forums for a few weeks!
    Since my name has been bandied about I guess I had better jump in here.

For the record...
    I hold no ill will toward Steve Cottrell.
    When the whole "discipleship" thing came up I stood behind him. It seems the words were Dave Cater's based on conversations with the late Brendan Lai, not Steve Cottrell's.
    Most of the many translations that I did I posted at MQ exclusively, because I felt Mr. Cottrell had provided a great resource and I wanted to back that project. I still feel that MQ is a great resource for the Mantis community. Even though I am now banned from the site.
    I had planned on attending this year's conference and had checked into using vacation time when a date was set. Unfortunately, for some reason the plans fell through. The mantis communitie's loss in my opinion.
    I had also planned on buying a DVD if the price was right and if it was possible to just purchase one without buying the whole set.
    If one reviews my numerous posts at MQ they will see that rather than being against Mr. Cottrell's plans, I tried to support them. That doesn't mean that I didn't ask questions or give suggestions on how things could be done.
    The "grapevine" is wrong! There was never a threat of a lawsuit against Mr. Cottrell that I am aware of. I asked if permission was received to film at my student's kwoon for a commercial venture.
    I asked this question on Mr. Cottrell's forum so that the question could be done openly. E-mails sometimes get twisted out of context. Also, I did not want to be one of many keyboard warriors who spread dissent behind another's back. I respect Mr. Cottrell more than that. So I asked my question openly where there could be no question what was asked, or what reply I received.
    Unfortunately, the reply was a call by Mr. Cottrell to my student's other instructor, who called and reamed out my student, who then asked that I delete my comments. Which I did. A simple, straightforward answer would have been easier.
    Thanks to those who still support me! However, I don't want an issue between Mr. Cottrell and myself to hurt the Mantis community. I don't know Mr. Cottrell personally and I am not a psychic, so I will not try to predict his motivations. That would not be fair.
    I hope MQ, the forum, the Gatherings and the DVD prospers!
    I have gone on with my training and I hope everyone else will too.
    Peace,
    Richard A. Tolson
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 11-25-2006 at 08:34 AM.

Mooying

Thanks for the detailed and on topic reply. No further questions.

Redfish.

Interesting developments,

all though this is not on topic of luanjie, and I may run the chance of being grilled by 18elders wide array of nasty words, I dont want to start a new thread.

From Mooyingmantis' post, I personally cant see grounds for banning him from MQ,
    Does anyone else have any other info/thoughts regarding this?

Also, my net lingo isnt up to scratch, so just wondering what does STFU mean? Stuff You? or have i got it all wrong.

and, what was that picture of? all i could make out was a hand and what looked like half a watermelon or something, although it looks like lubu put a lot of time and effort into it.

finally, do they moderate this board? cause 18elders outburst was pretty hardcore, somebody forgot to take their meds. Although i have to admit i did laugh at Bungbubuttfuk, is that a new form of ling bungbu

Hi Mooyingmantis - like Redfish mentioned, thanks for the sincere update. To me it really does seem like you are getting shafted by Sifu Cotrell. I mean you even stood behind Sifu Cottrell even when he was caught red handed in a lie about being a disciple of another famous master.

Charles - nice artwork. But Im not that good looking.

Orginally posted by 18Elders - November 24, 9:30 AM
    listen you ball-less asswipe, i asked to return to the thread of the lanjie video.
    Obviously you lack any kind of respect or you would stop your BS.
    Why don't you post who the fuk you are you chicken****.
    Obviously you don't have anything to contribute so i ask all of us not to reply to him anymore.
    Steve O - class act all the way. You have to remember that you are still a representative of the Pong Lai organization and Master Shir. I am sure you will be taking some heat from the group internally for that silly mistake, and in a few days will delete your trash. Pong Lai is a classy group and much better than that.

Mi Hou Tao – Mooyingmantis’s posts were deleted from the thread on MQ, so we do not know what exactly was said. But it all sounds fishy though because he said in another post somewhere that he never made mention of lawsuit or being sued. So it sounds like it must have specifically come from somebody else. Question is, who actually made mention of being sued? Maybe they should be held responsible for starting the ugly frenzy, and even banned – not Mooying.

Cheers,
    BBK

heh

Bungbukuen has no credibility period. It seems all he does is troll around on the forums. As a matter of fact this is what he did to my thread here. Strangely enough BBK still has not called the school to ask his questions.

Hi Richard,
    well put my friend!
    All i can say is POLITICAL ******** Surfaces yet again.
    sorry for posting on this thred 18elders.
    train hard and stay well Richard . thanks again for all the translating.

regards Roy (holymantis)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by holymantis View Post
    18elders
    The name of that form should be called "18 hands". In Chinese "hand" and "elder" are prounced the same.

That may be true but then the characters are different, correct?

I was helping a friend with a Lion Dance/Kung Fu show and I did that set. Before I went on I told him I was going to do Sup Baat Sow. He announced to the audience that I was performing 18 Hands.

Since the bulk of the audience was Chinese I hope none of them were familiar with the set.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The name of that form should be called "18 hands". In Chinese "hand" and "elder" are prounced the same.
    Yep, and the character in the form name is the one meaning 'elders'. Well it does in the ones I have seen.

Blog Entries
    Same as Yang Taiji "Well fed tiger returns back to mountain" vs. "Holding tiger and returns back to mountain" that "well fed" and " holding" prounced the same in Chinese. To me, the name is not important. CMA skills donot need any name to be combat effective.

To me, the name is not important. CMA skills donot need any name to be combat effective.
    I don't really know what you're getting at here. Are you just having a bad day or something?

Terminology is not important, merely the application.
    You may want to listen to YKW, he is quite well respected and knowledgable.
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

I undersatnd that part Jake and I know from past posts that YouKnowWho has some serious knowledge. That's why I'm confused about these two opposing viewpoints.

Guess it was just a bad day and he wasn't thinking.

Blog Entries
    Shakespeare might choice “Once Upon a Time in Verona” instead of “The Romeo and Juliet” for the name of his play. Whatever the name that he decided to choice back then won’t affect the great value of his play. It's two different view points but not "opposit".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-26-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Clarification On Pronunciation "手", "叟"

Originally Posted by YouKnowWho
    **The name of that form should be called "18 hands". In Chinese "hand" and "elder" are prounced the same.***

Not so.
    18 elders=== 十八 叟 shi2 ba1 sou3
    (number signifies tone)

18 hands=== 十八 手 shi2 ba1 shou3

So the difference in the words is the SOUND ("SH"-sound, as opposed to "SSS"- sound) MEANING, and CHARACTER.
    Im a student of chinese language at University level and have many native chinese speaking friends. Even though this thread is about dead, i figured I'd post this for general clarification.

Don't know where YouKnowWho learned the language.